PDA

View Full Version : Trawling in Morton Bay and Rivers

thesimmos
24-06-2006, 11:08 AM
Should it be allowed? Or restricted?

Blackened
24-06-2006, 01:16 PM
G'day
It should be allowed but only with the introduction of closed periods and closed areas. Not at all in the creeks and the bycatch is just too great.
Dave

Camo
24-06-2006, 03:52 PM
This really pisses me off. I know that recreational fishers get blamed for depleating fish stocks. But I say that all the recreational fishers on the bay on any given day probably wouldn't take as much fish as one or two trawlers.

At least recreational fishers are selective and the is no bykill. Add to that the damage to the habitat from nets, and you've got the reason why fish stocks are diminishing. How many of you have seen undersize fish for sale in shop. It's not all farmed fish you know.

There is also an attitude that Professional fisherman have. They believe that because they make a living from the national fish stocks, that these stocks are their own personal property, and activly discourage recreational fisherman.

I remember as a young bloke fishing with the old man for tailor in the pummistone passage. You would see the professionals sitting near the Bribie bridge netting them as they came into the passage. You'll be flat out getting a descent sized tail in the passage today.

I think the professional licensed should be bought back and all professional fishing in the bay stopped.

Camo
Cammo

thesimmos
24-06-2006, 06:20 PM
Agreed...

I dont catch much anyways so i am no threat.

The_Walrus
24-06-2006, 07:18 PM
The ultimate wish :D

1. Draw a line from Caloundra to Cape Moreton.
2. Ban all trawling south of that line.

Luc

Biff
24-06-2006, 07:41 PM
It would be nice if the bay was kept for the recreational use only. #Would it make a difference, I don't know. #I can only imagine.

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # Biff

thesimmos
24-06-2006, 11:06 PM
Hi

I am sure it would work great!.

Then there wouldn't be a massive need for all the conservation of alot of different areas. Aslong as people didnt carry on lik tools and misuse the priv.

I tell you what is cool. how you can camp in most places on the side of the bay in brissie and feel safe..

Simmo

Louis
28-06-2006, 09:47 PM
Much of the coastline of Australia is scanterley inhabited and has quite reasonable levels of fish stocks, certainly more than places such as Moreton Bay.

Recreational anglers pay huge sums of money through taxes etc into the economy.

I’m not sure of the exact price but I believe that it costs the average angler when everything is done and said about $65 per kilo of fish they catch.

When I look at the money I have tied up in boats and repairs and fuel etc I can say that this certainly would apply to me.

Subsequently I don’t know why the Government doesn’t buy back as many of the Commercial Fisherman’s businesses as they wish to sell.

I’m not advocating forced buy backs, but instead offer them decent prices and perhaps new licence deals for less populated areas where their catch rates would be higher anyway.

Those Commercial Fishermen who wish to take up the offer would then place less pressure on already stressed areas and those Commercial Fisherman that wish to stay, well that is their right and we should respect their decision.

It appears to me to be a win/win situation for everyone involved.

Louis

Louis
28-06-2006, 09:51 PM
Any Politician who offers voluntary buy backs for Commercial Fisherman in Moreton Bay will certainly get my vote.

Louis

choppa
28-06-2006, 10:42 PM
This really pisses me off. #I know that recreational fishers get blamed for depleating fish stocks. #But I say that all the recreational fishers on the bay on any given day probably wouldn't take as much fish as one or two trawlers. #

At least recreational fishers are selective and the is no bykill. #Add to that the damage to the habitat from nets, and you've got the reason why fish stocks are diminishing. #How many of you have seen undersize fish for sale in shop. #It's not all farmed fish you know.

There is also an attitude that Professional fisherman have. They believe that because they make a living from the national #fish stocks, that these stocks are their own personal property, and activly discourage recreational fisherman.

I remember as a young bloke fishing with the old man for tailor in the pummistone passage. #You would see the professionals sitting near the Bribie bridge netting them as they came into the passage. #You'll be flat out getting a descent sized tail in the passage today.

I think the professional licensed should be bought back and all professional fishing in the bay stopped.

Camo
Cammo

some good quotes there cammo,,, and PLEASE dont take me the wrong way,,,, but when you read into and more importantly,,,understand what you've stated,, please reply,,,,,,

bold 1,,,thats because we do,,,,,study case carried out in qld by dpi&f showed MORE waste in fish per reco,, than pro

bold 2,,,depends on what you mean by ""more selective"",, do yo mean that all rec fisho's target a species and only keep that specific fish,,,or do i go for a look see in the forums here on ausfish and see the ""mixed bags caught by all members each trip,,, myself included??????

bold 3,,,not all fish in shops are farmed,,, and yes alas,,, some are ""imported"" not just from overseas,,, but other states that have smaller size limits,, (dont start yelling,,, i know,, qld limit is qld limit,, TELL the shop owner this)

bold 4,,,pro's are doing a job that pay there bills,,, a quote from a recfish report states that its not uncommon to see some pro boats leaving the marina heavy in the water than that of when they return,,,,(new technology,,,fuel ballast helps getting out through the mouths of some waterways)

bold 5,,,you must be pretty old mate,,, cause if you cant get a bit of tail in the passage today,,, youve got the wrong tackle

more seriously now,,,, its a few good points you have passed along,,, my concern is your reply,,, if you re-read that is,,,following the hundreds of reports that have been aired in this site over the time of this site reflect upon much the same grieveances,, my problem with that is posted in another thread in this forum,,,

the pro's vs the rec fisho,,,,this is and has been aired numerously, in 1 way or another..and the outcome is always the same,,,

have a look through the various sites avail,,,,recfish/sunfish/dpi&f/frdc/aafma/ansa/etc etc etc
the list is nearly endless,,,,

must be something in the water,,,all my replies today are political ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

manchild
01-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Hmmm i dont like serious choppa lighten up mate ;Das for all the treehuggers you would rather see ppl going out legitimate businesses,so you can catch a few fish for fun.Have it occured to you ever that this guys doing a legitimate business and this is the way they know how to feed they kids?
Think about it .Its not them its the system set up for so long .And no f-en no im not a pro fisherman. :D

George

mind your own business

FISHING_ROCKS
10-07-2006, 12:43 PM
i dont think it should be allowed because they scare our fish away do it far out at sea! :'(

bidkev
16-07-2006, 03:07 PM
For the newbies who missed the thread where I was researching by-catch elimination and was pretty pissed off by the trawling of the Pine...........my research showed that most estuarine trawling is concerned with catching what eventually ends up in packeted bait.......we can't have it both ways.

kev

tunaman
16-07-2006, 09:26 PM
Yes! You can have it both ways!
But be careful!

signed tunaman

alvey_fisher_v17c
17-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Hi, I think all commercial fishing should be restricted to well offshore. Moreton bay and other sheltered waterways should be left to recreational fishing. It`s getting harder & harder to catch anything worthwhile in the bay. While fuel costs continue to soar out of control. We need to think of the future.

bidkev
17-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Hi, I think all commercial fishing should be restricted to well offshore. Moreton bay and other sheltered waterways should be left to recreational fishing. It`s getting harder & harder to catch anything worthwhile in the bay. While fuel costs continue to soar out of control. We need to think of the future.

Dunno if this applies to you mate, but there is a misconception amongst rec fishers that there is a commercial fish trawling industry in SE Qld. This is not so, apart for a small whiting fishery. The primary target is prawn.

"Permitted" species

"Operators in the East Coast Trawl Fishery are allowed to keep and sell a number of byproduct species - that is, species taken incidentally while targeting others, such as prawns. Byproduct species (or "permitted species") are an economically important part of the overall catch in the East Coast Trawl Fishery, particularly in Moreton Bay.

Permitted species are blue swimmer crabs, barking crayfish, cuttlefish, mantis shrimp, octopuses, pinkies, pipefish, red spot crabs and Balmain bugs.

Some of these species are subject to minimum legal sizes, take and possession limits and other restrictions, to ensure they do not become a target species over time."

Arguments can be made regarding damage to the sea bed, fatalities via by-catch etc, reduction of the food chain, and damage to nurseries (estuary) but I think it would be wrong to claim that trawlers intentionally damage/reduce rec fishers targetted species, or that the vast majority don't want, (and try to ensure), what rec fishers want, which is sustainability.

I personally believe that the DPI & F is doing all that it can within the constraints of it's funding to ensure a sustainable fishery for both pro and rec fishers.

kev

jim_farrell
18-07-2006, 12:27 PM
If somebody could produce a balanced set of figures on pro's and recs, then I guess I could make an informed decision. It is easy to say let them work further out to sea or not in the bay, They are in the bay targeting species that don't occur out to sea. Until unbiased catch rates can be tabled along with balanced science and weather info, how do we know who is doing what damage.
There appears to be photo's and reports in saltwater estuary every second day with good catches in the bay.

All that said, I believe in offering pro's a BIG incentive to hand in licences.

I don't believe that trawing of rivers or creeks is sustainable, but also say pro's should almost get a lifetime payout for these.

finding_time
18-07-2006, 04:14 PM
Agreed...

I dont catch much anyways so i am no threat.

I'm not suprised wit a head like that, talk about getting hit with the ugly stick!!!! ;) You would scare the fish away for miles. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Ian

tunaman
18-07-2006, 10:24 PM
Mate! she,s a good looking bloke! I would take it home !
Nothing a case of beer wouldnt fix?hahahahahahaha

signed tunaman ;D ::)

Az
19-07-2006, 10:18 AM
fishing at nudgee beach recently and on the incoming tide there was quite a lot of dead fish, appeared to be tailor from a distance that had been washed in with the tide, I am assuming it was dead by-catch from the trawlers but it is hard to prove, dissapointing to see in any event!

Hornblower
20-07-2006, 05:23 PM
I just think it needs to be more closely monitored, and to have difinite closed times for the pro's, even if it means they get compensated for it. But having said that, there are plenty of "illegal pro's" out there doing more damage then all of us put together - and we all know who they are. Yes, of a particular ethnic background and they show up at the boat ramps at about 4.00pm of the afternoon in small boats with huge ice boxes and no sign of fishing gear, except if you look under the false floors. They go out and as soon as it gets dark they net and net and net and then they get there boats in and drive home. I put it to you that they do more damage then any trawler, becuase they do not care how small the fish are etc that they get. >:( >:( >:(

Anyway, my thoughts, there needs to be more fisheries officers and not just working office hours to catch these so and so's.

Cheers ;)

netfish
02-08-2006, 12:08 PM
How about some feedback from rec.fishermen who have experience with areas where there are closed seasons or areas banned to the pros.