PDA

View Full Version : 2st oil shelf life

ericcs
19-07-2019, 10:44 AM
Is there a shelf life for 2st oil. I purchased six 10l sealed plastic bottles of Quicksilver Premium last year for a good price, and it looks like it's going to take a while to burn it up. i can't find anything that resembles a manufacture date?

Chimo
19-07-2019, 10:49 AM
I doubt there is one.

My motors seem happy enough with some aged bulk TC W3

Watching this with interest but.......

Noelm
19-07-2019, 11:24 AM
I have never seen oil go "off" unless it is mixed with petrol, I guess if the time frame from purchase to use is "reasonable" it should be fine.

ericcs
19-07-2019, 12:30 PM
I have never seen oil go "off" unless it is mixed with petrol, I guess if the time frame from purchase to use is "reasonable" it should be fine.

that seems to be the consensus when i googled it, just looking for a bit more assurance. A friend did find some soft lumpy oil in his main tank once, how or why, no one knows!

Chimo
19-07-2019, 12:33 PM
Does one get lumps from mixing different brands of TCW3?

I would have thought one shouldn't as TCW3 is a standard and they should all be equal but ?

Noelm
19-07-2019, 01:00 PM
Lumps in old oil in boats is pretty common, not sure whether it's mixing oils (I did once and it made a mess) or if the oil absorbs water somehow, and makes "rocks"

Chimo
19-07-2019, 01:02 PM
So Noel you suggesting that all TCW3 s are not as equal as we would like them to be!

Noelm
19-07-2019, 01:03 PM
Just to explain, in my old TCW3 days, I always used Shell Nautilus, one time while on holidays I needed some oil and added another brand, a few months later I had to clean the oil tank out, and there was like lumps of clay like lumps in the tank, cleaned it out, used the same brand, not mixed brands, and never had the problem again.

stevej
19-07-2019, 01:28 PM
i thought some couldnt be mixed, minerals synthetics etec oil cant be mixed with others and so on
always used yamalube never had a issue

if the containers are sealed they should last a bloody long time, open bottles are the problem with moisture abosrbtion and oxygen

gazza2006au
19-07-2019, 04:28 PM
Motor oils typically have a shelf life of four to five years. There are several factors that can affect the life of oil, such as exposure to extreme heat temperature changes and moisture. It's better to store oil in its sealed container instead of opening it.

Google...

Evinrude Etec oil has no shelf life

gazza2006au
19-07-2019, 04:29 PM
Does 2 stroke engine oil go bad?

Does motor oil expire? Under optimal conditions (stored in the original, unopened containers at moderate temperatures), motor oil usually remains stable for an extended period of time. ... That said, an engine oil's properties are best if it is used within two years. After that, we recommend replacing the oil.

ericcs
19-07-2019, 07:29 PM
still seems to be a grey area. might just drain the tank under the cowling and check, as i have mixed several brands over the years!

Chimo
20-07-2019, 06:46 AM
Perhaps get one of the Aldi little hand pumps, should make it a little easier.

ericcs
20-07-2019, 10:11 AM
Perhaps get one of the Aldi little hand pumps, should make it a little easier.

good idea, happen to have a hand pump from autobarn!

wags on the water
21-07-2019, 12:45 PM
Is there a shelf life for 2st oil. I purchased six 10l sealed plastic bottles of Quicksilver Premium last year for a good price, and it looks like it's going to take a while to burn it up. i can't find anything that resembles a manufacture date?

I buy DFI Mercury OPTI oil in bulk - can be in the shed for 12-18 months - No issues to date and have had the motor for about 9 yrs.