PDA

View Full Version : Do you prefer to fish alone?

OcciferNick
16-06-2019, 08:42 AM
On the cruise out to my fishing spot yesterday and on the way back home I noticed a lot of boats with only one person on board. Do people prefer to go out by themselves? It was a beautiful Saturday morning so it’s not like it was mid week and people were working etc

I was wondering if like me I’m new to the area and don’t know anyone so only going out with family? Is there guys out there that want to have other guys go on their boats but don’t know how to ask? I know that there is a section for looking for a deckie but I’m thinking more along the lines of looking for a mate to go out with and take turns on who takes out their boat.

Just a thought. I have met a nice bloke at the boat ramp when I helped him put his boat on the trailer and we exchanged phone numbers so we can go out fishing together. Like me he only goes out with his missus or by himself.

Oh and if my wife reads this I love taking you out on “our” boat babe I was just asking questions :)

Noelm
16-06-2019, 09:40 AM
Fishing alone can be good, you have no one to please but yourself, launching and retrieving can be a challenge at times, anchoring and moving can be hard work, but it's not the end of the world. Having a fishing mate can be rewarding too, it can also lead to arguments about "things" at times, but over all, I usually fish with someone, fishing alone can be interesting when something goes wrong, or you hook a big fish and have to do everything yourself, I once hooked a big Yellowfin on .snapper gear just on dark, I had to get the other lines in, pull the anchor up, start the boat and chase the thing for over an hour, all on my own, once I gaffes it, I then had to find a way to get a 71KG Tuna over the side of a high sided cat, on my own, but, if you HAVE to, it's amazing what you can do.

scottar
16-06-2019, 09:49 AM
There are also dangers to fishing alone. Accidentally falling overboard in current or under way, severe hook penetration injuries etc etc. Sometimes shit happens no matter how experienced you are. I used to fish alone a lot many years ago. These days I will still do an inshore run solo in the tinny but pretty much never fish offshore one up.

Ducksnutz
16-06-2019, 10:50 AM
I only fish alone. For me it’s an escape and I don’t have to cater for anyone. After raising a family and doing the “family “ boating things for a couple of decades i want some “me” time and be a selfish old bastard now.

Dirtyfuzz
16-06-2019, 10:55 AM
99% solo, I work week on/off so prefer to fish during the week without any boat ramp hassles and even if a couple of mates do come I usually like to do everything myself as I have a good system but is good to have someone to take the trailer up the ramp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ashtom
16-06-2019, 11:04 AM
I fish alone sometimes and find it very relaxing. Mid week it is fine as the boat ramps are quieter and I can and my time. It can be a bit spooky and I do worry about the "shit hitting the fan". When by myself I wear an auto inflatable life jacket and attach a plb to it, just in case I ended up going overboard for some unexpected reason. I always log on and off with VMR. I do prefer to have another person as it makes it easier to manage overall,but have had times when I can't find any mates available on the day I can go out.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app

Sheik
16-06-2019, 12:27 PM
I like solo, and if I go out with anyone it will be tried and trusted mates. We kno each others strengths and weaknesses so that takes fuss out of it.

OcciferNick
16-06-2019, 01:32 PM
Having a fishing mate can be rewarding too, it can also lead to arguments about "things" at times,

Im not being funny but who bloody argues with someone that has invited you out onto their boat?

shaungonemad
16-06-2019, 03:33 PM
Im not being funny but who bloody argues with someone that has invited you out onto their boat?

My Brother

OcciferNick
16-06-2019, 04:15 PM
My Brother

haha ok family aside

TREVELLY
16-06-2019, 05:01 PM
Many pluses and minuses as people have shown.
When deep drop fishing it is a long haul and can easily be a zero big fish outing so a big fuel burn for maybe one average redfish - I tend to see more benefits solo deep drop as I can also cancel the trip at zero notice if conditions suddenly change - also you may just get one fish for the day and with one person fishing it the other doesn't get your fish :-) - I expect to get better with this type of fishing and will more readily have another onboard once I have some assurety
Reef fishing I prefer other along as it is guaranteed a feed and suited to more than one line - I can easily fish 3 in the boat and have done with 5 before now. As i am comfortable with this type of fishing it is a real bonus to share the fuel bill so you can then do more trips per dollar.
In earlier days I have had others along who think they are doing me a favour coming along - expect to be waited on - expect you to serve them like a charter but offer nothing in return - also some have applied pressure if it is quiet - break tackle and offer no replacement - use and lose gear without any sense of bother - expect tackle and rigs and bait all supplied - explained that they never get sick and not take anything and chuck up all over the place - expect you to keep a spot for them whilst they think about it then cancel the day before the trip - I have had quite a few one trip wonders as I call them.
A few trips back I took a fella out who talked a bit about always hanging on etc then without holding on underway fell against my arm giving me a very sore elbow - obviously soft tissue damage compliments of his 110kg falling against my straighten arm - his response was it didn't hurt him. In addition whilst I was on my knees getting a trolling rig out of the cabin I let him drive for a short spell and he launched the boat over a swell and I free fell onto my kneecap - a knee I have had surgery and staph infection in years back but . . . well you get the drift. Might sound like I am a whinger but . . .
The above aside it is always good to take out others that are worthwhile. Mostly I have found the best people to take are those that have their own boat and tackle as they are nothing like the paragraphs above.

Noelm
16-06-2019, 05:12 PM
I tend to organise trips according to "guests" if I take kids, it's a kids trip, we do kids fishing, and trips are short and are not complicated, a Snapper trip is pretty relaxing affair and easy for visitors of limited ability, kind of like drifting for Flathead, deep dropping is for experienced, non sea sick, prepared to pay their way crew, winter Bream fishing is really simple stuff and suits kids as well as adults, it's shallow water, no sinker, light line stuff, really easy to rig and fish, so, for me, it's a bit of a mixed bag, add in crabbing and lake fishing and I can just about cater for anyone if need be, but I still fish alone now and then.

tunaticer
16-06-2019, 06:52 PM
Mostly solo for me through choice.
I'm not worried about safety issues.

chris69
16-06-2019, 08:07 PM
Most of the time I go solo it's just easyer for me , launching and retrieving doesnt bother me , i dont mind takeing someone out that has his act together fishing and gear wise ,I'm over trying to teach someone and they don't listen and catch nothing and leave when you get home and don't help with the boat to unload and wash down.

OcciferNick
16-06-2019, 08:21 PM
Many pluses and minuses as people have shown.
When deep drop fishing it is a long haul and can easily be a zero big fish outing so a big fuel burn for maybe one average redfish - I tend to see more benefits solo deep drop as I can also cancel the trip at zero notice if conditions suddenly change - also you may just get one fish for the day and with one person fishing it the other doesn't get your fish :-) - I expect to get better with this type of fishing and will more readily have another onboard once I have some assurety
Reef fishing I prefer other along as it is guaranteed a feed and suited to more than one line - I can easily fish 3 in the boat and have done with 5 before now. As i am comfortable with this type of fishing it is a real bonus to share the fuel bill so you can then do more trips per dollar.
In earlier days I have had others along who think they are doing me a favour coming along - expect to be waited on - expect you to serve them like a charter but offer nothing in return - also some have applied pressure if it is quiet - break tackle and offer no replacement - use and lose gear without any sense of bother - expect tackle and rigs and bait all supplied - explained that they never get sick and not take anything and chuck up all over the place - expect you to keep a spot for them whilst they think about it then cancel the day before the trip - I have had quite a few one trip wonders as I call them.
A few trips back I took a fella out who talked a bit about always hanging on etc then without holding on underway fell against my arm giving me a very sore elbow - obviously soft tissue damage compliments of his 110kg falling against my straighten arm - his response was it didn't hurt him. In addition whilst I was on my knees getting a trolling rig out of the cabin I let him drive for a short spell and he launched the boat over a swell and I free fell onto my kneecap - a knee I have had surgery and staph infection in years back but . . . well you get the drift. Might sound like I am a whinger but . . .
The above aside it is always good to take out others that are worthwhile. Mostly I have found the best people to take are those that have their own boat and tackle as they are nothing like the paragraphs above.

I love this post because it actually puts everyone else’s comments into perspective. I still can’t believe though that someone who has been invited onto a boat can behave in such a manner as you have described. (Family aside haha) I personally don’t need money for fuel from anyone that I have asked to come because as I see it it’s my boat and I’m going anyway so I don’t need your money for that. I did work out though that a trip out to 60m, fluff about out there and then back uses about $22 in fuel. I spend $50 on bait haha So I like them to offer to bring some bait maybe a bag of ice and there own tackle, rod etc if they have it. My brother in law has broken 3 rods and dropped 2 overboard haha Twice I have not thinking dived over to try and catch them unsuccessfully lol. This is one of his own rods that he broke haha

If I get an offer to go on someone’s boat I’m stoked as I’ll be meeting new people from the area and hopefully making good fishing mates which could lead to fishing trips up north. As a passenger you need to be guided by the boat owner but more importantly think about what they are offering and how you can help out, fuel money, bait, tackle, food etc. My nephew always wants to chip in but I never let him but he always always insists on taking home all the fish and filleting them. I ####ing love that because I hate doing it lol. I think I just like the idea of sharing that good fish experience with like minded people.

OcciferNick
16-06-2019, 08:24 PM
Duplicate post to be deleted....

OcciferNick
16-06-2019, 08:26 PM
Most of the time I go solo it's just easyer for me , launching and retrieving doesnt bother me , i dont mind takeing someone out that has his act together fishing and gear wise ,I'm over trying to teach someone and they don't listen and catch nothing and leave when you get home and don't help with the boat to unload and wash down.

Yeah not offering to help unload and wash the boat down is crap!
But what type of person does that? Obviously the person that doesn’t get repeat invites haha

catshark
16-06-2019, 08:59 PM
only take my dad or sister nowadays, never strangers or friends, just to much hassle taken randoms. i can see myself doing more trips solo as i get older, as i dont need alot of conversation to pass the time. talking to myself is entertaining enough.

TheGurn
16-06-2019, 11:52 PM
I quite enjoy my own company and feel right at home in a boat by myself.
Having said that, I often take my bro in law out. He's totally useless in a boat. No sense of balance... trips and stumbles over a braid offcut on the deck. Has never learnt to tie any fishing knots and only occasionally remembers to lift the anchor. We fight and argue and turn the air blue... so much so his son in law won't come out anymore coz he thinks one of us will murder the other. It's like having an obnoxious argumentative know-it-all kid on board. We have an absolute ball.
Another mate is the exact opposite. Too willing to lend a hand. Gets in the way of everything I try to do. He never lets on when he hooks a fish. It just magically appears in the boat. He doesn't play a fish out... he bores it to death with hardly any drag. I call him the silent assassin. He's never learnt what a bow roller is for and has taken more paint of the sides of the boat lifting the anchor than anything else. We have a good time too. A real intense competition between us every trip.
I won't let them contribute anything but occasionally they throw a few dollars at me. I buy beer with it.
I won't let them clean the boat coz I'd only do it again behind them. Don't trust them to do it right.
Another friend is just a pig. He throws more bait and berley in the boat than ever gets in the water. Told him to clean his act up.. so he tries to bring a bucket to 'wash his hands'. No idea but great company.
None of them have a clue how to fillet a fish. That's my job too.
I guess it comes down to what you're prepared to put up with.
But solo days are my favourite.

Funchy
17-06-2019, 05:44 AM
I quite enjoy my own company and feel right at home in a boat by myself.
Having said that, I often take my bro in law out. He's totally useless in a boat. No sense of balance... trips and stumbles over a braid offcut on the deck. Has never learnt to tie any fishing knots and only occasionally remembers to lift the anchor. We fight and argue and turn the air blue... so much so his son in law won't come out anymore coz he thinks one of us will murder the other. It's like having an obnoxious argumentative know-it-all kid on board. We have an absolute ball.
Another mate is the exact opposite. Too willing to lend a hand. Gets in the way of everything I try to do. He never lets on when he hooks a fish. It just magically appears in the boat. He doesn't play a fish out... he bores it to death with hardly any drag. I call him the silent assassin. He's never learnt what a bow roller is for and has taken more paint of the sides of the boat lifting the anchor than anything else. We have a good time too. A real intense competition between us every trip.
I won't let them contribute anything but occasionally they throw a few dollars at me. I buy beer with it.
I won't let them clean the boat coz I'd only do it again behind them. Don't trust them to do it right.
Another friend is just a pig. He throws more bait and berley in the boat than ever gets in the water. Told him to clean his act up.. so he tries to bring a bucket to 'wash his hands'. No idea but great company.
None of them have a clue how to fillet a fish. That's my job too.
I guess it comes down to what you're prepared to put up with.
But solo days are my favourite.

Based on everything you had previously written it's no wonder hahahahaa

I mainly fish alone in the estuary (well besides the dogs). I enjoy the solitude however I usually bump into to plenty of locals and get to have a chat. Offshore I'm never alone cos I don't have a boat big enough so rely on the kindness of others to take me or I pay for a charter. When I do go on someone else boat I make sure I pay my way and do my best to be as "pain free" as possible to the skip.

NAGG
17-06-2019, 08:19 AM
Finding a good deckie is like finding a natural pearl in an oyster ....... I'll let you know when I find one :P

In all seriousness I would probably fish more if I had a reliable deckie - I don't mind fishing solo , but sharing an experience with someone is gold & fishing is often about those wow moments.
I've got a mate that I do my big trips with & we've fished together for around 35 years - we've probably averaged 1 big trip a year over the past 15 years ……. It's by no means a perfect arrangement as it kind of feels like a charter arrangement (if you know what I mean) - However I know if I plan one of my adventures , he'll be in 90% of the time and that is important for me because it may involve a 2 week stretch.
There is another mate who lives in Brissy that keeps asking when I'm moving back - The biggest point of contention would be your boat or mine . We both respect what's involved with boat ownership & what it takes to be a good deckie & that goes a long way IMO.

Family trips I do rarely ….. I don't really enjoy it as none of them are boaties / fishoes , so you end up doing everything & wearing the cost . Yeh once a year I usually go somewhere & the young bloke or brother comes along.
In the end , the boat spends way too much time in the driveway whilst I plan my next adventure. That might change a bit now as old mate has retired & bought a place up at Port Stephens ( a great year round fishing destination around 3hr tow North) - For me a weekender is much more preferable than a day trip. If the weather is good - I'll head up there this Friday.

Chris

NAGG
17-06-2019, 08:29 AM
Yeah not offering to help unload and wash the boat down is crap!
But what type of person does that? Obviously the person that doesn’t get repeat invites haha

Too many …. particularly those that don't own a boat.
Sometimes it doesn't work out that they can assist ……. when you pick them up on the way .

Cost sharing is probably the cause of most angst - specially if offshore fishing where it's fuel & bait …… pretty easy to spend
$30-40 on bait & another $150-$200 on fuel & too many just don't get it.

Chris

OcciferNick
17-06-2019, 09:01 AM
I often take my bro in law out. He's totally useless in a boat. No sense of balance... trips and stumbles over a braid offcut on the deck. Has never learnt to tie any fishing knots and only occasionally remembers to lift the anchor. We fight and argue and turn the air blue... so much so his son in law won't come out anymore coz he thinks one of us will murder the other. It's like having an obnoxious argumentative know-it-all kid on board. We have an absolute ball.

This sounds exactly like mine! I’m starting to wonder if he has 2 wives haha
And same here, we both have a great laugh every trip out :)

Crunchy
17-06-2019, 09:34 AM
Happy fishing on my own or with others, either way really..... but I do like to have the company of other boats(s) if far offshore / overnighting for company / safety reasons when I am on my own. I liked Almako's idea last year about getting a group together to head out of Rainbow for a few days...still keen for something along those lines if we can make it happen...

The 1770 M&G were good for that but don't know where everyone has gone now

Dignity
17-06-2019, 11:08 AM
Inshore happy to take the tinnie out and fish all day by myself, offshore I prefer to have someone with me as a bit difficult for me to launch and retrieve plus totally aware that at my age probably not a good idea, and all of the above comments from others apply to me, also I realise that I could be the offender in their eyes but it is my boat. I don't normally ask for costs except for big trips but if bait is supplied I'll take it otherwise I'll do the lot as it is much easier to organise as there has been occasion when the amount of bait provided has been minimal.

My problem is more that family take up the best fishing weather time with other activities and when I can go during the week everyone else cant make it.

OcciferNick
17-06-2019, 12:33 PM
Happy fishing on my own or with others, either way really..... but I do like to have the company of other boats(s) if far offshore / overnighting for company / safety reasons when I am on my own. I liked Almako's idea last year about getting a group together to head out of Rainbow for a few days...still keen for something along those lines if we can make it happen...

The 1770 M&G were good for that but don't know where everyone has gone now

Yeah I would really like to do a rainbow overnighter sounds like a good idea.
Bring on some more good weather :)

552Evo
17-06-2019, 12:33 PM
I like the freedom of being solo, there's no awkwardness as to where you go or when you make a move.
Having family and friends on the boat is nice as a shared experience and definitely worth it but it does become a chore if done too much.
So this happened yesterday- had a great day out solo, coming back in to Port Phillip Bay through the Rip/Heads and if any of you know The Rip, it's like any other bar crossing that requires safety as number 1 consideration. Except the Rip is big, think acres in size big.
So I was making my way in, probably 2-3 meter running swell mixed in with the usual swirling whirlpools and standing waves here and there. I was doing fine until the boat literally dropped into (I don't know what it's called) a hole of water ??
It was definitely fading light, I did see the hole coming and I braced for it, but the boat dropped into this hole and my feet were above the deck a few inches.
I was wearing brand new "boat" gumboots. So when my feet landed I literally lost grip and did the splits as I fell. I ended up flat on my back and instantly had that gut feeling that something didn't feel to good.
At this stage the boat is still in gear and cruising along with me/solo on the deck, the ignition cut out lanyard stretched out to its limit attached to my belt strap.
I knew I couldn't just get back up and take control so I yanked the lanyard and the boat stopped. I took a few seconds to compose myself - no bones broken, no claret on the deck or me. But I tore the muscle in my upper leg doing the splits.
So cruised back a further 20 or so minutes to the Sorento ramp, choosing to ignore the hurt.
Retrieved the boat solo.
Packed up the boat solo.
2 hour drive home - it was worse by the time got home.
No sleep last night because I stupidly thought it would get better overnight with panadol.
4 hours in ER this morning.
But I still prefer solo, I might have to look into some of that deck stick on stuff for grip. Or ditch the bloody boots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OcciferNick
17-06-2019, 12:38 PM
It just reminds you how shit can hit the fan at any moment.
Good time to check all the safety gear!
Actually I just pulled apart and cleaned my bilge pump. I noticed that it stopped last time out.
Turns out a cable tie had got in there somehow.

TheGurn
17-06-2019, 01:06 PM
Too many …. particularly those that don't own a boat.
Sometimes it doesn't work out that they can assist ……. when you pick them up on the way .

Cost sharing is probably the cause of most angst - specially if offshore fishing where it's fuel & bait …… pretty easy to spend
$30-40 on bait & another $150-$200 on fuel & too many just don't get it.

Chris

And that is exactly why my bigger boat does about 20hrs a year. And half of that is running it on the driveway. Not many of my mates own a boat and realise the outlay or can afford to share the costs of a big trip. And I've got to watch my pennies too. If they do manage to put up a few bucks then you feel obligated to find fish for them. Too much pressure and usually too much disappointment to simply enjoy the day whereas the little boat costs about a buck fifty for a day out.

Dignity
17-06-2019, 01:32 PM
Yeah I would really like to do a rainbow overnighter sounds like a good idea.
Bring on some more good weather :)

Sounds like a plan although knowing my luck it'll clash with some event somewhere, I recall OcciferNick that we were going to go out about a year ago but you had some clashing arrangement at Surfers or somewhere.

catshark
17-06-2019, 05:27 PM
Damn pot holes in PPB, doing the splits ohh man that would have drilled . yeah definetly look into some grip, its so underated
I like the freedom of being solo, there's no awkwardness as to where you go or when you make a move.
Having family and friends on the boat is nice as a shared experience and definitely worth it but it does become a chore if done too much.
So this happened yesterday- had a great day out solo, coming back in to Port Phillip Bay through the Rip/Heads and if any of you know The Rip, it's like any other bar crossing that requires safety as number 1 consideration. Except the Rip is big, think acres in size big.
So I was making my way in, probably 2-3 meter running swell mixed in with the usual swirling whirlpools and standing waves here and there. I was doing fine until the boat literally dropped into (I don't know what it's called) a hole of water ??
It was definitely fading light, I did see the hole coming and I braced for it, but the boat dropped into this hole and my feet were above the deck a few inches.
I was wearing brand new "boat" gumboots. So when my feet landed I literally lost grip and did the splits as I fell. I ended up flat on my back and instantly had that gut feeling that something didn't feel to good.
At this stage the boat is still in gear and cruising along with me/solo on the deck, the ignition cut out lanyard stretched out to its limit attached to my belt strap.
I knew I couldn't just get back up and take control so I yanked the lanyard and the boat stopped. I took a few seconds to compose myself - no bones broken, no claret on the deck or me. But I tore the muscle in my upper leg doing the splits.
So cruised back a further 20 or so minutes to the Sorento ramp, choosing to ignore the hurt.
Retrieved the boat solo.
Packed up the boat solo.
2 hour drive home - it was worse by the time got home.
No sleep last night because I stupidly thought it would get better overnight with panadol.
4 hours in ER this morning.
But I still prefer solo, I might have to look into some of that deck stick on stuff for grip. Or ditch the bloody boots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OcciferNick
17-06-2019, 05:35 PM
Sounds like a plan although knowing my luck it'll clash with some event somewhere, I recall OcciferNick that we were going to go out about a year ago but you had some clashing arrangement at Surfers or somewhere.

Yes I was thinking the same thing. We should definitely try and catch up for a fish.