PDA

View Full Version : Call out to all the SHARKCAT fans out there

Ringy35
24-02-2016, 08:31 PM
G'day everyone. I've got a few questions about a boat that I have found laying in a farm shed!! I've been tracking through past threads on here for a while and there seems to be a few guys on here with a fair bit of experience with Sharkcats.
First things first...... the make, model and year??....
I believe it is a 560 sportsman and from what I've picked up the 3 piece window on the front and the anchor well puts it to be around a 89-90 model????
Second... I was pretty impressed when I heard that the boat itself only had about 150 hours on it!! it had been out for 3-4 trips and been sitting in the shed all it life! When I went to inspect it, it looked pretty unloved but I could see past the dust and see the potential of the boat. everything was looking ok until I started screwing off the port holes in the floor.... 2 of the porthole were full of water..... for some reason the owner thought the boat rode better with water in the hull! I don't know how or why he did it but it has been in there for probably the last 15 odd years... after seeing that and nearly giving up all hope on it I've started thinking that the old girl might still get a second chance!!!
so what I am really after is opinions on how much damage could possibly have been done? to take the boat somewhere to have it looked at will be a fair ordeal, getting the trailer ready to tow could be a bit of a job in itself! So the more info I can get now the better.
My main concern is if the actual hull has been water damaged? Ive put a few photos on here I hope they work.
The floor is a bit spongey in the back corner and I haven't even started worrying about the fuel tank and other stuff.. that can all get replaced together.... there was no water against the transom so I guess that is a win... lol.
Will the big girl still float???? any thoughts on this beast are welcome!!!!! Cheers

11246011246211246111246311246411246511246611246811 2469112470112466

Noelm
25-02-2016, 04:40 AM
Great boat, probably one of the best models made (in my opinion) replacing the floor will not be a huge job and the tanks can be looked at when it is all cut open, there will probably be some bulk heads need replacing if it's had water in it all this time.

Noelm
25-02-2016, 04:41 AM
OH, by the way, I would be buying it ASAP if I had the chance.

Ringy35
25-02-2016, 06:46 AM
thanks Noel, I was hoping you would see this post!! do you think there could be any damage to the actual hull with water sitting in it for so long??
what would you think a good price would be for it given the work that needs to be done?

patrol50
25-02-2016, 10:19 AM
mate in my building and restoring experience with timber / ply hartley trailer sailers ( admittedly not a shark cat ) if the water was fresh water in there then any timber and ply it was up against will be more than likely completely totally stuffed - if it was salt water in there or the guy threw quite a few handfulls of salt in the fresh water then you may be lucky and just very soggy but not necessarily rotten right thru and thats a big difference - water up against the internal glass hull should be pretty ok i would suspect may have socked in a bit but not an expert on that - bit of risk though but if its the right price maybe worth the effort to restore they were a good boat
cheers

Noelm
25-02-2016, 11:39 AM
Some of those had flow coat under the floor, but lots didn't, so, assuming it is one that is just bare glass, the timbers inside are all hardwood, and might be OK, the bulk heads a cheap ply, and will almost certainly be rotted to bits, that said, they are not hard to replace, there will be cross over timbers running from side to side, they will/should be OK, getting the new floor in under the side pockets is a real feat! If the price is right, I would jump at it, taking into account the motors could be shot, but those old V4s will take some killing,. That is a very good model, with the bunks in the cab, I looked everywhere for one years ago.

Dean1
25-02-2016, 12:51 PM
10-12k? Considering floor/motors and no electronics or canopy etc you could spend 15k before blinking an eye.
I sold the same boat recently for 23k was tidy with good electronics and alot newer 90s.
Boat= bring on another thousand

Flex
25-02-2016, 12:54 PM
I own a podded 560 sharkcat. Ive recently had it refurbed. Floor came up, everything under the deck was replaced except the transom.Transoms in sharkcats are fantastic usually.

I'm no expert on sharkcat history and how the construction changed over the years. My sharkcat had full glass bulkheads and floor. The only timber in it were the cross overbeams that run full width of the hull.
In mine they were hardwood only glassed where they touched the hull and the rest was a lick of flowcoat. A lot of these beams in my boat were rotten.

If you've had water in the hull for 15y then there is a fair chance these beams are rotten. Polyester isn't totally water proof so id say there would be some sort of water ingress.

Stick your hand inside a hatch and reach up till you feel a crossover beam. See if you can sink your fingernails into it. I could with some of my beams. My floor felt soft cause it was 10mm purefiberglass sheetings flexing as I stood on a rotten beam. if you can get your hand in around inside the transoms tap it with a small hammer and see what it sounds like.

There is also a 50mmx50mm square bit of glass running entire length of the boat in bottom of each sponson. I'm not sure if this is a glassed bit of timber or pure glass. as I never bothered drilling into mine. but maybe check that aswell. I've a feeling its just pure glass as mine sounded find doing tap test.

Best of luck

Ringy35
25-02-2016, 01:40 PM
cheers guys!
did you do the floor yourself flex? cheers for the tips on the timber, if only had a rushed look over it so next time I'll take a bit more time and have a look at what you explained!
I'm the first to admit that fiberglassing is not my strong point so I'd most likely forward that job to someone in the know....
the bunks in the cab are the big ticket item for me too noelm! I'm really after something like that for the kids to be able to camp up in if they want.
I did find some good pics on here of a sharkcat with the floor up. so everything you guys are saying sense 😃

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Ringy35
25-02-2016, 01:42 PM
*makes sense.... lol

mitc69
25-02-2016, 01:59 PM
hmm... another boat project... restoring that thing gonna cost you 15k easy maybe more, looking at the picture of the motor i say there corrosion inside, if it was freshwater in hull pretty much over... boat like that i wouldnt pay more then 5k tops lol but hey that me... just remember you gonna put 4k aside for gps/sounder lol so your looking at 4k already to start off.... if the trailer has rust on it, pending how bad.. small patch normally end up been 1-2k, if it a big overhull expect 4-5k including wheels lol

anyway get a rubber hammer, take a decent swing at the whole boat, then you'll know what your dealing with and how hollow it may be, the transom mostly

Ringy35
25-02-2016, 02:31 PM
yeah mate 15k easily came into mind but at least I know all the work has been done and done properly instead of buying a polished turd for 25....
I haven't committed to it yet... still in the mega research stage!

mitc69
25-02-2016, 02:47 PM
that why u get boat surveyors, so if it is a cut and polished junk, least you got someone other the you who will be accountable for it :D

Ringy35
25-02-2016, 03:20 PM
that's where this one will be going if I decide to take the next step.

Master4Med2
25-02-2016, 05:56 PM
I doubt that the centre stringer running through both hulls would be affected by water ingress. The hull itself being solid glass would still be in good condition, however most of the problems would be found in the deck, transom, 5 under floor bulkheads and 12 cross over beams as the plywood / hardwood used was not fully glassed.
Being a sort after model it would still be worthwhile to restore.
Between $8,000 to $10,000 would be a good price.
If you have handyman skills, you can do most of the work your self.

Ringy35
25-02-2016, 06:02 PM
thanks mate 8-10k was my going figure. the timber work itself doesn't scare me it's just the glass side if things I'm not too keen on.
the boat itself is pretty appealing to me being able to restore an old 'classic' and what you hear about the way they ride just tops it off!!!!

Master4Med2
25-02-2016, 06:23 PM
I own a centre console shark cat similar to Noelm's.
I have gutted it and altered the stern to have a walkway between outboards and a duckboard between pods, using the latest in composite material and epoxy.
I'm nearing completion of the hull, but still have the console and hardtop to design and build, as well as to install the teak deck.

Ringy35
25-02-2016, 06:39 PM
Ive seen your name pop up on a few of the searches I've done on sharkcats on here. sounds like between yourself and noelm you know these things inside out!!! haha
the history and old reviews on these boats are a good read. pretty cool background story on them!

lembo
25-02-2016, 10:23 PM
Hi mate
Pretty unique boat you have found yourself especially the situation of it barely been used. That owner needs a big slap with a wet thong for putting that water in there and especially for leaving it in there.
I own 1/2 a podded sportsman and my brother (flex) owns the other half. like he said our boat has just had everything floor and under restored. ours is a 1991 model made by noosa cat ( I think) so I cant comment on how others are built but can only comment how mine is built.
mine had timer going from one side to another every second one glassed to the top of a full glass bulkhead and every other one just goes across the width of the boat in between bulkheads. theres and upright bit of timber glassed to each bulkhead and an upright going from the keel to the bottom of the other cross over beams.bit hard to explain how its built without photos.
And a full glass floor, no timber.
I had a lot of soft timber. how its built doesn't really help your decision but all you need to do is determine weather the timber under floor is soft or not. I would open every hatch and feel around digging your nails into every bit of timber you can touch. im nearly certain where the water has been sitting it will be soft. my timbers only had glass around the ends and the centre parts just had gel coat which was useless cracked off and exposed the timber easily.
Now glassing is easy, I never done it before and with help from you tube videos and other ausfish members I redone the whole sub structure and floor. its easy and if your a bit handy and have the time you can do it. its just messy itchy and pretty crap to do. I have a lot of photos of the job and can send you a few or PM me if you want my number to have a chat.
But tap , prod, poke every accessible bit you can find, my transom was excellent, super strong and had about 8 thousand layers of glass. but all you can do is assess and understand what your up for if it is screwed.
good luck as they are a great boat.

Ringy35
26-02-2016, 11:20 AM
thanks lembo, good info mate! I have seen some of your posts on here and a few of your pictures. They made things make a lot more sense after seeing them. have you guys finished your boat yet?
If I do end up getting it, I might take you up on your offer and I'll send you a pm.
I'm pretty interested in what the price difference would be between replacing the floor yourself vs paying the pros to do it??? a general figure I had in mind would be around 3k?? would I be close???

koastal
26-02-2016, 07:34 PM
Be interesting to know if it was salt water or freshwater in the hulls ?

Dad always said" believe none of what you hear and half of what you see" (that was way before photoshop)

Ringy35
26-02-2016, 08:18 PM
I was to disgusted to ask koastal.... As soon as he said that he actually put it in there himself I became speechless.. lol

Ringy35
26-02-2016, 08:19 PM
http://aloneatseaphotography.com.au/9650

Good read about a cat if anyone is keen..

mitc69
27-02-2016, 05:24 AM
well i've capsize a cat once from bad trimming lol but yeh nice story

Dr FuManchu
29-02-2016, 08:42 PM
Awesome boat Ringy. Count on getting rid of those old donks as well. Get some new ones on finance and warranty. I've just made the decision to take the old 2 stoke mercs off my Shark Cat and go with new 4 Strokes. Too many gremlins. Should be a good project if the trailer is in reasonable condition and you can move it around safely

Ringy35
01-03-2016, 07:42 PM
Cheers FuManchu, new motors are certainly on the cards! what size cat have you got?

Ringy35
01-03-2016, 07:47 PM
Has anybody that has commented on here got some photos of their cat?? It would be good to see them all, what has been done and what condition they are in!!

Dr FuManchu
01-03-2016, 08:33 PM
Ringy I've got a 700 Series. I'll shoot some pics up tomorrow. Can't seem to work it out on this mobile app

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk