PDA

View Full Version : Too good not to share. Massive spanish

Just_chips
14-08-2015, 06:50 PM
Check this out. I hope we see some more about this, but heres the image that is about to start appearing all over your fishing social media.

Monster Spanish Mackerel caught from the beach off Fraser Island yesterday. Length - 190cm and it weighed 119lb (54kg) and was caught on a live tailor. It's been donated to Fisheries for research and it happens to be the biggest Spanish they have on record. Absolute beast

shaungonemad
14-08-2015, 07:03 PM
All I can think of is fark that is a horse you would need a chainsaw to steak him up.

cuzzamundi
14-08-2015, 10:57 PM
I remember seeing two Spannos whilst spearing off Waddy that were bloody huge. I thought well over 40kg. I wondered at the time if they were really as big as I thought, and I guess it's possible judging by that pic. Massive, massive beast of a Spaniard right there.

Cuzza

hungry6
15-08-2015, 06:32 PM
There would have been a crowd watching him haul that out of the water. Astonishing feat from the beach.

Getout
16-08-2015, 06:11 AM
Hope he didn't share it. It could feed enough people to fill a wing at Royal Brisbane with cigateria.

bluefin59
16-08-2015, 06:45 AM
There would have been a crowd watching him haul that out of the water. Astonishing feat from the beach.

Absolute outstanding catch from anywhere let alone the bloody beach ,I can't wait to read the article that will no doubt end up in a mag somewhere . Does anyone know what sort of tackle he was useing as in rod and reel because I can't get my head around using an Alvey off the beach to catch that monster ...Matt

Gr0wler
16-08-2015, 08:46 AM
If it was caught by the guys I'm thinking it was then they use overheads https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebX038X9OXc

bluefin59
16-08-2015, 09:19 AM
That would make more sense but even so still outstanding but on an Alvey that would be unbelievable. Matt

Jeremy
16-08-2015, 09:52 AM
Far canal!!!

astro66
16-08-2015, 12:06 PM
lol all the small sharks they caught ....they are the babies ...puller 10 footers out with 14 foot rod with 650 alveys 100 pound line ....one year hooked nylon cord to the ute floated out a big tailor under a balloon but straitened the hooks lol ...

Dogtoooth
16-08-2015, 01:42 PM
I remember seeing two Spannos whilst spearing off Waddy that were bloody huge. I thought well over 40kg. I wondered at the time if they were really as big as I thought, and I guess it's possible judging by that pic. Massive, massive beast of a Spaniard right there.

Cuzza

I've only seen one Spanish spearing and she was the furthest fish away from the school, You know they are big in the water when they start to lose the bars on their body and become more silver. I couldn't even get close. Clever fish they don't get big for nothing.

Bremic
16-08-2015, 02:25 PM
Absolute outstanding catch from anywhere let alone the bloody beach ,I can't wait to read the article that will no doubt end up in a mag somewhere . Does anyone know what sort of tackle he was useing as in rod and reel because I can't get my head around using an Alvey off the beach to catch that monster ...Matt

IMO an Alvey would be suitable for the job. Plenty of line capacity, reasonable drag and the reel won't be affected by any beach sand getting into it.

KEMEL K
16-08-2015, 05:16 PM
Have a friend who chases them with his jet ski in the shallows around the spit until that rooted he can drag them up the beach by hand ie no rod reel or even hand line and every bit the size of this one, just targets the biggest he can see. Usually in sept and heading over with him then for a week, and hoping to see it first hand. what a blast!!! cant wait.

Jeremy
16-08-2015, 05:24 PM
every bit the size of this one

Seeing is believing - any photos?

Lovey80
16-08-2015, 11:21 PM
That is a monster. I caught a Spanish fishing off the coast of Oman a few years back. I had a skipper that was helping me chase the fish and I was running wire to mono on an over head. The fight took for ever and by the time I got it in I was so buggered I couldn't lift the tail completely off the ground and the nose was up to my chin height. Would have gone 175cm and 40kg +. How they managed to land this even bigger monster off the beach I don't know.

GBC
17-08-2015, 08:32 AM
IMO an Alvey would be suitable for the job. Plenty of line capacity, reasonable drag and the reel won't be affected by any beach sand getting into it.

We get longtails off the beach on alveys. It is hit and miss. Yes, they carry plenty of line and they are bullet proof and the drag is actually not completely terrible.
The issue we find is the sudden turn of pace of a big pelagic trying to spin up so much mass in reverse often sees the line part at the reel like a gunshot just because the reel can't spin up quick enough to match the pace of the run. Too little drag and it will overrun again under its own momentum.
If this spanno was caught by the mad Saffa crew, they send their baits that far out it really doesn't matter so much. We lob liveys out so the fish is very green and very close when it takes off.
That is a horse of a spanno.

ddobson
19-09-2015, 12:26 PM
That is huge. I had a mate said he was there and said a few hooked from beach with some good green backs.