PDA

View Full Version : Capsize off Moreton

SummerTrance
09-08-2015, 12:12 PM
Heard on the radio that a boat capsized off Moreton this morn and tragically there has been one fatality, with two others rescued.

Thoughts go out to family and friends.

SummerTrance
09-08-2015, 12:32 PM
One person is dead and two others have been taken to hospital with hypothermia after a boating incident in Moreton Bay waters, north of Brisbane.
An Australian Maritime Safety Authority spokesman said the Queensland Government Air Rescue 500 helicopter was dispatched after an emergency beacon was activated just before 7:00am.

The helicopter picked up three people on an upturned 5.6-metre-long boat about 16 kilometres north-east of Cape Moreton.

One person was dead, and the other two were taken to Brisbane's Princess Alexander Hospital in a stable condition

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-09/one-dead-two-taken-to-hospital-after-incident-in-moreton-bay/6683568

snapperbasher
09-08-2015, 01:36 PM
..condolences to family and friends...😞

aussiebasser
09-08-2015, 02:03 PM
A 57 year old Beachmere man. So sad.
http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/blog/2015/08/09/death-investigation-cape-moreton/

Prowl n Wolf
09-08-2015, 03:09 PM
Terrible news. Condolences to family and friends.

Jsmfun
09-08-2015, 06:46 PM
Condolences to the family's I wish them all the best.......

conditions where great were great weren't they 1m swell at13-15 seconds
i have to think someone must have done something wrong ?

scottar
09-08-2015, 06:55 PM
Condolences to the family's I wish them all the best.......

conditions where great were great weren't they 1m swell at13-15 seconds
i have to think someone must have done something wrong ?

Not necessarily. At this stage it could be anything from a hull failure to a whale strike to a cat that got flooded on one side and laid down - all conjecture and irrelevant. Until/if the facts are made public, then we will know. Until then condolences to those involved.

SummerTrance
09-08-2015, 07:13 PM
It was on 9 news. They said got hit by a wave which stalled engine. Next wave turned them over. The boat was only purchased yesterday, and I believe it was a cat, so maybe the jokes can get a rest.

Jsmfun
09-08-2015, 09:25 PM
I mean no disrespect to the people onboard or who this has impacted. I boat on my own offshore and am personally trying to understand how this could happen on such a good day
i need to explain to the wife otherwise I have to stay on the beach???

lethal
10-08-2015, 04:55 AM
I was out there about 1pm, far from a nice day. did one drift and came in shallow. there was big swell and from what I understand it was only a 5.6m boat. Being in those conditions I can see how easy it happened.

Jsmfun
10-08-2015, 07:31 AM
so was BOM,willyweather,seabreaze,and bouyweather all wrong i was at seaworld and took the kids to the beach and it was great weather

rtp1984
10-08-2015, 09:05 AM
I was off rainbow yesterday morning. It was near 20knots, fair swell, very average conditions.
Not what we were expecting from the forecast.

ShaneC
10-08-2015, 09:05 AM
Yes mate, you have it very wrong. I was offshore yesterday and do it for a living so feel qualified enough to comment on the conditions yesterday as I am out in all sorts. Yesterdays conditions are best summed in one word. Shit. Every bit bad enough to put a boat you dont know well on its head. Im glad the weather was good for you at seaworld but it was rubbish where they were.....

Jsmfun
10-08-2015, 10:15 AM
thanks guys i can understand whats going on now ...
it was a very sad day for these guys just trying to have fun and doing what they loved my condolences to them

lethal098
10-08-2015, 10:44 AM
agree very sad day for sure,

WOuld be interesting to know how it happened though, we have all been offshore in small boats, and even in those bad conditions it would be hard for a boat to be swamped and turned over, unless something went terribly wrong, like retrieving an anchor while tied off on the stern. I wonder if they were at anchor or drifting,

but i suppose we may never know the full story will we.

Jsmfun
10-08-2015, 11:26 AM
agree very sad day for sure,

WOuld be interesting to know how it happened though, we have all been offshore in small boats, and even in those bad conditions it would be hard for a boat to be swamped and turned over, unless something went terribly wrong, like retrieving an anchor while tied off on the stern. I wonder if they were at anchor or drifting,

but i suppose we may never know the full story will we.

hence my first post (something went wrong) apparently they were trying to reposition the anchor when it all unfolded

Fed
10-08-2015, 01:38 PM
I think it's strange that when there's a road accident there seems to be a lot of details released but with boating accidents it's as if the authorities & press try to hide the truth and/or muddy the water.

Not just this particular accident, finding out any marine reated accidents is like trying to find out the masonic secret handshake.

Kiwifisho
10-08-2015, 04:34 PM
Condolences to all familys involved a very sad tragedy.

Bustedoff
10-08-2015, 04:43 PM
[QUOTE=Fed;1596391]I think it's strange that when there's a road accident there seems to be a lot of details released but with boating accidents it's as if the authorities & press try to hide the truth and/or muddy the water.

I've got no real idea, but maybe because in a road accident, it's easier to see what has happened, with tyre marks and other physical evidence. Once a boats sunk in deep water it's a lot harder to figure things out.
People's recollection of stressful events can vary to a great degree as well

Crunchy
10-08-2015, 04:43 PM
I think it's strange that when there's a road accident there seems to be a lot of details released but with boating accidents it's as if the authorities & press try to hide the truth and/or muddy the water.

Not just this particular accident, finding out any marine reated accidents is like trying to find out the masonic secret handshake.

All incidents get published and are available for the public record, but yeh can be years later.

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/About-us/Marine-incident-annual-reports.aspx

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Safety/Safety-reports.aspx

Shark Poker
10-08-2015, 05:11 PM
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6c1_1439099938

Crunchy
10-08-2015, 06:29 PM
They do a good job those rescue blokes

Fitzy
10-08-2015, 06:37 PM
Sad news indeed. Condolences to their friends and family.

A timely reminder to all of us to double check our safety gear is in good condition & being used where it should be and practice our emergency proceedures.

TheRealAndy
10-08-2015, 08:53 PM
Yes mate, you have it very wrong. I was offshore yesterday and do it for a living so feel qualified enough to comment on the conditions yesterday as I am out in all sorts. Yesterdays conditions are best summed in one word. Shit. Every bit bad enough to put a boat you dont know well on its head. Im glad the weather was good for you at seaworld but it was rubbish where they were.....

I flew out there over the weekend to take people to see the whales. Given how nice it was on the ground and in the air I was actually quite surprised how shitty it looked from above. South passage bar also looked angry.

Almako
10-08-2015, 09:45 PM
Came back through the bar Saturday arvo. Sitting outside it looked massive, but when I approached I got a better look and there was this amazingly flat channel straight through. The channel was about 150m south of the original middle channel marks I got from BC. I've found two extra middle channels lately that have been flat as in certain conditions.

Condolences to the families of this terrible accident. It certainly is a reminder that our sport can be a dangerous one and a reminder how important it is to do everything we can possible to prevent accidents from occurring such as checking and replacing the safety gear, storing it in an appropriate place on board where it's accessible quickly, and that we log in and out for the day, and through the bar, and maintain our boats etc. Now I know you can do all this and accidents can still occur but if it's all we can do to reduce the risk then it's as good a reminder as we'll ever get.
Lastly I understand this was a new boat so everything should have been up to scratch. Would really like to know what type of boat and just what happened so we can all learn from it.

Shagga
10-08-2015, 09:54 PM
The boat could have been second hand. News reports stated they picked up their new boat on Saturday. A new boat to them could be either.

jmwarner
11-08-2015, 09:00 AM
Detail were understandably a bit vague but heard somewhere one of the guys dove under to get the epirb just before it went down which made me think mine in in the cabin which is easily accessible but if something were to happen I couldn't grab it in a second so I am moving mine beside the steering wheel. Just food for thought for everyone out there no point having it if you cant get to it when you need to.

JEWIENEWIE
11-08-2015, 09:24 AM
A bit like carrying a fire extinguisher in your vehicle, Its best to be able to have it in reach of the driver. That way worse case scenario the driver is trapped, you can reach behind, or next to you and grab it if in need. Imagine being trapped in your car, it starts to smoke, and you are looking at your extinguisher but cant reach it. And one more tip, make sure your extinguisher is fitted with a hose. Majority of fires start under the dash board of your vehicle. Like trying to use a can of spray paint upside down, wont work.
My thoughts are with the Family and friends involved, Rest in Peace mate.
JN

Bremic
11-08-2015, 09:25 AM
Detail were understandably a bit vague but heard somewhere one of the guys dove under to get the epirb just before it went down which made me think mine in in the cabin which is easily accessible but if something were to happen I couldn't grab it in a second so I am moving mine beside the steering wheel. Just food for thought for everyone out there no point having it if you cant get to it when you need to.

And your fire extinguisher.

lethal098
11-08-2015, 11:33 AM
why not put all your safety gear, V Sheet, Flares, Epirb, Extinguisher, all in a single Grab Bag and have it easily accesible, like hanging on your seat or similar so you can grab it all in one hit.

GBC
11-08-2015, 01:43 PM
Yep, always used a bail out bag in a side pocket. Everything is in there. Must have gone quick to not be able to get jackets on.

Jsmfun
11-08-2015, 01:54 PM
why not put all your safety gear, V Sheet, Flares, Epirb, Extinguisher, all in a single Grab Bag and have it easily accesible, like hanging on your seat or similar so you can grab it all in one hit.
i brought one of those bags from the camping place it lives connected to my seat

scottar
11-08-2015, 02:40 PM
Yep, always used a bail out bag in a side pocket. Everything is in there. Must have gone quick to not be able to get jackets on.

If indeed they were pulling a pick, it can happen at lightning speed - be lucky just to hang on let alone get a lifejacket on. Many moons ago I was attempting to free a stuck anchor on the 35's. With about 125 metres of rope out, connected to the bow and as much power applied as I dared - no joy. As I backed the power off we reached a point where the elasticity in the rope took over and spun us on the spot quick enough to put the prop through the rope before I could get the throttle to neutral - one of the scariest moments in my time offshore - and this was in good conditions. Stuff like this can catch out the most experienced of operators - as an example the tug that was girted and rolled that drowned a pilot in Gladstone harbour.

salty23
11-08-2015, 03:42 PM

Unfortunately there is a stigma attached to boat accidents assuming the majority could have been avoided with better planning and decision making etc ... call it a macho thing as the majority of us don't like to admit when we screw up... i started a thread a few years back explaining a close call which occurred because I made an error of judgement. Guys were lining up to tell me what a D head I was, even though the intention of the post was to educate and I had admitted the screw up... Would I start a similar thread again? Maybe... but would probably say it happened to a mate of mine... One thing is for sure... this topic has compelled me to reassess where I position my safety gear.

cuzzamundi
11-08-2015, 09:37 PM
If indeed they were pulling a pick, it can happen at lightning speed - be lucky just to hang on let alone get a lifejacket on. Many moons ago I was attempting to free a stuck anchor on the 35's. With about 125 metres of rope out, connected to the bow and as much power applied as I dared - no joy. As I backed the power off we reached a point where the elasticity in the rope took over and spun us on the spot quick enough to put the prop through the rope before I could get the throttle to neutral - one of the scariest moments in my time offshore - and this was in good conditions. Stuff like this can catch out the most experienced of operators - as an example the tug that was girted and rolled that drowned a pilot in Gladstone harbour.

Having had my anchor stuck more times than I can remember, at depth, never did I consider this to be a possible outcome. Cheers for the heads up.

Cuzza

CruiserV8100
11-08-2015, 10:02 PM
Gives us all a healthy respect for the ocean when we lose one to mother nature. Be it a capsize or death, we are all in the firing line being out on the blue.. Start a sticky thread with incidents or accidents we have had, there is only education and experience to be gained from each others mistakes.

Safe travels..

kizza1
11-08-2015, 10:58 PM
http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/beacons-a-pot-of-gold-epirb/2735497/
this article seems to indicate it was a 121mhz analogue epirb (older style) which would explain why it took so long between the accident and when they were picked up considering there location.
rescuers obviously did a great job but one would hope in an emergency there would be a quicker response than almost a couple of hours if a newer registered 406 epirb went off as well as logging in with the coast gaurd.

HanginOut
12-08-2015, 06:18 AM
Hopefully with the flotation regs that came into play for all new vessels built from 2006, in time there'll be less fatalities as people will have something to hang on to.

scottar
12-08-2015, 08:51 AM
http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/beacons-a-pot-of-gold-epirb/2735497/
this article seems to indicate it was a 121mhz analogue epirb (older style) which would explain why it took so long between the accident and when they were picked up considering there location.
rescuers obviously did a great job but one would hope in an emergency there would be a quicker response than almost a couple of hours if a newer registered 406 epirb went off as well as logging in with the coast gaurd.

If it transmitted a serial number it is a 406, it just hadn't been registered which given they apparently picked the boat up the previous day is highly probable. The earlier 243/121 MHz beacons didn't transmit any form of identifier. This was the issue with the Sydney to Hobart that went drastically wrong. With the old beacons, in a multiple incident situation, unless each beacon was recovered and deactivated, the authorities had no way of knowing there were others in danger. With the 406 system, even if not registered, each beacon is transmitting unique identifiers so recovering the beacon after a rescue to turn it off is not a prerequisite to knowing there are others in trouble.

salty23
13-08-2015, 02:12 PM
Unfortunately, and I am guilty of it myself, how many of us will upgrade their fishing tackle and sounders but be quiet happy to have the $30 PFDs in their boat... have a sealed floor with 1 low volume bilge pump...flotation? how much and is it really necessary?..etc.. the answer is yes if you are serious about giving yourself and crew a real chance in an emergency situation... Mandatory for those who plan to do mostly offshore... sounds like a job opportunity? Safety audits? be a good revenue raiser for the govt? How many lives could this potentially save? How many saved would make it worth while?... 1 me thinks...potentially your own?... People think they can go to the boat show and buy a flash rig with safety gear included and take it out to the trench? ...no reference intended to this situation... we are always learning cause it is extremely difficult to prepare for every potential calamity...near misses are a blessing because they prepare you for next time...

scottar
13-08-2015, 03:01 PM
Unfortunately, and I am guilty of it myself, how many of us will upgrade their fishing tackle and sounders but be quiet happy to have the $30 PFDs in their boat... have a sealed floor with 1 low volume bilge pump...flotation? how much and is it really necessary?..etc.. the answer is yes if you are serious about giving yourself and crew a real chance in an emergency situation... Mandatory for those who plan to do mostly offshore... sounds like a job opportunity? Safety audits? be a good revenue raiser for the govt? How many lives could this potentially save? How many saved would make it worth while?... 1 me thinks...potentially your own?... People think they can go to the boat show and buy a flash rig with safety gear included and take it out to the trench? ...no reference intended to this situation... we are always learning cause it is extremely difficult to prepare for every potential calamity...near misses are a blessing because they prepare you for next time...

Be careful what you wish for. As a professional seafarer exposed to the expense and red tape involved with this sort of thing, I feel reasonably confident in saying this would be the death of amateur small boat offshore fishing for all bar the wealthiest. The cost of compliance to meet AMSA standards is huge, the goal posts continually shift as yet another pencil pusher decides this would be safer than that and there is enough red tape and bureaucracy to make your head spin. Not to mention the continual training and additional courses required to keep your "offshore" validation (which may well be the next thing) which usually come at a staggering cost due to having to be with an AMSA approved training organisation and yet accidents and deaths still occur.

At some point in time we have to get out of this "legislate to save lives" mentality and come to the graphic realisation that some of the stuff we do is inherently dangerous and sometimes tragic accidents happen. No one forced us to be in the situation and so we should take responsibility for ourselves.

GBC
13-08-2015, 05:44 PM
Back in the bad old days in the pigpens in cairns, the gulf fleet was only ever in port for a quick refit over Christmas. Survey time would be booked by about 5 boats tied up near each other. Jimmy the surveyor would jump on the first boat and complete his survey, then the skipper would make him a coffee in the saloon and hand over an envelope and have a chat while 10 deckies moved all the flash gear onto the next boat. This was repeated all day long. We all had safety gear, but some of the 'extras' were a group buy type thing. Back in the 80s when the unit tax was introduced half the fleet was repossessed and had a guard sitting on them. Money was tight.

Shark Poker
13-08-2015, 07:46 PM
The (Cairns) Pigpens. That brings back memories.

On my first day of work, the Captain stated that - as I had put down 3 layers of paint on the front deck that day, I had earned my dinner. (Imagine saying that to your employees these days)
Also you did your shift on anchor watch at night. Using compass, lights and bearings. (This was before the days of GPS and anchor alarms).
Also we kept a close and consistent monitor of the other vessels by radio.

GBC
13-08-2015, 08:43 PM
Yep, navigating with dan buoys and listening to half a dozen frequency scanners and descramblers all night and day. Pro fishing was great fun, everyone should do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk