PDA

View Full Version : 1770 weekend spearing

Te Whiti
27-07-2015, 06:48 PM
Haven't posted in a while on Ausboat....mainly because I feel it's turned a bit more into a boating chat site than a fishing report chat site and I don't tend to chat much about boats, certainly no offence meant by that.

Went out from 1770 with my brother (Schuey) and a mate for a couple of days looking to have a spear after a few recent line fishing trips.

We hit a few marks we knew but also searched around for new ground... On the marks we knew it was a bit quiet, very fishy but quiet for the species we were after. But with a bit of persistence in times when we felt like cracking a can at the end of the day some opportunities arose. Dusk, lack of wind, lack of current. We shot 5 Reds between us and pretty much took our bag of trout. We ate a couple of the legal ones (of course) on board and ended up with a few in the esky. Hit some nice Maori Cod, Mangrove Jack and also Blue barred Orange parrot, Steephead parrot and Black Wrasses which we wouldn't typically achieve on line so that's nice for a change.

But we did miss some honker trout amongst our lot due to bust offs and sharks...We were generally quite selective on size and only looking for the big boys but when the sharks got excited we would be losing them and Tuskies/Reds before we could get them in. One particular bronze whaler was very aggressive and had to be made an example of after charging Ben several times....I'd imagine that bronzy is sulking in a cave about now - if he's still breathing.

All in all, another fun trip though, weather was great albeit the S/SE that made things annoying during the middle of Saturday but great to be out in the big blue again. We've all had our fix once more.

Hope you all got out and about and used the window of weather.

Mark

Moejoes
27-07-2015, 07:05 PM
Some nice fish there Te Whiti & crew.
How deep do you guys dive too?

The Silver Unicorn
27-07-2015, 07:06 PM
How deep do you spear the reds?

Nick H
27-07-2015, 07:09 PM
Good post mate, you guys cleaned up, you gotta hit 30m to get fish like that off the sunny coast

Te Whiti
27-07-2015, 07:13 PM
A few more pics

Lucky_Phill
27-07-2015, 07:37 PM
Good fish there guys.

mate, you'll always encouraged to post up reports.

Hope the water wasn't too cold for you and appreciate the Bronzie situation.

Us line fishers cop a flogging sometimes by the " Men in the Grey Suits ".

Cheers LP

Jsmfun
27-07-2015, 08:04 PM
Top effort boys gotta be happy with a quality feed like that congrats

-Chris-
28-07-2015, 08:25 AM
Did you get an video of that shark? It'll be a Dusky most likely rather than a Bronze whaler, don't get them this far north.

Te Whiti
28-07-2015, 10:36 AM
Hey Moejoes, varied diving abilities but generally in the 20m+ when needed.
With good vis and you see a cracker at the bottom, somehow you find your way there...

Short Fuse
01-08-2015, 11:10 PM
Hey Mark. Some great fish there - well done. Those sea conditions in the background of the photos look unreal.

I'll give you a call during the week to catch up.

cheers

Jeff

cuzzamundi
02-08-2015, 07:39 PM
Did you get an video of that shark? It'll be a Dusky most likely rather than a Bronze whaler, don't get them this far north.

Very true. Could also be a Long Nose Whaler, or Sandbar. They all look the same under there at times, and work for the same person - the bloody tax man!

Awesome session, mate. The vis sounded amazing, too.

Cuzza

94patrol
04-08-2015, 07:25 PM
Are the reefs out very far from 1770 looking at going their oneday

Lucky_Phill
04-08-2015, 08:15 PM
Are the reefs out very far from 1770 looking at going their oneday

an interesting question and one that can't be answered easily.

By reef do you mean bottom structure or as we do, the islands ????

The substrate from the headland is mainly sand, rubble etc and the bait grounds are some some 1.4k's out and this area holds good slimies ( at times ) yakka and other mis-fits. It is also a reef substrate that holds reef species and the odd Cobia.

Then if you travel out about 10 - 16k's you'll find other substrates including weed / fern. Head NE and you'll hit the are known as Inner Wides and then the Outter Wides. Good reef structure.

Travel east of the headland some 55k's and you'll reach Lady Musgrave Island.... this island and it's protected lagoon is at the southern end of the Capricorn Bunker Group. There are many islands / reefs that are north of here. Fairfax, Hoskyn , Boult, Lewellyn and Fitzroy Lagoon.... being some 30k's north of Musgrave.

If you head due north of the bar at 1770, some 21k's will be Bustard Head and the 3 rocky out crops,, being Inner, Middle and Outer Rock.

use this link to have a squizz and also note the Green zones etc.

http://www.gbrmpa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/28124/Map18-GDA94.pdf

cheers LP

94patrol
08-08-2015, 05:50 AM
Ok thanks mate

bondy99
25-12-2016, 04:59 PM
G'day Te Whiti,

Good fish , been a few years since I've been spearing my lungs are not what they use to be. I'll be lucky to free dive 10 metres these days, Scuba tank no probs.

I still like the idea of selective fishing, good area , see any crayfish when you was there?

Cheers, Bondy