PDA

View Full Version : Service Cost For Outboards

Chimo
18-04-2015, 01:58 PM
Just out of interest what does it cost to service Evinrude Etecs in a range of sizes.

Not talking about fresh water with no dealer service for 3 years but salt water that needs annual work done.

G2 again fresh, appear to be talking 5 years but surely thats not the case in salt water?

Cheers
Chimo

PS Prompted to ask based on the costs being mentioned for 4 strokes, and I seem to recall a friend with two 200 HP Yams some years ago was talking 12 to 15 hundred for the two.

scottar
18-04-2015, 03:52 PM
From memory Chimo, last service cost me about $500. This was with a new set of Iridium plugs on a 200HO about 3 Years ago. Personally I don't have an issue with a 5 year service interval provided the owner is on the ball with the day to day stuff with a bit extra annually. If you want to do nothing besides drive it and wash it then annual servicing is probably a good idea.

paullee
18-04-2015, 04:30 PM
The "first" service done a month or so ago on my 2012 130hp cost $586 inclusive. Pretty sure the yearly one wouldn't be this much.....

rayken1938
18-04-2015, 05:38 PM
Quite a few things to consider with service costs.
If you are servicing an old technology 2 stroke they are fairly generic and anyone with a few years of experience under their belt should be able to do a competent job even of they are not trade trained.
With later hi tech motors I personally would not leave anyone who is not factory trained lift the cowl off my motor. All motors have a factory recommended check list for a reason and its not just to pad the bill. The manufacturers have a vested in their motors having a long life and resultant customer satisfaction and loyalty.
When I used to get my merc 4 stroke serviced at Wondall Rd marine there was a large sign on the wall advising the service costs of most of the popular models. This does not happen at the current merc dealer that I use.
Maybe in the future we will see a move to servicing similar to the car industry
The car industry has really changed over the last few years introducing really long warrantys combined with lifetime fixed price regular servicing.
For example I have just had a 60k service done on my Hyundai by a Hyundai dealer and the cost was $490.It took a little more than 2 hours from the time I arrived to the time that I left but I do not know their hourly rates or time actually spent.
There is a website where you can get a quote from all your local service places and the prices varied from $390 to $550.
I would be dubious of the competency of the mobile guy with the $390 quote and what would happen if he discovered something that was a warranty issue not to mention that he probably would not have a diagnostic computer and may or may not have access to factory recalls or updates.
Considering the value of my investment with the fact that it will have to last a long time I am happy to pay a little more for peace of mind.
Cheers
Ray

stue2
20-04-2015, 05:44 PM
Hi mate. Will have mine in soon. Last one was a while ago and wasnt 600 for both. Just plugs in one but not a schedule service. In 5 years I have replaced one starter motor, a trim sensor, trim switch and some plugs touch wood

sandbank pete
20-04-2015, 08:15 PM
annual service recommended for salt water usage with the Etec is a simply a check-over, grease and lower leg service. I just got my 2013 130 done and didn't cost that much less than a couple of hundred anyway, cant remember exactly because I got other work done (new prop and stuff)