PDA

View Full Version : 7 pin or 12 pin plug

sam687
04-03-2015, 09:01 AM
Hi all,

Im in the process of getting everything sorted to pick up the new boat however, i have a few issues.

1 - The trailer requires electric/hydraulic brakes with a breakaway pin. this part is fine as it is all currently fitted to the trailer.
Issue is, the trailer is rego in QLD so there is no requirement for the aux battery on the trailer to be charged from the tow vehicle as there is in NSW where i will be registering it.

how do the people of NSW deal with all these wires use a 7 pin plug and use the spare pin No.2 as a charge wire for the aux battery on the trailer?

2 - there is also a requirement to monitor the status of the aux battery from the drivers seat, the trailer is fitted brakesafe 6000.

this is going to require another wire to be run to the monitoring device installed near the drivers seat. this now gives me 8 wires so would i best to install a 12 pin plug?

my other thought is i could run a 7 pin plug to deal with all the lights, electric brakes and charging of the aux battery but replace the battery monitoring device with towsecure as this is a wireless connection to a device that plugs into the cig socket near the driver and provides monitoring.
this wireless solution seems to be best in theory as i am able to move it to other vehicles depending on who is doing to towing.

i hope this is clear and any examples or advice would be great.

Cheers Sam

aussiebasser
04-03-2015, 12:24 PM
Could you not use the wire you will be adding for charging the battery as the voltage return wire. Won't both wires be attached to the positive battery post?

sam687
04-03-2015, 12:34 PM
the aux battery monitoring is not just a voltage reading, it is a battery condition indication provided by a module on the aux battery (this is how i believe it works) so it needs to be a separate wire.

gofishin
04-03-2015, 08:27 PM
Hi Sam,
You will need 12V to pin #2 else your hydraulic brake pump won't work, regardless of what the EBC is telling it to do. No power, no pump, no trailer brakes!

The battery is obviously there for the 'breakaway event', where power from the car is no longer present.

If I recall correctly, on my rig (USA trailer), to charge my trailer/breakaway battery I need to have my car lights on (must use a relay in the break unit I assume).

I don't have any monitoring for the trailer battery though.
Cheers
Brendon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PB
05-03-2015, 10:42 AM
GO the 12 pin mate, you need the heavier pin to charge the battery and run the pump.

sam687
05-03-2015, 12:44 PM
thanks for the advice, will look at getting the 12 pin to carry the required 30amp.