PDA

View Full Version : Blacks of the cape double hookup

Jsmfun
03-12-2014, 09:18 PM
106648106649106650Went for a troll this morning of the cape and landed my first ever black marlins
I actually got a double hookup and landed them both solo.
First fish was on my short rigger and the second smashed the long rigger after about a minute whilst I was bringing in the teaser and other rods.
now at this point I was worried as I was solo. And never actually catching one before this was going to be interesting after about ten minutes of fighting the first fish of about 20-25kg the one with the blue/white skirt I was one happy chap .
with a perfect release on to the second one it was a better fish and had taken 3-400m of line whilst I was dealing with the first fish
after a great fight and some chasing with the boat I got the line back but he was another 10-15kg bigger and I was having great difficulties removing the hook but then he spat it while I was holding the leader IMO that's landed
so I'm a very happy man I got both in 23m of water about 4km north east of the lighthouse

Buddy01
03-12-2014, 11:03 PM
Great stuff on getting both fish in!!

Horse
04-12-2014, 07:37 AM
Nothing better than knocking over a good fish solo and you doubled up. Well done

Harmytage
04-12-2014, 08:47 AM
Well done jsmfun, that's great I went out a bit north of you yesterday and also hooked a pair of small blacks will post a report later today it was a cracking day all round .
Cheers

PROS
04-12-2014, 04:10 PM
Well done mate, excellent solo work.

Looks like blacks were biting both skirts and divers.

Jsmfun
04-12-2014, 06:20 PM
Well done mate, excellent solo work.

Looks like blacks were biting both skirts and divers.
yes it was a great day for christening personal boats with marlin .they make the jucies flow i tell you lol
i normaly troll 2 divers and three skirts just in case there are some of the razor gang around but i just wanted to catch a
marlin what a rush. i just wish i had someone else on board so that it wasn't as hectic and could of got better pictures.

The Doctor
05-12-2014, 06:19 PM
Congrats on your first beakie, top effort to get them both to the boat as well.

Cheers
Dave

FINICKY
07-12-2014, 06:07 AM
Sounds like its a good year for catching your first ever Marlin. I hope I get mine this year.
When trolling skirts, how far back from the boat do you have them? I don't have outriggers so should they be in my whitewater or should I send them back further to the clearer water out the back of the boat?

Bait is better.

MEG-A-BITE
08-12-2014, 06:37 AM
Great effort there on a solo trip, those little black can be a hand full at times.

Jsmfun
08-12-2014, 07:13 AM
[QUOTE=FINICKY;1572131]Sounds like its a good year for catching your first ever Marlin. I hope I get mine this year.
When trolling skirts, how far back from the boat do you have them?
I don't have outriggers so should they be in my whitewater or should I send them back further to the clearer water out the back of the boat?hi finicky im no expert but i had a bird teaser out the back about 8-10m behind the boat. I put my short cnr about 3m behind the teasermy long cnr about 10m behind that. i dont have outriggers i use reelax rod riggers and 6 foot 6 rods as my riggers .
my short rigger was back about 30m and right on the edge of my wash and the long rigger was about 45m back and i was using it as my shot gun.
when i hooked up i drove of the first one as it sets the hook better and i was still trolling forward at about 4 knots pulling in my other rods and teaser when the shotgun went of

hope that helps mate
cheers scott

FINICKY
09-12-2014, 05:32 AM
Awesome, thanks for the info.
Look forward to getting amongst them when I get home for the Christmas break.

Bait is better.