PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Week Of Mackerel

Goldfinch
19-02-2014, 04:23 PM
Had a quiet fishing period over Xmas as the place was full of tourists but have certainly made up for it since. The Saturday before Aussie Day we bagged out on Spanish and Spotties within two hours trolling hard bodies and jigging so we knew good times were ahead. Then the Southerly came for two weeks and kept us at bay. Thurs Feb 13 three of us headed out for a spanish hunt. First stop was quiet at 5.30am so we pushed a bit wider to try some reliable Spanish marks. In a matter of minutes both trolling lures hooked up and two spanish came in the boat. This set the scene for the next 5 hours as we got our bag and continued to troll and jig for spanish and spotties until we were exhausted. I estimate that we landed approx 50 that morning. Average size Spanish being about 8kg with a few up to 12kg in the mix and spotties up to 6kg. It was so good we decided to go again Friday so I rang a tradey mate of mine and said, take a sickie, you're coming out. Friday did not disappoint with double and triple hookups constantly for a good 3 hours then things slowed up a bit. I was just having a debate on board about which lure produces better fish, the X-Rap 30 or the Halco. The debate went nowhere but then 100m of line and an X-Rap went off like a rocket. We called it for a wahoo and soon had a nice 12kg fish in the boat. Debate ended!!! We had some lunch, jigged some more Spanish and spotties until once again we'd had enough and headed home. Another 30+ fish landed that morning. Had the weekend off to party and saw the weather was good so rang a mate and headed out again on Monday 18th. Morning started pretty similar with constant double hookups on the trolling lures, all fish successfully landed. We had our bag within an hour. We played with the jigs for a couple of hours trying to find spotties but just kept catching Spanish.

Got out again today and took the young fella from Davo's Bait n Tackle along and the bite was very quiet. Young fella got his first spanish and dollie though, so he was stoked. We nailed 2 spanish and as a bit of a bonus had a double hookup on the dollies and landed them both. All in all an amazing week. Tried lots of lures and jigs and trolling techniques, filmed some awesome footage and had a great time with guys who love their fishing. You can see in the photos of the sounder where the mackerel are sitting under the boat so thick that the sounder only reads 13m instead of 49m. We pulled at least 8 spanish off this spot in 10-15 minutes. Maybe they like the music on my stereo. The other sounder shot is a school of thick spotties under the boat. A couple of photos of standout fish as well. Cheers, Dave

liltuffy
19-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Great work mate.

ozzyfishaman
19-02-2014, 09:30 PM
Awesome stuff mate
Is this off the Gold Coast or what general area. I am new to Spanish fishing and just keep getting tuna . Hoping to run into a pack like that one day soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smithy
20-02-2014, 04:04 AM
Good work Dave. Dave's reports are from Noosa.