PDA

View Full Version : Would I make it to Mud (and back)?

rexwatto
11-12-2013, 02:46 PM
G'day,

I've been reading the fishing reports on here regarding Mud Island for the past year or so, and I've always had to restrain myself (with great difficulty) from trying to head out to Mud and chase a few snapper.

I've got a 3.7m quintrex with 15hp yammy, and in my mind I don't think I'd have issues heading out there early morning, it's more the trip home at 11-12pm with the wind blowing that has me worried.

On an ideal day (i.e. perfect forecast) I don't think it would be an issue...or am I having myself on?

Can anyone share their knowledge on (a) How long it would take me to get out to Mud from Brisbane River mouth and (b) whether I'm kidding myself thinking it'd be safe for me to venture out on a good day?

Thanks,

Rexwatto

Bull
11-12-2013, 02:59 PM
I have a 3.7 m savage snipe with a 15hp on it and I have been to Mud Island in it. Like you said pick your day and you will be fine. I used to put in at Whyte Island boat ramp and go out through the passage.
Cheers Brett

Zippidy
11-12-2013, 03:17 PM
As Bull said, pick the right day and you'll be fine.

fishychrissy
12-12-2013, 10:39 AM
I've got a 4m with a 30 on it but had to do a reality check a few weeks ago.
Headed out along Bribie in the Passage, water was like glass so decided to try over near the Banks a couple of k's out.
Caught a couple of squid then had a brief hookup on Gar that took off like a train.
Started getting a bit lumpy as I think the tide changed and the wind picked up so the wind against tide factor kicked in, decided to just wind in and make a run for it.
Had a pretty interesting trip back in against the run out. For the first time, made the tinny feel pretty small, and put into perspective just how quickly things could go pear-shaped out there even when conditions seem right.
Didn't take on any water or anything, just had a salt spray facial on the way back...need to get some spray chines!
I check the weather, particularly the wind every time before I go out, but it's now made me wary of the WillyWeather wind forecast as it was completely wrong. Just wanted to warn people if they rely on this tool as recently the nor'easter has been way above the forecast, I mean ridiculously higher!
Cheers

Jsmfun
12-12-2013, 10:48 AM
do not rely on willyweather for the bay ever it seem's to be half of the actual wind.

couple years ago had a 3.8m with a 25 and had a couple of fun jurney's home but did not ever go if the wind said over 10kn on bomb as caught out 2 many time's with ww

fishychrissy
12-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Yeah Mate, have it set on the Spitfire Channel Beacon and it's always blowing substantially more than the forecast speeds.
Would be interesting to know how many other people have been caught out by WillyWeather?
At least we're still here to tell the tale but.
Has made me a lot more cautious tho.
Cheers

Damned67
12-12-2013, 11:52 AM
I fish my 4.2m regularly out at Harry's, and regularly in conditions that see similar sized boats staying on the trailer.
That said, had my wake up call back a few weeks ago when a lovely storm popped up in the bay with a nice sized water spout. That was by far the least fun I've ever had on my boat. Granted, I doubt a larger boat would have stopped my rods from crackling with static electricity.
Oh, and nothing was forecast for that day either.

Cheers

SummerTrance
12-12-2013, 12:34 PM
You'd want to be looking for a forecast of 5-10 knots variable. Over 10 knots and it'll be getting bumpy in boat that size. Pick the right day and you'll be fine.

Also time of day isn't everything. Sometimes you'll get a midday glass out after a windy morning. Depending how fast you boat goes, on a super flat day I guess maybe 15-20 mins from the river mouth.

Jsmfun
12-12-2013, 12:44 PM
sorry forgot to ad imo it would take around 20-30minute's to get over there 10min to get to the eastern side that's a normal trip over in a tinni

Mike Delisser
12-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Yeh just pick the day and it will be sweet. Whyte isl ramp and out through the river is good and prob the closest/quickest. And should something scary appear out of the north, it would give you the option of heading back towards Wynnum and coming back to the ramp via the southern entrance of the boat passage. Never had to do this myself but I suppose it would always be up your sleeve. In your boat I recon it could be best to avoid coming back into the river on an out-going tide in a strong northeaster.

In case you weren't aware too, you need a current set of flares if you venture out of the river into the bay.

fishychrissy
12-12-2013, 10:35 PM
I fish my 4.2m regularly out at Harry's, and regularly in conditions that see similar sized boats staying on the trailer.
That said, had my wake up call back a few weeks ago when a lovely storm popped up in the bay with a nice sized water spout. That was by far the least fun I've ever had on my boat. Granted, I doubt a larger boat would have stopped my rods from crackling with static electricity.
Oh, and nothing was forecast for that day either.

Cheers

I always check the Weatherzone radar on my phone if I think storms are forecast, but last night it only showed light green and about 10 minutes later the biggest horizontal bolts of lightning shot across the Bay from the Airport to Moreton Island, and hit 2 channel markers in the same instance.
It was lines in and WOT all the way back to Spinnaker Ramp after that!
Was in a similar situation to yours Mate in the Pittwater fishing from me mate's trailer sailer. Storm suddenly appeared rolling down the hills from the National Park, we had to just sit it out but bloody scary, sure gives you a wake up call. All the rigging and rail wires were buzzing from the static in the air, least favourite fishing session ever. Remember at the time I thought it would be my last.
Cheers

Horse
13-12-2013, 07:07 AM
That size boat will be fine in anything under 10-15knts. I would e wary of heading back in if you have a run out tide and a northerly wind as it stands up pretty badly. As a few of the others have said there is a calm water track through the southern boat passage

gr hilly
13-12-2013, 08:54 AM
If you are not sure then don,t do it even if you get there you,ll be thinking the whole time when to go home fish at a spot you,ll enjoy lets face it we are so lucky with so many safe options tight lines Hilly.

Richo1
13-12-2013, 09:26 AM
Team up with another boat is always a good option, and don't overload your boat either, take the bare essentials to fish with.

It is amazing how much stuff we fill our boats with these days- esky's, a massive tackle box per person, 8 rods landing nets etc etc.
Dad used to take us fishing on the Bay as kids in a 10 foot tinny with a 3 Hp motor on the back! Incredible the distances we would cover but all we had was a bag of sangas, a bottle of water, 1 rod each, a jar of hooks/sinkers and a bucket of yabbies.

As said by others above wind against tide makes things quite nasty. if you get caught out by the weather seek shelter around the island and wait for the wind to ease - sometimes a couple of hours at Mud can mean the difference between 5 kts and 25 especially if a Northerly kicks in.
In a lot of cases where boats get into trouble with the weather, is people trying to meet deadlines back home, instead of seeking shelter they attempt to get home to make an appointment.
Take a can of bug spray in case you get caught out overnight, coz the mozzies will eat you alive!

rexwatto
13-12-2013, 09:09 PM
Awesome - thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate the knowledge/opinions.

Will just pick my day and will give it a crack!

thanks again

novice23
13-12-2013, 10:58 PM
The bay can turn nasty quickly. I have been caught out fishing the sheltered side of the island unaware how bad it was out in the open. Learn the beacons heading back the inside of st Helena and green and the river mouth so you have a plan b for getting home.

Richo1
14-12-2013, 08:56 AM
Worst I've experienced in the Tinny was between Peel Is and Cleveland point.

Out going tide and a with a 15 knot NW blowing. Had my 2 little ones in the boat with me who were curled up around my feet on the floor. Boat was new and not set up well - too much weight aft. Got home wet but unscathed however it took a lot of lollipops and coaching to get them in the tinny again.

In hind sight should have stayed on the beach at peel until the tide changed at least.98719k

Damned67
16-12-2013, 03:24 PM
I always check the Weatherzone radar on my phone if I think storms are forecast, but last night it only showed light green and about 10 minutes later the biggest horizontal bolts of lightning shot across the Bay from the Airport to Moreton Island, and hit 2 channel markers in the same instance.
It was lines in and WOT all the way back to Spinnaker Ramp after that!
Was in a similar situation to yours Mate in the Pittwater fishing from me mate's trailer sailer. Storm suddenly appeared rolling down the hills from the National Park, we had to just sit it out but bloody scary, sure gives you a wake up call. All the rigging and rail wires were buzzing from the static in the air, least favourite fishing session ever. Remember at the time I thought it would be my last.
Cheers

Yeah, I finally got up the courage to get back out there on Friday. And am now checking the radar etc religiously! Then my son calls me at about 2.30pm to say there's a severe storm warning. Checked my phone and there it is. I hadn't checked the radar for a couple of hours. Despite the storm being a fizzer, you better believe I left Harry's damn smart!

I was out at Harry's again yesterday morning, and had my second wake up call. Anytime I'm on the boat at night, or in a bit of wind, I wear an auto-inflatable PFD. I took it off yesterday morning a little after sunrise and had it sitting on the casting deck. I noticed that the sensor unit was showing major fault! Had a close inspection, and found that the gas bottle was loose, and activator tripped. I tightened it up, and it rapidly inflated the jacket. Best I can tell/gather is the storm I got smashed by was enough to trigger the auto firing pin mechanism, but the gas bottle was loose and thus not punctured. The jacket wouldn't have done my for me if I went over the side!
So, yeah, check your auto-inflatable jackets before each trip!

Cheers

Damned67
16-12-2013, 03:31 PM
Speaking of Mud, I just remembered a funny/worrying incident.
I was fishing with my son on the reef off the north east of Green. We watch this tiny boat (turned out it was a 3.7m) with a 15hp motor and two VERY large gentlemen of Islander appearance (Only mention Islander to give an indication of size), and very little freeboard approach us very slowly from the south of Green. The breeze had made it a little sloppy, so their boat trip was even longer. Anyway, they eventually pull alongside us, and with huge grins, ask us did we know where Mud Island was???
I point out Green, St Helena, and Mud. We then watch in disbelief, for the next hour, as they very slowly disappear out of sight towards Mud!

DNO 346
16-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Mate if the wind gets up start the donk and head home. I have a 4.1 with a 25hp and had some hairy/wet rides coming back into the river.

Keep an eye on the reports and pick your days. Better be safe than sorry.

TheRealAndy
16-12-2013, 09:52 PM
15hp and 3.7m is fine. Watch the weather and if you get stuck when the wind gets up then take it slow. Small boats are fine in the bay, just have a plan if things go bad, and dont venture to far out. You can always take a direct line to the shore and wait it out.If things look bad, pull up on mud island and call someone, dont head home if you are unsure.

Just remember, the wind funnels through between mud and st helena, and combined with the tide it can get really nasty. For some reason, the southern end is always worst, between amity banks and mud - especially in a south easter. If shit goes bad, hug the island and sneak back on the brisbane river side.

ben kent
30-12-2013, 11:00 PM
I have a 3.8m savage snipe with a 25 on the back, we have a had a few hair raising moments heading back from mud to the mouth, typical story like glass heading out then sure enough a wind change and picks up to 20knots sure makes for a slow and bumpy ride home (willy said 5-10kn)is there a better site then willy? it takes me about 30 mins from the pinkenba boat ramp

ben kent
30-12-2013, 11:07 PM
I have a 3.8m savage snipe with a 25 on the back, we have a had a few hair raising moments heading back from mud to the mouth, typical story like glass heading out then sure enough a wind change and picks up to 20knots sure makes for a slow and bumpy ride home (willy said 5-10kn)is there a better site then willy? it takes me about 30 mins from the pinkenba boat ramp

brett777
08-01-2014, 07:46 PM
Winter only. That area will be very unforgiving if it blows up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)