PDA

View Full Version : PWC Passenger capacity

gford001
24-11-2013, 06:23 PM
Hey,
Just a quick one.
A mate of mine asked about seating capacity of JetSkis. Just wondering if it is the same deal as boats. Do 2 Kids= 1 Adult (as in a boat) or if the Jetski is designated a 2 seater it doesn't matter if it is an adult and a 6 year old or 2 adults, only 2 people allowed.....
And another quick one, is there a passenger age limit?
He asked me because I have a boat license (just didn't bother getting a PWC license to go with it) so not sure if it is the same deal. Thought I would ask the gurus on here :)
Cheers
Glen

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, had quite a few drinks......

Triple
24-11-2013, 07:18 PM
Im interested in the correct legislation answer for this too.. I dont believe there is an age limit as long as they have the appropriate pfd and i doubt anyone would really want to take their under 12month old on a ski anyway.. How many? Kids between 1yr an 12yrs an classed as 1/2 person in all the wording in the info online as a BOAT carrying capacity,I cant find anything regarding pwc's -
Going off the info on the label itself it is the same as boats.
Ie: applies to dinghies, open runabouts, motor boats, half cabins and jet skis.
Warning .3 children up to one year should not be counted for loading purposes. Children between one year and twelve years can be counted as 1/2 of an adult.

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Safety/Capacity-labels.aspx

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/~/media/msqinternet/msqfiles/home/safety/safety%20equipment%20recreational%20ships/rec_safety_equipment.pdf

hungry6
25-11-2013, 11:41 AM
It goes by head count so 2 child = 2 person.
However if you are towing skiers or tube, they are also included in the combined head count.

cormorant
25-11-2013, 01:03 PM
However if you are towing skiers or tube, they are also included in the combined head count.

Or 1 of our tassie cousins.

Triple
25-11-2013, 01:23 PM

QLD Regulations state you need a seat for operator and an observer, says nothing about requiring seats for the amount being towed.

Some states have recently change the rules to allow this, ie: nsw - No more than three (3) people can be towed at once. (I'm yet to see a 5 seater pwc) but then you still have the masters "general safety obligation" to contend with.

aussiebasser
25-11-2013, 02:01 PM
The laws have changed. When towing a person behind a PWC there must be an observer on the vessel and the operator of the vessel must ensure the safety of all persons. If towing with a two seater the answer to give if questioned how you are going to do this is to say that if the rider being towed is injured, you will have the observer jump in the water and float around while you ferry the injured person to shore. You will then return for the uninjured party, therefore not overloading the ski. This will show that you has considered the consequences of towing and have a plan if anything happens.
PWCs are rated by seats, everybody, man, woman or child, has one bum which fills one seat.

Triple
25-11-2013, 06:23 PM
Where are you blokes getting this info regarding QLD's laws, From a water police officers interpretation? Or in the legislation somewhere?
Everything i have seen in the regs and in the info fact sheets and training guide state nothing of the sort. The tow tube itself has a person rating that must not be exceeded ie: 2 person tube = only 2 people allowed on it. The regs state you must have an operator and a legal aged observer and nothing regarding any requirements of be able to carry the extra towed people and nothing stating that pwc's carrying capacity regarding 1/2 person under 12 is any different from a boat.

This really makes me want yamaha to bring back the 4 seater suv1200 with the new fxho 4 banger in it..

hungry6
25-11-2013, 07:26 PM
Water police. They run the same scenario as aussibasser stated. everyone has to have a seat in the event of an injury or failure of the towed equipement.

aussiebasser
25-11-2013, 07:49 PM
This is what I was taught when I sat the test for my PWC license. It comes down to a duty of care by the skipper.