PDA

View Full Version : Fraser surf trip - where to base yourself ?

liltuffy
22-06-2013, 08:39 AM
So this year due to the sustained beach erosion at Moreton Is, Ray and I are heading further afield to Fraser to tackle the surf species once again. We know it's too early for the tailor run which suits us just fine as we like to catch dart, whiting, flathead etc with some tailor still mixed in for some variety.

My only query at this stage is where to base ourselves, we are fully self sufficient for the week with fuel and water etc but still not sure which area to camp at. Now I know the bottom end of Moreton fishes consistently better in the surf than the rest of the island but what about Fraser ?

Is the bottom end near Eurong better, the Maheno area, Dundaburra, Waddy point?. Don't mind travelling a bit either, charges the fridge battery up :)

Interested in people's thoughts and experiences.

Thanks, Craig.

banksmister
22-06-2013, 09:33 AM
I prefer Ocean Lake area as it gives more options if the wind gets up.
Under 1 hrs drive will get you to the cape, wathumba, Indian head, platypus bay, south waddy.

Just_chips
22-06-2013, 12:03 PM
I would also vote for the top end of the island north of Waddy. But in saying that the section between book point and Eurong has some awesome gutters that could hold anything from Jew to whiting. Definitely worth checking out if you don't mind setting up twice. The other side of the coin is that the bottom half of the island is closer to the creeks, lakes & forrests if you want to play tourist for a day or two.

Kev

death_ship
22-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Is the beach at moreton impassable?

liltuffy
22-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Is the beach at moreton impassable?

1.5 km south of middle road is cut an hour either side of low tide, so Brett we decided to go Fraser instead.

mhilton
22-06-2013, 10:52 PM
waddy point is where we camped last year, not even 500m away from the shoreline and can catch tailor, flatty, dart and whiting. try further north if you want to target jewfish, just watch out for those sharks, they can be a pest!

Michael.

death_ship
22-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Oh righto. I'm heading over in August. Last time at Fraser we got a few tailor and jew around Indian head.

Scalem
22-06-2013, 11:18 PM
Its been a few years but Cathedral beach used to have a brilliant campsite off the beach. Go past the fuel and convenience shop into a grassy campsite behind the tree line that shelters from the beach wind. Hot showers and cabins if you want to hire. Tenting and a designated area for camper trailer too. Paradise spot to come back to after a cold soak chasing Taylor in the surf.

Scalem

Slider
23-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Having spent literally years on the isand privately fishing and also guiding, the key is to fish as far away from the nets as possible. Netting is carried out from North Ngkala and around the cape and from Tooloora Ck south to Hook. So between Indian Head and Eurong provides the best opportunities for fish and good access to lakes and rainforests if the weather is foul. I'd be looking around the Poyungan/Happy Valley region.

mik01
04-07-2013, 07:18 AM
mate - I just got back from there last week camping at Waddy. Great spot, BUT - severe erosion north of Happy Valley means if you want to play tourist for the day and head south, you will need to plan your day according to tides - some sections are barely passable 2.5hrs either side of low.
if its just with mates and you are flexible to up and leave if you have delays on any trip (ie bogged/others bogged slows you down), or if you are mostly going to fish the one area, then head north.
Poyungan or Waddy are good spots - away from the backpackers and tourist buses also. avoid Maheno area - its a highway and you will not fish in peace near it.
also depends on where you get the barge from - its a long drive from hook pt or the other side of the island - i'm talking 2+ hrs.
i'm back there in October but with my family this time - we are staying at Eurong, but only cos I have little kids and want to be closer to everything else on the island.
happy to answer any further questions - by the way, Eli creek was barely recognisable - totally washed out! it was sad to see the Fraser I grew up with has taken a smashing, not to mention all the mongrel rubbish that lines the beach. please, everyone, take your rubbish with you or put it securely in one of the waste station bins.
also, dingoes are about a lot - you may want to look at a fenced camping area unless you want to pack up all rubbish and food etc every night - campsite near us was totally trashed by dingoes in the night as they left rubbish and food out. Mik

liltuffy
04-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Thanks Mik, I was thinking of camping around the Dundaburra area but after just getting off the phone to the bureau the trip is now in jeopardy. Inshore by late Monday and in to Tuesday will 15-20 SE, easing back a bit Wednesday late to 15 SE for Thursday and Friday with another increase next Saturday.

This year is just a mate and I and we mostly like to fish and just bum around on the beach, I've got a lifted Hilux so generally don't have too many issues with getting bogged anywhere but it's pretty hard fishing in the surf in anything above 15.
I've been doing Fraser since 1985 and so the tourist thing isn't a great drawcard, we are generally happy to fish an area each day.

We'll be coming from Hook point so thanks for the heads up on travel times. I've heard the fishing has been pretty good so we may have to head past Waddy to escape the wind in the face issue.

Knowing what you know and with the predicted forecast would you go and where would you camp - or stay at work and save the holidays for a school holidays trip with the kids.

Cheers

Craig

mik01
04-07-2013, 07:58 PM
i would still go - Fraser with wind is still miles better than working!
if its just you and a mate, then head north the other side of Indian head (waddy). 2 campsites at waddy - 'beachfront' and 'top'. either are ok - beachfront is about 50m off the actual beach, 'top' is another 50m up behind the trees.
both areas have fire rings in most campsites - hot showers and toilets are in the top area - but its like a 2 minute walk up to them if you are staying on the beachfront. the top area is definitely more sheltered, is fenced from dingoes and is more a family area - that said, there were only about 3 other campers there last week. the beachfront area was nearly full though.
probably the only drawback was fishing - lots of blokes out there, not quite shoulder to shoulder, but a bit too close for my liking. a pretty good gutter though - I didn't get to fish much so didn't grab a feed unfortunately.
chatting to the lovely folks at Happy Valley, they reported some decent fishing also from visitors - also mentioned people getting caught on the tides and having to stay the night at HV instead of making it to camp north - again, a warning - there isn't much beach in some areas as its all washed away - think 2m+ walls of sand on your left and incoming waves on your right at mid tide - but you'll be right.

having said all of that, I have tried to fish Fraser when windy and it can be a total waste of time - you might be ok though with the SE, just on the other side of indian head or thereabouts. dundaburra is an ok location - haven't stayed there, so cant comment on facilities.

good news is the bypass tracks around hook pt and some of the rocks are in top condition (if you cant get around Hook by the beach) and piece of cake with all the rain we have had - unless you are a backpacker - those Swedish chicks seemed to get bogged easily, but me and my mate didn't mind helping out!
if you go, I hope the wind eases up for you - enjoy