PDA

View Full Version : Some help from Rod/Reel Gurus for a good all round setup!

mustang5
16-05-2013, 02:40 PM
Hello,

Now Im a fan of my TLD25/ugly stick combo as I only really troll and bottom bounce for this and that...

Ive caught 1m Barra from land on light gear ($50 Kmart specials) so I have never really had to go into the more expensive quality gear as have never really had the need.

HOWEVER, I want to venture into some different styles of fishing...

We are about 5 weeks or so out from our Swains Trailer Boat Trip and I need a good all round spin combo to which I can easily change from bottom bashing some Reefies to popping for some GT's..

Here is where I am at... Budget is probably around the $700-$1000 overall. And no, I wouldnt mind buying second hand either if anyone knows of suitable combos :)

Reels:
- I was thinking a Stella 10000/20000 however I would need some convincing on the price tag VS what I get in the end. $800-$1000
- Saragosa 18000.. $300
- Gladiator Titan 6500 $300... 30KG of DRAG?? Not as good gearing though.
- Okuma Salina 3 High Speed. Great Gearing and 24kg of Drag.
- The old trusty Penn Spinfisher 9500... $200

So far its a toss up between the Okuma & the Saragosa.. Whats your thoughts chiefs? Swaying to the Okuma for the better gearing and better drag capacity... HOW DO THE INTERNALS COMPARE??

Rods:
- T Curve 400?? People rate the 200 but a little light.
- WILSON LIVE FIBRE RLFSSTXVS350G DEEP JIG VENOM SPIN ROD
- Daiwa Demon Blood... I saw one of these snap quite easily one day on a fish which a $10 Kmart kids special could have ripped the head off.. However, I have read good things so what weight class would suite?

Im leaning towards the Venom. My main requirement is something that can do a bit of everything!!! I would tend to fish bottom bouncing/jigging with big weights 80% of the time, with 10% trolling and 10% popping. (Maybe more popping at the Swains).

The main question I suppose is,

Okuma Vs Saragosa?? (Really a question of which internals will last the test of time?)
Wilson Venom Vs T Curve? (Everyone Rates the Venoms.. Is the 350g a good all rounder?? Most rate the T Curve 200, but wouldnt spit on the 400..).

One last thing I should mention.... I am ROUGH on the gear.... I know I shouldnt be etc.... and I know the importance of protecting investments etc. etc. However, I would like to factor this into the equation as I know I will drop the rods in the boat, I know it will be kicked, scratched and the tip will hit all sorts of ungodly places... So, which of the options above would you also classify as STURDY and TOLERABLE to a bit of Mis Treatment??

Thanks Fellas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Daintreeboy
16-05-2013, 03:16 PM
This will depend on the line size. If you are going to run 50lb in the options listed I would go the Gosa with the Tcurve 200. I would however look at the Gosa 10K as there is plenty of line capacity on the 10 with 50lb and you'll have a much better balanced and lighter combo. The 6,8 and 10 K are all around 590 grams and the 14 and 18000 are over 800 grams.
I've popped with both the T curve 200 and 400. You'll be surprised how well the T curve 200 casts and it works the poppers and stick baits really well. A few of us have had our fair share of success with this and you do lose a bit of distance compared to a true blooded popping rod but since you will not be doing much of that compared to the bottom stuff this rod will be fine.

The T curves are going for around $230 from a well known store atm. The Venom 350 is better than the T curve 400 for sure when comparing those two. You will pay for the extra though. In terms of popping with either of those rods well, you'll struggle. I did a 1 hour session with my 400 and was stuffed. The two GTs I caught did have something to do with it but you really could feel the difference between it and the 200.

You could actually get two rods with your budget and have the Gosa for both if you went the T curve 200 route for one.

cobiaman
16-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Ive been trying to figure out the same thing for this trip and at the moment i am leaning towards the tcurve 200 matched with a saltist.

Its interesting to know that you can throw some poppers with the tcurve, certainly will help my decision!

Horse
16-05-2013, 03:25 PM
The Saragosa is a great performer for that sort of work but I would probably save a few bucks and try the Okuma Salina 3 in the 16000 size. I would however go for the 4.8:1 ratio for the work you are looking at. Both reels will do the job
Rods are a different though and while the jig rods are suited to bottom bouncing and jigging they are not so good when spinning or popping. You can certainly get away with a 6' rod but I prefer around the 7' mark. There are a few around that length in the Terez range that would make good all-rounders.
300m o0f 80lb braid and a bucket of poppers and you will be all set

mustang5
16-05-2013, 03:29 PM
The guys from ######## suggested the terez. A mate of mine also rates them..

I suppose I'm looking for a bottom bouncing jig rod which I could get away with popping with.

Might price up two combos though... Trouble is lurking haha

mustang5
16-05-2013, 03:30 PM
Not sure why that's bleeped out so let's just say the tackle store :)

Horse
16-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Ive been trying to figure out the same thing for this trip and at the moment i am leaning towards the tcurve 200 matched with a saltist.

Its interesting to know that you can throw some poppers with the tcurve, certainly will help my decision!

The Saltist is pretty highly geared like the HS Salina. great for spinning but maybe not so good for slugging it out with Coral Sea bruisers. My tcurve 200 is in OH form but its got a lot of hurt wrapped into a very lightweight rod. I think something along the size of a Gosa 10000 would be more than enough for it

cobiaman
16-05-2013, 03:45 PM
The Saltist is pretty highly geared like the HS Salina. great for spinning but maybe not so good for slugging it out with Coral Sea bruisers. My tcurve 200 is in OH form but its got a lot of hurt wrapped into a very lightweight rod. I think something along the size of a Gosa 10000 would be more than enough for it

Yeah i know, its just that i already have the saltist which isnt being used

Horse
16-05-2013, 03:49 PM
Yeah i know, its just that i already have the saltist which isnt being used

That makes sense. I'm thinking of getting a Salina 3 10000 to try on that revolution you got me. I don't know if I trust it though

cobiaman
16-05-2013, 03:51 PM
That makes sense. I'm thinking of getting a Salina 3 10000 to try on that revolution you got me. I don't know if I trust it though

Funny you say that, mine caught a kingy the other day and didnt break...

Horse
16-05-2013, 04:19 PM
Funny you say that, mine caught a kingy the other day and didnt break...

I think they are pretty much the same blank as the Deep jig 200. Just not sure of the other components. Was that running the Saltist on it?

cobiaman
16-05-2013, 04:22 PM
I think they are pretty much the same blank as the Deep jig 200. Just not sure of the other components. Was that running the Saltist on it?

Yep, at least i gave you and bull the dodgy ones and kept the good one for me

Daintreeboy
16-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Horse the guides on the revolutions are PAC bay. A mate had his tip fold away on its second trip. Nice blanks but they are saving costs with the cheaper components.

mustang5
16-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Had a look at BCF after work and I specifically compared the t curve 200, 400 and the terez. I must say I was most impressed with the terez at the same price. Understand that's just on face value but was good to compare.

Wanted to team them up with the gosa but didn't have a 10000 in stock. 14000 probably a little too big?? Thoughts?

FisHard
16-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Love the DJ 200 for seriously stretching 50lb braid on bottom dwellers. Had a DJ 400, but didn't love it. The Venom is a sweet rod for heavy bottom fishing. I've used it in the overhead version with a Torsa. The Saragosa is a good reel and at least you've got a decent warranty from Shimano. Sea fever Sport fishing Whitsundays has used them for the last few years for a combination of popping and bottom bashing. Of course, they have their issues and don't last forever, but hey, it's $300.
Would you consider having 2 rods for the one reel and swapping depending on the situation? You could pickup a Shimano GT Special and a Venom to go with a Saragosa.
If you do move up to a Stella, go the 20 000 rather than the 18000. The 20k is the slower retrieve that is more powerful and versatile (beautiful reel!!!)

Daintreeboy
16-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Yes you could go the Terez. Depending on line size my picks are the 6 foot 9 length. Either the 30-50lb or the 40 to 80lb. TZS69MHPW or TZS69HPW.
I would wait to get the 10K Gosa or just get one elsewhere like flea bay. Probably cheaper too.

By the way there is a Saragosa SW coming out!!

mustang5
16-05-2013, 10:37 PM
Might go the gosa 10k with the 80lb Terez I think. Will get that for $580 combo.

What lb line would be ideal??

mustang5
16-05-2013, 10:42 PM
And yep I like the 2 rod idea, will do some convincing with the missus

glassout
16-05-2013, 11:31 PM
Might go the gosa 10k with the 80lb Terez I think. Will get that for $580 combo.

What lb line would be ideal??

50lb should do the job that's what I have on my saragosa 10 000

Daintreeboy
16-05-2013, 11:41 PM
If you are going to do the two rod thing It's worth looking at the longer Terez in the same line class. You might find the extra length will come in handy and since it will become a specific casting rod it's probably more suited. Then you could go down in length for the other for the same reasons. The one I said above originally is the all rounder and will suit both applications "ok" and get the job done. It's a tough call which way you go but if you do decide on the two rod option I would go for more specific rods suited to their task instead of that 6 foot 9 one.

For the line, 65lb braid.

mustang5
16-05-2013, 11:44 PM
Ok for the two rod option..

Terez in longer than 6"9 for the 40-80lb class. This would be for the popping

What about the bottom bashing jigging.. Venom takes the cake? What Pe rating do I look for? From what I have read, the 350 is the go? Cheapest I found is $460.

I know it seems like a spending spree but its a bloody long way to the swains by trailer boat so I want to make the most of it haha

Daintreeboy
16-05-2013, 11:54 PM
Yeah you cant go wrong with one of them. My brother just bought a Venom 350 today for $425 to match up to a Penn Torque 5 with 65lb. It's going to be one sweet rig. I reckon the 250 would have actually done the job but at least they can really put that little bit of extra hurt on with the 350 in the rough country.
If you can't convince the missus on the Venom 350 the FinNor Offshore 80lb is a very good option $200 cheaper. They are softer than the t curve 400 and well priced. It will at least bring you back under your original budget!!

glassout
17-05-2013, 12:40 AM
how much braid are you wanting to run because the saragosa 10 000 can just hold 300m of 50lb powerpro braid