PDA

View Full Version : Barwons Today

cuzzamundi
23-03-2013, 08:23 PM
Punched wide to the Barwons early this morning. Must say it was a decent swell, seemed more like 1.5-2m to me. BOM predicted less than 1.5m. 1.5hr journey.

Pulled up to a mark, start the drift, and what do you know, I forgot the correct tackle box. Packed the wrong one, which had very old whiting and bream gear in it.

Sat for an hour and watched the odd bust up. Plenty of cussing.

About ten minutes into homeward journey, motor shudders again. Couldn't get her up over 8kts. Long, 3 hour ride home. Fourth time this has happened, but that's another whining yarn.

A day I'd rather forget. Still, a day on the water is a good day.

Water looked really good from about 35km mark. Very green, still, otherwise. Bit of current, but seems to be slowing slightly.

Hope some others had a bit more success (and common sense).

Cuzza

reel scream
23-03-2013, 10:19 PM
Gee you hold your tongue well cuzza. I would be fn unhappy given how long we have had to wait for it to settle down. Good luck with the motor.
Cheers
Scott

cuzzamundi
23-03-2013, 11:52 PM
Don't worry, Scott - there was plenty of cussing, mate. Plenty!

Cuzza

Spaniard_King
24-03-2013, 07:27 AM
What engine is it Cuzza and what was done to fix it last time??

aerordauto
24-03-2013, 07:42 AM
hello cuzza what boat where u in.
mark

cuzzamundi
24-03-2013, 01:20 PM
G'day Garry - she's a 150 Johnno 95 model. Last time they took the redundant transducers off the back and lowered the motor to make sure there was no issues with aerated water. We took her for a spin before Christmas, and all was good. Mechanic assumed that was the problem, and all was fixed. Yesterday, we got out to the banks without a drama. Sat for an hour, then came in. Got the revs up more due to following sea, and within ten minutes, she started shuddering violently, and wouldn't go above 8-10 kts. No temp alarm this time. I also noticed when we were back at port that when I hit reverse hard to park at the pontoon, the whole leg tilted itself up rapidly, then back down again, making a thud. It could be a worn pin or something to do with the hydraulics. Not sure. Not sure also if that's what's causing it. Either way it's a pain in the arse, mate, because other than that the motor is going really well. If you're around Brissy let me know as I'll give you some business for sure mate!

G'day Mark - Aussie Whaler, mate. Were you out there? There were two other boats when we were there - one biggger cat, and I couldn't wuite make out the other. I was too busy trying tio find the sweet spot on my chin for forgetting the reefie tackle!

Cuzza

Spaniard_King
24-03-2013, 07:40 PM
G'day Garry - she's a 150 Johnno 95 model. Last time they took the redundant transducers off the back and lowered the motor to make sure there was no issues with aerated water. We took her for a spin before Christmas, and all was good. Mechanic assumed that was the problem, and all was fixed. Yesterday, we got out to the banks without a drama. Sat for an hour, then came in. Got the revs up more due to following sea, and within ten minutes, she started shuddering violently, and wouldn't go above 8-10 kts. No temp alarm this time. I also noticed when we were back at port that when I hit reverse hard to park at the pontoon, the whole leg tilted itself up rapidly, then back down again, making a thud. It could be a worn pin or something to do with the hydraulics. Not sure. Not sure also if that's what's causing it. Either way it's a pain in the arse, mate, because other than that the motor is going really well. If you're around Brissy let me know as I'll give you some business for sure mate!

G'day Mark - Aussie Whaler, mate. Were you out there? There were two other boats when we were there - one biggger cat, and I couldn't wuite make out the other. I was too busy trying tio find the sweet spot on my chin for forgetting the reefie tackle!

Cuzza

The first one isn't an easy one to diagnose, certainly sounds like it is in slow.. oil or over heat. Did the engine run fine at that speed?

The engine lifting like you describe is usually associated with low oil in the trim unit

Cheers

cuzzamundi
24-03-2013, 09:31 PM
Cheers, Garry. Any way a layman can check oil level in the trim unit? The engine ran ok at slow, but still shuddered. So, I guess it didn't run properly, but it did get us back. Anytime I triued to increase the throttle it'd vibrate harder, but not go any faster. It's weird because she didn't play up at all in the nearly two hour journey out there, but as soon as we started back in after an hour at rest, shit happened. I will say, though, that on the way back in (before she slowed), we got her above 25kts, which is when it'd do it in the past. This time, though, there was no temp alarm. Just the shuddering and low speed capability. Really has us baffled.

Cuzza

Funchy
25-03-2013, 01:43 AM
Sounds like it was never gonna be your day Cuzza, hope you sort the motor issues and the next day out compensates for the crap day

netmaker
25-03-2013, 08:45 AM
bummer outing for sure. reckon you have found as good as any a reason to keep a "basics" tackle box stowed on board tho. and with those motor probs i think a basic troll kit could be a good addition too! never know what you could have hooked on the way home from out there. good luck with the solution.

david_bl
28-03-2013, 07:56 AM
I had a similar problem with my yammy 115 where one side was shutting down. Turned out to be the ignition unit CDI. Took quite a while to confirm the cause and expensive to buy the part but once you've ruled out everything else it's the only thing left. Ended up getting the part from the states as it was easy to install. Good luck, Dave

cuzzamundi
28-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Cheers, Dave. Yeah, I'm just about stuffed thinking of causes etc. Got her booked in next week. Does the ignition CDI hamper staring and idling, 'cos she's doing both of these really well. It's just when she gets above the 4000rpm for a few minutes she goes back into slow mode. Cheers, mate.

Cuzza

david_bl
11-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Sorry Cuzza, I haven't been back to Ausfish recently, got a new bub so not much time for fishing at the moment! My experience was that it would usually start and idle fine and it wasn't until I was half way to the fishing site that it would start to play up (even if I reduced back to idle) and then it might come good again for a while. May have been heat related. I tried to get the boat service shop to fix it but they couldn't re-create the problem. Whilst it was playing up and idling I pulled off the spark plugs one at a time and identified that one side of the engine was not sparking. I'm not sure whether pulling off spark leads is a good thing to do with a motor but it didn't appear to do any damage. Anyway I ruled out false overheating and low oil sensing as there was no alarm, ruled out fuel troubles since one carb did the top two and one did the bottom two so there was no common cylinders. I also ruled out the ignition coils as there is a separate one for each cylinder. I pulled the flywheel off and couldn't find any problem with the coils so that just left the CDI.

cuzzamundi
12-04-2013, 02:32 AM
Thanks, Dave. Funny how things work, as I just found out from my mate that the new mechanic has finally found the problem. Will find out tomorrow exactly what it was. Gonna cost a Shi%tonne in labour, but at least she'll be right (hopefully) now. Will let you know, mate. Thanks again.

Cuzza