PDA

View Full Version : Bimini Twist, Trout and a new toy!!!

four_button_arnie
01-03-2013, 03:31 PM
Hey fellow Ausfishers! Thought Id better put up a wee trip report from last week end Sat 23rd Feb. Well this trip had been a long time coming and Ive had quite a bit of tinkering to do on the Yalta, to start with a new plumbed live bait system on the rear R step, Im very keen to drop some slimies down to our big fishy friends!

Then I had to replace my cranking battery…..more cash…..so with my mind on electrics I thought it was time for a full rewire of the Yalta! Mmmm I found quite a bit of normal copper wire!!!! Although Im told this unfortunately is common across most of our Aussie built boats, well to hell with that! All brand new tinned wire for the lot of it. So off I went to fetch some terminals, only to be disappointed in finding automotive crimps, yuk.

So to the ausfish search button I head once more to my delight I discover peterbo3’s and wifes company Superior Terminals, well I cant rave enough about them! Bloody fantastic product, I cant believe every manufacture out there are not utilising such a high quality product, easy to install and able to provide a waterproof secure connection. Peter could not have been more helpful whilst doing the rewire, again Pete I thank you, great product with second to none customer service! I have been recommending Pete’s products to anyone who will listen. The rewire included all wiring, a Blue Seas ACR (automatic charging relay) and a Blue Seas 12 outlet Fuse + Buss bar unit, smicky duck:smug:

So, bait tank, wiring done, now to my new toy!!! Dam I love new fishing gear :2thumbsup: I recently took delivery of a beautiful piece of USA engineering, cut from a solid piece of billet aluminium, enter the Avet Sx, I ordered mine in blue (you can choose from a wide variety of custom colours…BLING!) Such a tiny little reel, it seems more like a barra reel to me. But boy is it tough, and fun to fish with, with its light weight fishing all day was no drama, much for enjoyable that fishing with the Saltiga 30T and T curve 400. I matched it up with a Tcurve 200, mind you still a strudy rod in any ones books, but very comfortable to fish with, along with a shed load of grunt when you need it!

Now the last part of the equation. The fishing. Onboard Bimini Twist was myself (Josh), Troy, Rod and Jack. We met at my place at 0300hrs and set off, we intended to hit Douglas, none of us had ever fished the area. Unfortunately we where met with some nasty Northerly swell and wind, which made for quite an unpleaseant trip I must say. The decision was made to bail and head up behind Northwest and along the way do some prospecting. Well that certainly paid off, not in terms of fish in the esky but the amount of ground we found and marked was staggering! The poor old HDS10 was getting loaded with new marks left, right and centre. I believe these areas will hold good fish, given the right conditions, so they where committed to memory.

Very few fish hit the deck unfortunately, we did however find a spot that has a 10m drop off surrounded by what appears to be fern ground……very interesting…..First drop, I put on a big PE tackle dual hook red rig with a fresh mullet slab we collected from Port Alma the week end before. As soon as we hit the drop off, wham bam thankyou mam! A beautiful 65cm trout hit the deck at last! This procedure was repeated again, to the exact same result, another lovely 64cm trout was firmly in the esky. Unfortunately though the commotion attracted our good friends in Grey suits, and as a result the bite pulled up VERY quickly.

65cm Trout

64cm Trout

So once more we travelled around marking spots to hit next trip. All in all not a bad way to spend a Saturday with ya mates. I would like to call this trip a prospecting trip, because we found a lot of new ground…..but more to the point, didn’t land many fish!

Cheers
Josh

jtpython
01-03-2013, 03:36 PM
Awesome Josh guessed the weather would have been a bit sloppy on that weekend but i was working anyways. Top Effort
JT

XtremeBoony
01-03-2013, 05:48 PM
Couple of nice trout there josh well done... Always great finding new ground for future trips ;D

Cheers from boony

Muddy Toes
01-03-2013, 05:55 PM
I hate you just a little bit.........

cobiaman
01-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Couple of cracker trout josh, well done!

thelump
03-03-2013, 09:50 AM
Well done josh. That bait tank looks great. What a great idea!!! Good trout too.

Secret Spot
03-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Nice catch there mate,I am doing my first ever trip to your region in May going to try my luck in the Tannum Hookup comp. Could you tell me what is the main catch of fish that time of the year and ifIi can reach any good ground in a 5.5 met boat with a 115 Yamaha on the back as I dont want take any silly risks venturing beyond the capabilities of myself or the boat.
Cheers

vertico
10-03-2013, 10:59 PM
top stuff mate thanks for the pics, well done!

odes20
11-03-2013, 07:25 AM
Just on the Avet mate, I have used several of these for about 5 years now and brought in heaps for mates online, and I can say from experience that they are brilliant but for one flaw.

They are vunerable to getting their bearings wet, as I have spent a lot of time replacing bearing in them and servicing them. It depends on the way they are handled as I have only ever replaced a bearing in one of mine, but other blokes get them in trouble all the time. My view is that they seem a bit more vunerable for some reason that other brands. Keep it as dry as possible.

Cheers

four_button_arnie
11-03-2013, 11:00 AM
Cheers for the heads up Odes, yer Ive heard that from some OS forums before, Im pretty anal about keeping my gear running well, I try to keep reels as far from water as possible. Ill endeavor to keep it extra dry, love that little reel, bloody awesome!
Good to see some one else who is an Avet fan, you don't hear much about them over here?

Cheers
Josh