PDA

View Full Version : Its Official - Cabarita, Pottsvile Brunswick and associated beaches.

MudRiverDan
29-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Its Official - Cabarita, Pottsvile Brunswick and associated beaches are totally void of any suitable fish.

Been down over 6 times in the last 6 weeks, all for nil.

Few shovels and a dart.

I am assuming the beach netters have been thrashing it hard, flogging every last fish out of the area before anyone else can catch one.

The fish sure are not ending up on "aussie plates" if it was anything like the stinking old mullet I bought at woolies Banora point the other day, it was not even fit for bait.

Dan

somervillebm
30-12-2012, 07:29 AM
Hi Dan, Your not far from the mark. I have lived down this way for a year or so and it seams that the fish only travel threw not stay. Try the gutters either side of the headlands Cabarita, Pottsvile. I have not seen the netters as the seas have been too big..

Bruce

mattooty
31-12-2012, 03:15 PM
I fished Bruns last week for a good bag of bream with 2 flathead and a cracker tailor. Be versatile and adapt to the conditions. The fish are just about ALWAYS there, you just need to go through all your techniques until you find the one that works.

MudRiverDan
31-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Had a crack this morning, tide was about 2.4 m, good water.. did not lose a bait.

Spoke to a guy this morning and he took a few dart last night, personally I don't target Dart, but you can get them on soft plastics on the beaches if they are about.

Heard people talk of a few Tailor too but how come Tailor?
Thought it was the wrong time of year for them.

Dan

Daryl McPhee
31-12-2012, 05:35 PM
I generally do pretty well at Kingscliff on tailor and other odds and ends, and I have a few posts floating around various fishing websites on catches there. I personally though would not fish it this time of year. I fish it May/June/July which are the pick of the months for surf fishing in my opinion. What were the formations like when you were there? Any good spots that looked like they would hold fish?

MudRiverDan
31-12-2012, 05:51 PM
I generally do pretty well at Kingscliff on tailor and other odds and ends, and I have a few posts floating around various fishing websites on catches there. I personally though would not fish it this time of year. I fish it May/June/July which are the pick of the months for surf fishing in my opinion. What were the formations like when you were there? Any good spots that looked like they would hold fish?

I was fishing just down the reserve carpark bit, where the empty car park is, there is a few holes there just as you walk out onto the beach and with a 2.4 m tide was good water
but nothing.
Not an ideal spot but has produced some nice fish with a little persistence (most fish the obvious holes there but at low you can walk out and get some good fish).

Yes I do better in winter there, good Tailor cruising around and some good bream, but summer seems to be very slim on the good fish.

One thing I did notice a few days ago was stonker fish swimming around the rocks at Brunswick wall, some well into 3-4kg.
Maybe bream but for the size I am guessing bream and bigger trevs.
But the darker ones would have definitely been Luderick, good size.
Makes you wonder how you would go fishing late around the river with light gear or setting up a blackfish rig and trying some weed or light rig yabbies or pippies.

The North wall is not reall good for fishing at the moment it is sand barred up, you can sit on the North wall throw your line North and the current will pick it up and carry it a full 180 round the wall and up the river :D In saying that I never do any good there.

Dan

BLOOEY
31-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Can get very good runs of large tailor around christmas in that area Dan. Jew sized baits will get em ,oh and some monster shovellies which i know you love,hehe. Ben

efc
01-01-2013, 04:10 PM
HeyDan,
I have given up fishing around that area and travel down to Ballina for a beach session. I might give black rock a quick fish this week while the swell is up. Might see you down there.

MudRiverDan
01-01-2013, 07:30 PM
HeyDan,
I have given up fishing around that area and travel down to Ballina for a beach session. I might give black rock a quick fish this week while the swell is up. Might see you down there.

Yes its worth the extra fuel just to have a decent experience, my future beach trips will be better planned.

I have caught stonker bream around black rock, mid winter at night.

Watch the swells they have been causing strong rips and clean washing your rig down the beach into 1 foot of water all day, high and low tide.
They are bad atm because of the cyclone but if they ease up should be ok.

Dan