PDA

View Full Version : gel coat filler problems HELP

catfish55
24-12-2012, 09:06 AM
Help me please

Ok I have anolder boat I’m refurbishing and the front has been scratched and gouged overthe last 20 plus years so having done some fibreglasing over the years. durrrr

Cut a long story short I’v used gel coatfiller and over a fair area say 1 metre by 400mm

I didn’t useenough hardener! the hardener that came with it was BENZOYL PEROXIDE 50%W/W

SO I HAD A GREAT IDEA

I had some polyester resin hardener methylethelketoneperoxide so I just brushed this over the top hoping I can hardenthe filler at least enough to sand! Originally used the proper hardener, justnot enough!

Any ideas

Will it eventuallygo of?

Put thelater on last night and is soft this morning hoping a hot day will help.

PLEASE SOME ADVISE, CONSTRUCTIVE PLEASE

PAT

chris69
24-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Hi there Pat in might eventually go off,what percentage of hardner did yo use 1% or less.

stevemid
24-12-2012, 05:54 PM
you could try a heat gun, but a grinder more likely.

thylacene
24-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Gelcoat is for use in molds, if externally applied it will remain tacky. You might be able to rough sand and flowcoat it. Flowcoat will harden, and then fair it back?

Jeremy
24-12-2012, 07:04 PM
If it doesn't go off, you should be able to remove it with acetone and then start over

catfish55
25-12-2012, 07:26 AM
nar mate its a gell coat filler should go off has else where
thanks pat

catfish55
25-12-2012, 07:31 AM
thank you all well the second hardener that i used methyl etheyl peroxide obviously dont work at all ?????/ its a bugger too cause it was such a good job looks like a acitone job anyone know the different aplications of the 2 different hardeners and why one works but the other doesnt? merry xmass all and thanks for your replys
oh and steve mid , thanks also but ill pass on the grinder mate hehehe
pat