PDA

View Full Version : Fishing near a Green Zone.

Haji-Baba
29-11-2012, 09:22 PM
My wife had the experience of hooking a very good fish on light gear and during the course of the fight of twenty minutes or more we nearly finished up in a nearby "Green Zone."

Now the question is, if by chance we still had the fish on and entered the
"Green Zone" do we cut the line or continue on to land the fish.

As it was the line parted and we were saved again, but not my reputation as a gaff man.

Lost my good gaff too.

Have Fun Haji-Baba

Moonlighter
29-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Regrettably, the law is simple - you can't be fishing inside a green zone. Matters not one bit where you started fishing, you simply can't have a line in the water in a GZ, even if no fish is on the end. Full stop, end of discussion. Black and white.........

Cheers

ML

shauno555
30-11-2012, 09:50 AM
I came very close to coming into a green zone on Saturday. Same thing hooked up on light gear offshore and chased a little before realizing I was close to the green zone. So cut the motor and fought the fish the hard way and gaffes it 100m inside the GZ. There was no way I was letting the fish go or cutting my line when it costs $1 a meter. No DPI around but a few dive boats that may call up and report. But what moonlighter said. You just can't be in there fishing. Unfortunately that's just how it is.

Haji-Baba
30-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Thanks lads, Just a query as to any other experiences re this type of thing.

We were not at any time in the green zone but when all the sxcitement had cooled down a bit I realised we were probably only 200 meters outside the boundary.

If we had gone over the border there is no way I would cut the line.

Whilst the law is the law, common sense has to prevail some times and I would be most dissapointed to get a "ticket."

Have fun Haji-Baba.

shauno555
30-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Well that's my theory. We have been pulled up by DPI in a green zone. We weren't fishing but had just released a big GT after taking some photos and drifting into it. We were only just inside but had caught it several hundred meters outside the boundary. They basicacally just warned us as they new we had caught it outside but we were too close and then proceeded to ask questions about safety and knowledge of the green zone. Then sent us on our merry way. Don't think that would happen every time. But they can even fine you for being in a green zone with rigged rods. Same with spears. The bands have to be taken off.

Gazza
30-11-2012, 04:44 PM
Never fear M8 ,

Dr. Mark "MP" Robinson with the assistance of Phill & TimiBoy ,
is getting the rules changed to "allow" 1 Rod/boat in Green Zone(s) :thumbsup:
Trust me...

Moonlighter
30-11-2012, 05:00 PM
They might TRY to fine you for having rigged rods in a green zone, but they will really struggle to make it stick.

The law is that you can't be fishing in a GZ. So no line in water = not fishing. Rod rigged or not, doesn't matter.

Quote from the Moreton Bay Marine Park guide re fishing gear in GZ:

"All equipment to conduct this activity must be stowed or secured in board the vessel and completely out of the water."

The GBRMPA guide says almost exactly he same thing:

"You can travel through a MNP Green zone with fishing gear on board provided that all fishing lines are stowed or secured; that is, any line or handheld rod is Inboard the boat or in rod holders. While a hook can still be attached to a line, no part of any fishing gear may be in the water."

No mention in any of these about de-rigging, as you can plainly see.

Don't let them push you round. If they say you have to de-rig, politely ask them to show you or quote you the section of the law that says that, and say you are genuinely interested to see it so that you can fully comply.

They won't be able to.

But don't be silly about this either. If they come across you in a GZ with a rigged rod in your hand in a casting position, you will be in trouble. They use radar to pick up boats in GZs, and watch you thru powerful binoculars.

Cheers

ML

Lucky_Phill
01-12-2012, 07:31 PM
Never fear M8 ,

Dr. Mark "MP" Robinson with the assistance of Phill & TimiBoy ,
is getting the rules changed to "allow" 1 Rod/boat in Green Zone(s) :thumbsup:
Trust me...

Not even close.......

I think you should go fishing more often, or start READING and understand what is written.

The rules are quite clear for posting on Ausfish. In case you are unsure, just recall what you read and agreed to before signing up.

Topic.

Haja...... as Moonlighter said. The rules are clear, but also as Shauno stated, Fisheries Officers can use discretion.

cheers LP

Haji-Baba
01-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Yes L.P.

I am hopeful that common sense would apply, as we do try to do the right thing and have been fishing for many years particularly the northern end of the Bay.

I have only ever entered a G.Z. on one occassion to recover a runaway crab pot and got out as quick as I could.

As for having rods rigged in the boat I read that as ok.
No line in the water in a G.Z. or fishing in any manner is simple to adhere to and understand.

The potential problem we had the other day was a very good fish, big and powerful and almost caused us to stray in to the nearby G.Z. She "M. For. W. and Finances" hooked the fish at least 600 meters outside the boundary.

My wife and fishing patner of 60 years would have nueted me if I had even suggested cutting the line. As it was the fish won the fight and I have been paying the price ever since for losing the Gaff.

Have Fun Haji-Baba

HOW BIG?
01-12-2012, 08:30 PM
I think you should go fishing more often, or start READING and understand what is written.

I think Gazza should actually just go fishing full stop.
Only bugger on a fishing forum that never seems to go fishing, boating or anything water related.
Only political discussions for Gazza please ::)

Funchy
01-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Just a suggestion, when I am fishing in the yak on a drift I drop the anchor (mainly for safety as I want to concentrate on the fish). perhaps if fishing close to the green zone and you hook up on a drift it would pay to drop anchor?

Problem then is if you are losing line and have to chase but then the "no fishing in a GZ applies?

Just a suggestion, good topic for a thread mate and tight lines :)