PDA

View Full Version : Grey Nurse Shark Area's - QLD Time for a change

kingie
24-09-2012, 01:25 PM
NSW is reviewing the access to Grey Nurse Shark (GNS) protection zones and is changing the rules to allow access to anglers using methods that pose no direct risk to GNS.
Locally off brisbane GNS aggrigation area's we see the sharks mainly in Winter, this is the time there is a risk of hooking GNS if using large cut and live fish baits fished close to the bottom, particulary at night.

So what about pressureing the new QLD Government into using common sense and allow trolling of lures in GNS areas like NSW is now doing, Qld Zoning was based on their system, if it is considered necessary from a compliance and enforcement perspective then have a 200m exclusion zone area around the GNS resting gutters at Flat rock and Hendersons marked by a bouy system and only having it active in Winter.

The change would pose minimal risk to the Grey Nurse Sharks even when considering the "Precautionary Principle" often used by fisheries managers and we get back access to prime bommie area's that were fished for years and years by many of us who troll lures for Wahoo and Mackerel without impacting the Grey Nurse sharks.
KINGIE

bennykenny
24-09-2012, 02:31 PM
theres a problem with that Kingie,it actually makes sense, so our government wont even consider it!!!

Smithy
25-09-2012, 07:27 AM
I'm with you. If you start a petition or something I would sign it. Alternatively visit your local member and try and get it changed from the political side. No way the greeny public servants in DERM/EPA or whatever they are this week would want their work turned backwards. It can only come from the political side of things with ministers kicking heads of department chiefs.

red rock cod
29-09-2012, 06:01 PM
whats the most common sharks in the aquariums in queensland?

NAGG
29-09-2012, 06:07 PM
I'm with you. If you start a petition or something I would sign it. Alternatively visit your local member and try and get it changed from the political side. No way the greeny public servants in DERM/EPA or whatever they are this week would want their work turned backwards. It can only come from the political side of things with ministers kicking heads of department chiefs.

Are there any left ?

Chris