PDA

View Full Version : Bungs

dadstinny
22-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Howdy all, on my glass boat she is leaking from the bottom left hand screw.

https://www.absolutemarine.co.nz/images/products/Chandlery/Bungs/4102.jpg

This is letting water in more so than out :o

I have tried to tighten the screw as best I can but when I filled the boat up with water it has a slight drip every 2 seconds just from that corner.

So wondering whether I can just silicone around the leaking spot?

Or if I need to remove the whole bung holder and get a new seal and put it all back together?

I am not keen on removing the bung as i am concerned with it being an older boat once you get the screws out you may not get them back in as tight?

Any ideas appreciated!

tunaticer
22-09-2012, 02:04 PM
Pull the screws and check for rotting timber at the least mate. Then if no rot is found seat the base back with a decent bead of silicone or sealing compound before scewing it in place again and cleaining up.
If you find some timber rot address the situation and need be. Once it starts, it does not stop.

dadstinny
22-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Pull the screws and check for rotting timber at the least mate. Then if no rot is found seat the base back with a decent bead of silicone or sealing compound before scewing it in place again and cleaining up.
If you find some timber rot address the situation and need be. Once it starts, it does not stop.

As always your a champ!

Ill remove the screws, fingers crossed they go back :)....

Moonlighter
22-09-2012, 06:53 PM
Yep, pull it out, check nd reinstall. Use the good marine sikaflex 291, I think it is, not the cheap clear stuff.

Cheers

ML

stue2
22-09-2012, 07:24 PM
The screws dont need to be tight. they need only be firm and sikaflexed. If you do pull one, drill it out, fill it with resin and redrill.

cheers