PDA

View Full Version : Quintrex Spirit owners.

BigE
03-09-2012, 05:25 PM
ausfishers
I just purchased a 530 quintrex spirit with a 90 optimax. I'm asking for performance information from other who have had experience with this combo and any general advice on set up and use. Interested in lowest planning speed - top speed - cruising speed - fuel econ - prop size - and any things you have found benificial to this boat/motor package. happy to hear positive and negitive views on this combo, but keep em constructive if you can.

Thanks BigE

BigE
04-09-2012, 07:27 AM
Hope im not Robinson Cruso !! LOL

BigE

tr41
04-09-2012, 08:57 AM
I've just picked up a 5.49 stacer waverunner with a 90 opti (similar rig i guess)- I've only had it on the water 3 times so maybe someone with more hours can jump in too :)
Its doing about 2km/L or around 15L/Hour @ 30km/h at around 3800rpm - according to the smartcraft gauge and it will plane at around 20km/h, haven't had it to WOT yet - but have done 45km/h at around 5000. its got a 18P vengeance prop.

will follow with interest

-t

BigE
04-09-2012, 04:36 PM
TR41

Thanks mate, From the same stable so should be similar with the same OB. two k's to the litre sounds ok as far as econ goes. The prop info is interesting I might see if I can rustle up a couple of different props to try. What RPM are you turning at 20kph (slow plane speed) Are you happy with the power of the 90 for your rig?

Will share what info I find ?

BigE

whiteman
05-09-2012, 01:54 PM
Got the same boat with a Yammy saltwater 115 2s. Get around 1.6km/l. Does around 65kph top speed and cruises 45kph at 4200. A very dry boat and don't use clears. I put a Permatrim on it years ago to improve the hole shot and reduce planing speed. Also helps to level the boat at trolling speed and have a useful platform when snorkeling the reef. These hulls are rated for 115. My mate had one with a Yammy 100 4s and it was noticeably slower than mine.

BigE
05-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks Whiteman.

Do you think the permatrim was worth while mod? During the water test my initial thoughts were the boat was very flat and didn't require any extra stern lift. Did it help with low speed planing ability? i dont have a top speed but it cracked 40MPH during a quick squirt.

Thanks BigE

tr41
06-09-2012, 09:16 AM
TR41
What RPM are you turning at 20kph (slow plane speed) Are you happy with the power of the 90 for your rig?
BigE

Not sure on the RPM will check when i get out next, and 90 is adequate, but more power would be nice (my wife says its a male thing), that said it travels OK - last trip i had 3 POB and the usual fishing gear and i never found myself needing more power then was available.

once the wind stops I'll be out there again!

whiteman
06-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Thanks Whiteman.

Do you think the permatrim was worth while mod? During the water test my initial thoughts were the boat was very flat and didn't require any extra stern lift. Did it help with low speed planing ability? i dont have a top speed but it cracked 40MPH during a quick squirt.

Thanks BigE

Permatrim worth it for me. It was obvious when I was in Sydney as there were a couple of long runs at sub 6 knots to get to unrestricted water and the boat would bog in at that speed. I do a lot of 4-6 knot trolling and it works well but I haven't had it off since I bought it so can't compare life without it. There is a fair bit of weight aft once the esky starts filling!

rumy1
07-09-2012, 05:51 PM
I have a 5.8 Spirit with a 135 Honda, 4 blade Solas prop .. top speed is 30 kt. If I go to a three blade prop I was told it wouldn't make much difference as these hulls are a slow hull, not designed for speed. I really like my boat so 30 kt will do me.

whiteman
08-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Agree Rumy. Mine starts getting very light and twitchy over 30 knots. Speed is not their forte.

BigE
08-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Fitted the GPS/Sounder combo today and put some gear in and organised the deck and storage. Going to put some hrs on it tommorow and will let you know how it goes.

BigE

BigE
09-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Put some hrs on the engine today was a bit windy and choppy in the bay and the motor is new so it may improve but overall I'm a happy camper.
Prop is an 18p SS vengenance.
Low speed plane = 18kph @ 2900 rpm 1nm per ltr
Easy cruise into chop 22-25kph @ 3200 - 3400rpm 1.2 nm per ltr
Easy cruise with chop 30-35kph @ 3800 - 4100 rpm 1.6 -1.8 nm per ltr
cruise with chop 40kph @ 4400 1.5 nm per ltr
cruise with chop 50 kph @ 5000 1.4 nm per ltr.

boat and motor seems to work well in the 30-40 kph zone and doesn't throw much spray around and is noticable better without the clears up as it does lean into the wind like it does with the clears on.

BigE

BigE
09-09-2012, 07:12 PM
BTW

1 NM = 1.8 KM so 1.6 - 1.8 NM/Ltr = 2.88 - 3.24 km/Ltr

Which seems a bit too good, might need to do the fill the tank after a trip to verify the figures.

BigE

Moonlighter
09-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Those figures are very good, and not implausible.

On my previous boat which was a 4.8m plate JBS cuddy, I had the 90 Tohatsu TLDI as mentioned previously. I got very similar figures to the ones you are quoting. I could confidently count on 3 km/litre on that motor and sometimes got as good as 3.4 km/litre if I took it easy in good conditions.

So given the similarities of the injection system on the Tohatsu and Opti, you could well get similar economy. As you say, check actual fuel used vs the system and you might need to calibrate it a bit if it is out- I imagine you can do that with the smart craft?

Cheers

ML

BigE
09-09-2012, 07:58 PM
ML
Thanks for the reply. hope your right I will be real happy if it can achieve 2.5 Km/Lt or better that would make me one happy camper! fiar bit of a change from the old In Line 6 merc on the old boat.Hope the opti is as reliable as the old Inline she was noisey thirsty powerful, but never let me down.

BigE