PDA

View Full Version : Question about Suzuki Outboards

troy
25-08-2012, 02:12 PM
This always seems to happen to me when i decide on buying a Motor.
Was ready to buy a 30 hp suzuki 2 stroke and soon as i mentioned it to a few friends the sxxt hit the fan and then i seen the same on Ausfish.
The comments about Suzuki is they are at the bottom of other makes from 30 hp down.
This surprises me as i always believed Suzuki was up there with the best.
Any one want to make a comment on this.
Troy

Andy56
25-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Shit, in this engine size, it wouldn't matter if you bought Tohatsu. They are all good to go.
I would be searching for the best deals. The economy and power would be very competitive between all types. Remember 10 percent of bugger all is still bugger all! Hahaha

Swanie1975
25-08-2012, 02:45 PM
a mate and i use a little 18hp tohatsu on the little crabbing tinny and its awesome. always starts 1-2 pulls from cold and 1 when warm. trolls no prob with lures and only very occasionally do we get any smoke or smell from it. a good quality oil seems to be key for it. never had any probs and never been for a service either lol.

cheers ryan

Jarrah Jack
25-08-2012, 03:14 PM
I've got a 40hp tohatsu/mariner and its proven to be extremely strong and reliable. I couldn't imagine the zuk to be any different to be honest. Are you talking 4 stroke or 2?

Prowl n Wolf
25-08-2012, 05:46 PM
agree with you jack about the 40 tohatsu. had one myself and reckon it was the most reliable i've had on a tinny. the current yammy 30 is also a ripper. troy i had suzi 30 2 stroke on a 420 quinny dory and can say that it did not miss a beat. in this day and age i don't think you can go wrong when buying new. regards, tony.

Moonlighter
25-08-2012, 06:43 PM
Bear in mind is that some 30s are 2 cylinders, and some are 3 cylinders.

The 3 cyls will naturally have some extra torque and be a bit smoother.

The other thing is that there are "low tec" and "higher " motors in this size range too.

For instance, Yammy has a 30 CV model that is a 2 cylinder and not oil injected, so you have to mix your own fuel/oil. it's the cheap one in their range.

I had a 30 Yammy 2 stroke hi-tec version which is oil injected and a 3 cylinder for many years, great motor. Never missed a beat in 10 years.

So, just make sure you are comparing apples with apples, it's easy to get caught otherwise.

Cheers

ML

troy
25-08-2012, 07:20 PM
There is a Thread here where some are saying the Zuzuki in this size is a bit weak for a better word compared to other motors and some say they sound tinny.
Not my words as i was going to buy one.
I would love a electric start 30 hp Yamaha 2 stroke but not for $7000 but as i was told by a Dealer you have to convert them from forward controls into a tiller steer and that is where the big $$$$ come in.
Do not think i am having a shot at the Suzuki as nothing could be further from the truth how ever what i buy i want to be happy with it.
Troy

stevej
25-08-2012, 08:11 PM
over the years i have had 5, 30 3 cylinder yamahas on various boats and they are awesome little engine, smooth quiet no fumes and 100:1 on oil
never had one fail with 3-4k hours between them all

shy guys
25-08-2012, 09:53 PM
Had a 40 suzi 2 stroke on a 4.3 tinny was a great motor always started 1st is 2nd pull the key is the oil buy a quality oil I loved it Awsome power 2

MACK CHASER
26-08-2012, 01:34 AM
I think it might pay to shop about if there quoting that much I bought a 40hp yamaha tiller steer electric start trim an tilt xl leg 3 cyl 12 mths ago for just on $6000 brand new

Dignity
26-08-2012, 07:11 PM
my mate runs a 30hp Suzi and it has never missed a beat, I think these days all new motors are pretty good, I have 30 hp merc which I don't think runs as well as his suzi. Mine gets regular servicing and uses quicksilver premium oil but still not up to the job.

troy
26-08-2012, 08:08 PM
I said from the start i would never have thought this about Suziki 2 stroke small motors but the threads are there but i suppose this could be said about other makes.
Just wish i could find the thread or posts so people could see what was being said.
Troy

pig75
26-08-2012, 08:36 PM
I have a 2004 30 Suzuki runs great never had a problem. last time i went out in it it had been sitting for 3 months with the same fuel and started within 5 sec of pushing the start button

PADDLES
27-08-2012, 08:13 AM
suzuki is a bit of an underdog, they never seem to have much advertising or promotion, they never seem to do real well in motorsport. but from the motorcycle angle, and knowing a few guys in the know with regards to small engines, suzuki make some of the best motorcycle engines in the world and i can't see why their 2 stroke outboards would be any different. they've had some wierd and dodgy australian importer setups over the years here in australia, but i'm pretty sure their product is good.

like tony says though, you won't go wrong with anything in the small conventional 2 stroke range, and for those who bag the humble tohatsu, don't tohatsu make small outboards for some of the other manufacturers anyway, if not now they've certainly done it over the years. but like suzuki, tohatsu have suffered over the years from a less than helpful australian importer if you believe the stories, i still bought one though and it's awesome.

Goodoo haven
27-08-2012, 10:13 AM
don't tohatsu make small outboards for some of the other manufacturers anyway, if not now they've certainly done it over the years. but like suzuki, tohatsu have suffered over the years from a less than helpful australian importer if you believe the stories, i still bought one though and it's awesome.

yes they do sell the portable 2 strokes to Mercury. I had a Tohatsu 40hp TLDI and I found it to be an absolutely awesome motor.