PDA

View Full Version : Worms...etc

PNG1M
11-08-2012, 12:10 AM
Haven't posted in a while so thought I'd better get a look in...

Based in Roma the price of earthworms at a local supplier on the airport road is $8.00 for 20 worms or $12.00 for 40 worms. But sometimes the 40 worm tubs are not available so you gotta get the 20.

Another supplier in the town centre charges more than that but I can't recall exactly how much and as I thought it was a bit of a rip-off so I've never bought worms from there.

However I did get my own worm farm up and running. It was one of those worm cafe thingies. I asked for and paid for the bigger 'night-crawler' varieties but the supplier suggested I get a larger amount of worms of different sizes instead of just the chunky ones (then they'd grow and breed).

I agreed and it was ok for a while but I found that i was using all the large worms for bait. With only small piddley ones left I started buying worms from the suppliers. What I didn't use for bait I put back into the worm farm, so the stock is gradually increasing. Hopefully they will creep up again in numbers.

In the meantime the last 12 or so fish I've caught (over three months) equals 4 yellowbelly; 2 eel-tail catties; 3 carp and a few of those small spangled perch tiddlers.

I haven't caught a fish on a lure here yet but I'm hopig to get a canoe soon so I can better access the smaller (and larger) creeks & waterways.

PNG1M
01-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Umm...well the work situation hasn't improved a lot as th worms in my worm farm seem to be very slow growing.

It was pretty good catching live shrimps for bait and they did work from time to time.

The best thing though was that I did manage to catch a nice sized yellowbelly on a lure at Mitchell (during August).
I caught it on a Celta style flashing lure but quite a large one that I'd ordered from the USA.

Hopefully there'll be more hook-ups to come. So far the ratio is about 200 casts : 1 fish