PDA

View Full Version : The age old boat cover problem....

paullee
14-07-2012, 06:50 PM
822838228282281How do you overcome this...bought a new cover online and i probably should have either went one size down or one size up to cover the outboard as well.....pisses me off....cover needs strap attachments at the back to pull it tight imo. Remedies anyone?

bobbyb
14-07-2012, 07:11 PM
mate, turn your boat up the rite way to stop the water getting underneath. lol.

sorry, more straps i guess........

Spin
14-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Might even be worse than leaving it uncovered
They sweat in those covers trap all the water in?
Maybe just a cover like a trap too keep the sun off and some rain if its left in the weather
In a shed after its dry to keep the dust off that's about all they are good for
tell me different
I might be wrong ?

paullee
14-07-2012, 07:49 PM
mate, turn your boat up the rite way to stop the water getting underneath. lol.

sorry, more straps i guess........

Lol thats the other thing that pisses me off...why do photos appear upside down when uploaded from an i phone??????

paullee
14-07-2012, 07:51 PM
[QUOTE=Spin;1402287]Might even be worse than leaving it uncovered
They sweat in those covers trap all the water in?
Maybe just a cover like a trap too keep the sun off and some rain if its left in the weather
In a shed after its dry to keep the dust off that's about all they are good for
tell me different
I might be wrong ?[/QUOTE

Yeah i think yr right...now searching for shade sail quotes.....

Greg P
14-07-2012, 08:01 PM
What material is that cover made from?

I don't have any dramas with my cover in the rain. 5 years old now and still like new 82291

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dicktracey
14-07-2012, 08:24 PM
What material is that cover made from?

I don't have any dramas with my cover in the rain. 5 years old now and still like new 82291

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Thats a great cover Greg
Who & how much mate ?
cheers
Dick

Scott79
14-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Thats a great cover Greg
Who & how much mate ?
cheers
Dick

X2 mate, that is a good looking cover.
Scott.

Greg P
14-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Was about $1800 at the time (2007) from a guy in Caboolture - Rays Custom Canvas. Has all rub pads on the rocket launchers, any edge point, breathes so no mould etc. Storage cover only not for transport - one of them was super expensive. Pretty heavy but still one person job.

Hossfish
15-07-2012, 08:24 AM
G'day Paullee

It looks very similar to my cover. I think the brand was ocean south or something like that.

I was having similar troubles but i played around with the positioning of the cover and it dosn't do it anymore.

I was contemplating putting a plastic beachball under the offending area as i thought that might help the rain run off.

Overall i am very happy with my cover.

Safe boating to all.

Regards Greg

Scott79
15-07-2012, 09:10 AM
Thanks Greg.
From the pic it looks like a towable cover, wonder what makes it 'towable' - just more tie down points and re-inforcement?

Scott.

netmaker
15-07-2012, 10:15 AM
custom covers by netmaker lol:

about $100 for tarp, clips, electrical conduit. waterproof to rear well, windproof, bug proof with attachable velcro mosquito netting and tows at 80km! haven't tried it in a 100 zone... yet;)

Muddy Toes
15-07-2012, 10:20 AM
Can't see the pics Davo but I really want to see your contraption........any chance of trying to get the pics up ?

netmaker
15-07-2012, 12:17 PM
having some trouble there lately. changed pc's and trying photobucket again:

82335 82338 82339

netmaker
15-07-2012, 12:46 PM
should have added: that conduit collapses down like tent poles (only the end 2 feet of each length is used so they lock into each other) and the top cross section has a bolt and nut thru it. stows up front and weighs stuff all.

WalrusLike
15-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Paulee I have two tips for you.... Since I had both of your problems... Upside down photos and pooling water in cover.

iPhone photos should be taken with the camera lense at highest point.... So tip it left with the home button on the right side and the lense at left top.

With the cover I have a strap from wheel arch to wheel arch over the gunnel and then the folded down Bimini rests on the strap. It lifts the central bit of the cover and fixes the pooling issue.

The strap is the tie down I have for trailering but instead of Bimini below it (for highway) I have Bimini resting on it for propping up the cover.

Refugee
16-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Paulee, try tying a rope from bow to stern over the windscreen. This creates a tent effect and the water runs off easily.

WalrusLike
16-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Paulee, try tying a rope from bow to stern over the windscreen. This creates a tent effect and the water runs off easily.

Aw crap...... A bloody obvious (and good) solution but I was stupidly fooling around with straps and biminis. I wish I had of thought of it. :)

Thanks for the tip.

paullee
16-07-2012, 06:16 PM

Yep that sounds the go and yes i feel pretty stupid now as well.....Thanks and i'll let you know how it goes....

tenzing
16-07-2012, 09:23 PM
An old fit ball on top of the anchor winch stopped the water pooling over the cabin with mine .
Very quick and the only recognized sensible use of a fit ball!
Cheers
Brendan

netmaker
16-07-2012, 09:26 PM

aw, c'mon. you just got that idea from the netmaker 2012:P;D

deckie
17-07-2012, 01:52 AM
This ^^^
Or 3-5 bux at Whitworths u get a fair bit of shock cord. Put a small 316 saddle on to top point of windscreen in middle. Cut an old coat hanger and bend into hooks for the cord ends, cut cord so it pulls taught between bow and transom/donk/baitboard and simply hook to bow roller, thread thru saddle on windscreen and stretch tight and hook onto the back before putting the cover on. No knots and easy on/off.