PDA

View Full Version : The shingles will jarr anything loose!!

Scalem
25-06-2012, 08:55 PM
The weekend before last the swell was quite safe to cross the SPB at our bait v arti meet and greet, but what a rough ride home through the shingles after crossing.:o Even following Bulls' wash through there my boat fell into one of those "pot holes" that everyone dreads, no matter how big a boat you have. We free - fell into one of these, and the crunch at the bottom didn't injure any of the crew, but I can't say the same for the passenger side seat.:'( The screws holding the pedestal base ripped up out of the floor:o No blame on passengers at all, seats are meant to be well installed, which I found, on closer inspection, that securing a pedestal base by drilling self tapper screws straight through carpet and into the floor, then placing the base over the carpeted floor is not the best install of a seat I could ever have imagined. The rocking of the boat on a soft carpet was eventually going to pull the screws out, which is what happened.

I spoke to a number of people, including Micadogs, friends, people at marine retail stores and I was faced with a few options. The best would have been to be able to get my hand up under the floor somehow to use bolts with nuts, but this proved impossible to do without drilling another inspection hole under the seat base. Smallest inspection port is 102mm..... which might have done the trick, but didn't like the idea with an under floor fuel tank sitting right there, very close to the area I was working with.

Long story short, an epoxy resin kit was purchased so I could resin and seal in two marine ply disks as bases, and use upturned bolts so that I could use nylon lock nuts to bolt the pedestals in. I bought bigger self tapper screws to use in the inside of the base radius, backed them out once drilled in so I could pour resin into the holes, before final tightening and sealing in the resin. So the bases are stuck to the floor, sealed in resin, and coated again.

This should not move going through the shingles next time there is a big swell running, but my crew will be asked to stand for the final run coming through there in future. Total cost of the project was not quite $100.00, It should prove to be strong enough now. I Need to carpet trim just for aesthetics, a vaccume clean up too, but it's all done!

Scalem

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp223/Scalem/seatbase.jpg
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp223/Scalem/newbase.jpg

tropicrows
25-06-2012, 09:29 PM
I agree with you totally, I've still got two sore knees to prove it. I took my eyes off the water at one point when Bill (2IC) found a hole, and both my knees hit a cross bar, fu@k that hurt. Those shingles are a bone crunching experience.

captain rednut
25-06-2012, 09:53 PM
nice work scalem that should fix it.
cheers jim

TimD
25-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Good work Brian :thumbsup:

At least Simon broke it and not me, i would of felt real bad and probably gone on a diet :D

cheers tim :)

WalrusLike
25-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Guys sorry for the ignorance.... But what or where is the Shingles?

I thought it was a disease caused by chicken pox virus when it gets inside a nerve fibre.... But what do I know?

Boat Hog
26-06-2012, 05:43 AM

I thought it was a disease caused by chicken pox virus when it gets inside a nerve fibre.... But what do I know?

Yep. Plus 1 here. Shingles? Holes? Please explain?

bf90
26-06-2012, 06:17 AM
pot holes, yeah, I have driven into my fair share of them too and I always think to myself "where the hell did that come from??" But the shingles, I thought that was a skin condition that made ya itchy and scratchy and is as painful as all get out.

WalrusLike
26-06-2012, 06:36 AM
Pot holes I understand...... On our first trip to Peel we were going along well with a bit of up and downy and the occasional splashy noisy bit.

We all know that you can get rogue waves.... On the ocean they are maybe from a different continent, but in the bay they pop up out of nowhere because two or three ordinary waves came along and exactly met just at our boat so their heights added.

Well if you think about it the same thing can happen in reverse.... Their troughs met and created a sudden pothole. You don't see it coming because it's only ordinary waves meeting.

All of a sudden it was like someone had stolen the water..... We were in free fall for an hour or so and got a big surprise. So potholes... Yeah I get that. But shingles? A viral disease of the nerve?

Bull
26-06-2012, 06:49 AM
Its the area that runs parallel with and inside south passage bar as you head up to the northern channel

Cheers Brett

WalrusLike
26-06-2012, 06:54 AM
Thanks Brett. Any idea why it's calls the shingles? Is it the type of bottom? Ie shingles are small flattish rocks I think?

Scalem
26-06-2012, 07:04 AM

I thought it was a disease caused by chicken pox virus when it gets inside a nerve fibre.... But what do I know? I don't know if you will find it on a navigation chart or its just what local guys called it, but its the stretch of water that you need to traverse just inside the bar in order to position yourself for crossing. I think it is at its worste at the Northern end, closer to the northern channel. Basically it is the rough water that exists because of what is left from waves which have reduced in size on the bar and meet each other from all directions in the water immediately inside the south passage bar.

The expression pot hole is an old one that I used to best describe what it feels like when you find a spot that waves have combined to drop your boat into a void of nothing, just air until you find the bottom of that hole that jarrs everything in the boat. Many a physical injury can result to you or the boat, especially if you are not prepared for it.. I'm sure many have stuffed their backs as a result of crossing this area without bending their legs to absorb some of the shock.

Scalem

deckie
26-06-2012, 07:30 AM
Sounds like you dropped into one of those holes that makes u sweat on opening the bottom bung when u get back to the ramp.
We cop standing waves when a decent run out with a NE blowing in the arvo at Broken Bay...got all the Hawkesbury going one way and a black noreaster the other way....u can run all the way back in sloppy windswell, and just when u think its about to become gravy u spot standing waves near Barrenjoey that bring u back to a crawl. They seem to launch a boat upwards before disappearing under you...slamsville.
Good to hear noone hurt. Nice fix....might be time to go right around the boat checking every bolt and screw, batt switch connections etc....and see if any of your teeth are loose.

"Shingles" eh...yeah even sounds like a nasty spot.

netmaker
26-06-2012, 08:18 AM
we have a pet name for that area too - the washing machine. it's amazing on those glassed out days (inside and out) how that little area stands up (and drops away).

Moonlighter
26-06-2012, 10:40 AM
And strangely enough, it is usually worse on a run-up tide in that area than it is on a run-out: the opposite of what you would normally think.

Probably its due to the combination of the waves coming arcross the Bar area through the different channels, and the tide also coming thru that area from the Rainbow Channel at one end and the Rous Channel at the other end.

Either way, a washing machine is the result - waves coming from all directions at once, a very confused sea, as the old-timers would say.

It can change in minutes from quite smooth to really ugly, and vice-versa.

And quite a long run thru it as well - from the northern end, it would have to be what? Maybe 3km or so of that washing machine to go thru before you get to the Bar on the way out, or to the entrance to the Rous or Rainbow channels on the way back in?

It's one good reason why we nearly always come back in thru the Amity end of the bar, via a channel somewhere up that southern end, be it in near the beach, or out around the Rufus King wreck, because this minimises or even eliminates that long run thru the washing machine after a long day's fishing offshore. Especially as we mostly go back home to Cleveland ramp via the Rainbow.

Cheers

ML

bf90
26-06-2012, 02:40 PM
yeah netmaker, washing machine is the name I go by as well.

Axl
26-06-2012, 08:13 PM
And strangely enough, it is usually worse on a run-up tide in that area than it is on a run-out: the opposite of what you would normally think.

Probably its due to the combination of the waves coming arcross the Bar area through the different channels, and the tide also coming thru that area from the Rainbow Channel at one end and the Rous Channel at the other end.

Either way, a washing machine is the result - waves coming from all directions at once, a very confused sea, as the old-timers would say.

It can change in minutes from quite smooth to really ugly, and vice-versa.

And quite a long run thru it as well - from the northern end, it would have to be what? Maybe 3km or so of that washing machine to go thru before you get to the Bar on the way out, or to the entrance to the Rous or Rainbow channels on the way back in?

It's one good reason why we nearly always come back in thru the Amity end of the bar, via a channel somewhere up that southern end, be it in near the beach, or out around the Rufus King wreck, because this minimises or even eliminates that long run thru the washing machine after a long day's fishing offshore. Especially as we mostly go back home to Cleveland ramp via the Rainbow.

Cheers

ML

Yep thats the way I read it as well Moonlighter it can/is a nasty section of Moreton Bay that you need to treat with caution. I've been through there for no worries, than I've been through there and it has been like being in a huge washing machine. Worse than being in the middle of the paddock in a northerly.

TimD
26-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Im pretty sure rosco calls the shingles "Air Time"

cheers tim :)

wave dancer
27-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Hey Tim, last time Rosco and i crossed the bar together we had both cats side by side with nothing but fresh air under the props. Would have made a great pic. Two completely different size cats doing exactly what they were made to do and that is handle the rough water. Roscos cat would have been landing alot softer than mine and alot smoother due to the size difference but both boats performed really well and very safe. I know Roscos two deckies had a smile on there face from ear to ear.

Cheers Mick.

rosco1974
27-06-2012, 08:40 AM
yep tim you nailed it air time alright..looking like another weekend of shit swell offshore...might have to go for a ting fish in the bay

good job on the boat scalem think that will hold alot better...maybe tim should go on diet as it was prob him who had loosen it and old mate got set up.lol

bundylundy
27-06-2012, 10:20 PM
There is an area simular inside the 4 mile bar crossing at Sandy Cape on the top of Fraser. Can be smooth offshore but rough as guts inside the bar. Scalem did you check the drivers chair base while you were repairing the passenger one. If the passenger one was dodgy it is a fair chance the drivers side will be the same.

Jeff.

Scalem
27-06-2012, 10:43 PM
There is an area simular inside the 4 mile bar crossing at Sandy Cape on the top of Fraser. Can be smooth offshore but rough as guts inside the bar. Scalem did you check the drivers chair base while you were repairing the passenger one. If the passenger one was dodgy it is a fair chance the drivers side will be the same.

Jeff.

Hi Jeff, you are spot on, and yes, I did both of them. The photos are actually one of the passenger side ( without the chair mounted) and the photo with the chair mounted is the drivers side.

The drivers side was similar, but why is it that out of all 12 screws to remove I spent over an hour trying to get the last one out? This happens to me all the time, always the last bolt or screw that gives me grief! It had been driven in a little sideways by whoever did the install originally, and the philips head must have slipped a few times stripping the inside of the head so there was nothing for my screwdriver to bite into. I ended up laying my jigsaw across the head of the screw to cut a flat line for a blade screwdriver. Nothing else would fit because of the tight space of the pedestal base. Once I found how crude the original installation was done, I could not stand to have one chair waiting to go the same way, and the skippers chair is more important isn't it?;)

Scalem