PDA

View Full Version : Fishing up north equipment advice?

IRMC000
27-04-2012, 05:31 PM
We now have the motorhome so fishing up north is going to happen at some stage.
I have a 3.45 Makocraft tinny and 4HP motor - with maybe 400mm freeboard.
Is this to rediculous for words because of Crocs?
Advice needed.
Also concerns about tidal rips - would 10klms per hour pass muster?

If should leave the boat at home what are some rules for fishing landbased?
How far back off the water should you be etc, etc.

I don't want to end up out on the reef or in Croc poo somewhere?
Thank you

Bignate
27-04-2012, 05:38 PM
you wont have any problems with crocs, where exactly were you headed

IRMC000
27-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Anywhere from Gladstone to the top

Bignate
27-04-2012, 07:23 PM
im not to sure around gladston but i live in the whitsundays and one of the busiest boat ramps is in croc territory and i see them launching boat same size as yours to put out crab pots, the tide doesnt seem to run that fast in the river but i dont like ur chances scooting around outside of the river.
Proserpine dam is home of the largest bara in the southern hemisphere and there are plenty of other good land based fishing spots around here.
Abell point rock wall is really good as you can get mackrel, sweetlip, baracuta and there are plenty of trevally off there (GT, golden trevally).
Shute harbour jetty has the best land based GT fishing (check out a video on youtube: King of shute harbour)

and a fair few other spots.
if your ever up this way drop into airliebeach BCF as it is where i work and ill be happy to give you a few tips for this area.

IRMC000
27-04-2012, 08:00 PM
WOW thanks - I'll be doing that but I have no idea when

im not to sure around gladston but i live in the whitsundays and one of the busiest boat ramps is in croc territory and i see them launching boat same size as yours to put out crab pots, the tide doesnt seem to run that fast in the river but i dont like ur chances scooting around outside of the river.
Proserpine dam is home of the largest bara in the southern hemisphere and there are plenty of other good land based fishing spots around here.
Abell point rock wall is really good as you can get mackrel, sweetlip, baracuta and there are plenty of trevally off there (GT, golden trevally).
Shute harbour jetty has the best land based GT fishing (check out a video on youtube: King of shute harbour)

and a fair few other spots.
if your ever up this way drop into airliebeach BCF as it is where i work and ill be happy to give you a few tips for this area.