PDA

View Full Version : Not fishing but a blast of a day out on the jetskis

Mr__Bean
10-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Hi all,

Thought I would share our recent day out from Jacobs Well.

We live up near the Pine River on the north side of Brisbane and usually head out from Scarborough or take the trip up to the Sunshine Coast.

On Saturday my son Alan and I decidied to drop in at Jacobs well for a look around down that way. We have a 2 seat Seadoo RXP-255x and a 3 seat RXT-255. Our plan was have a look around the inlets and if conditions permitted then head out the front for some wave jumping.

After finally getting launched at Jacobs Well (wow the crowd) and finding a spot way up the road to park the trailer, we were off. Wow was it busy, boats going left right and centre and a bit of tidal chop to add to the fun.

We made our way around to the bar, never been out through there before so we were cautious. Some pretty big white water on the big run-out tide but we took our time and got out, but wait on where does this rough water end.......

We were way way out before we cleared the breakers, they were rolling in from a long way out and it wasn't what we had expected, but taking it carefully and being together we kept going and got out safely.

And how glad we were that we persisted, what a day. No wind to speak of, no chop to speak of, just magnificent big rolling swell to play on. We head south and had the place to ourselves, no swimmers or board riders to keep safe from just us and magnificent waves to play on. They were a good size in places with some easily getting to 3.5 metres.

We ran south across the waves at high speed, stopping every now and then for some jumping when good sets came though, we got some great air and had a few scary moments when we came off really big ones a bit fast only to find nothing behind them (4 metres in the air).

We kept going down to the Seaway Entrance keeping clear of the odd board rider and the odd jetskier, dropped in the Seaway for a beaching and quick walk around and then head back the way we had come.

Back on the trailer and home for a washdown mid afternoon.

Reason for putting this up, just to share what was a magnificent trip out the front of the northern Gold Coast remote beaches.

We will definately do it again but next time we will launch and go out from the Seaway Bar as it was a little hairy going back in at the Pin as we were right in the middle of the runout tide and it was very rough, better to play safe next time.

Recommend it to anyone on a low wind day, but I wouldn't do it alone due to the remoteness of the beaches.

Darren

stevel3
11-04-2012, 07:59 PM
thats a ride I do quite often, sometimes down to Surfers for a look as well.

The Woo
12-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Good ride!

I enjoyed a great ride myself on Friday. I picked up the Brisbane to Gladstone fleet as they made the turn at Redcliffe. A mate runs his yacht and I took the opportunity to get some video of the yachts from the ski.
I followed them over to Moreton, then right up the Spitfire channel until I eventually peeled off and went through the Caloundra bar and blasted hom to Scarborough via the Pumicestone Passage. 5hrs on the water.... and very enjoyable. I was the only vessel still chasing the yachts into open water as most spectator boats went home or went to Tangalooma. I think a few crews were suprised to see a little ski following them for so long. I didn't "annoy" any one yacht, but rather visited several for a short time.
The BIG Trimaran was the reason I went, I really wanted to see it in action. French built weapon..... In one gust of maybe 18 knots I recorded the tri at 30 knots! Amazing bit of kit. It was very nearly lifting two hulls clear of the water.

hungry6
16-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Haha, those trimaran are abit of a weapon on water. The looks on people face in powerboat is priceless when u silently slip past them without making a abit of noise.