PDA

View Full Version : My new(ish) Baysport 575

WalrusLike
23-03-2012, 12:45 PM
I have finally got a boat. It's a 3 month old, like new, Baysport575. I haven't used it yet but already I am smiling all the time.

I had a 23 ft yacht years ago but haven't owned a boat since. Been out on others regularly over that time.

I really like the layout and setup of these boats. So far I have 2 problems that are fixable....

On the road in the rain the front hatch leaks. It has no seals so that's fixable. Also the camping cover clears leak at joins and zips. Again fixable. So water ingress is one thing to remedy.

The other is that because of the leaks and constant rain, the under floor is growing mushrooms that have put out a rust coloured spore dust.

I am attacking that with clove oil ( thanks to this forum for that tip).

No doubt i will post questions as they arise to gain from your collective knowledge. Also I will keep posting my experiences in the hope it's of some use to others looking at the Baysport boats.

Chas & Clarry
23-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Congrats mate!! I think that photos are in order surely....let us see her

You must be itching to get out on the water, Hope you have a great time.

Tim

AnthonyL
23-03-2012, 08:53 PM
Congrats .. I have a Baysport 620 and am very happy with it. What motor have you got?

WalrusLike
23-03-2012, 09:11 PM
Thanks for that. I will put a pic or two here.

One thing I have found is that the V berth glassed board is glassed on top and inside the edges of the storage openings but the underside is just bare marine ply. Same thing in few other places.

I don't mind this because I know the boat is built to a price (that's why I can afford it... just). I figure that the hull is sound and the layout good and the general fittings are good quality so I can put finishing touches on myself.

I am thinking of painting the underside of the ply with something... Don't know what yet. But maybe it's better left to breathe.

Anyway... Pics:

WalrusLike
23-03-2012, 09:19 PM
Ah.... Cross post...

Thanks Anthony. I have the 2 stroke Yamaha 115. I think it might be a teeny bit underpowered but am just happy to have one.. The 620 is a lovely boat.

fisho8
23-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Well done mate now get out there and get into it 575 is a good size.

thelump
23-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Ah.... Cross post...

Thanks Anthony. I have the 2 stroke Yamaha 115. I think it might be a teeny bit underpowered but am just happy to have one.. The 620 is a lovely boat.

That motor will push it easy mate. Nice looking rig

WalrusLike
24-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Filled the boot with loot from BCF and Whitworths. Rope, fenders, beacon to beacon, other bits and pieces. Great fun.

Pulled the centre flooring up and cleaned off the fungi. Took a lot of elbow grease. I am very impressed with the carpet.... It's tough.

The board is lightly painted underneath unlike elsewhere which is bare under. I do need to seal all that properly soonish.

Turns out there is no mount in the anchor locker for tying on the anchor rope. Something else to be done.

Still happy though... The boats are low priced and these are easily fixable things.

Put it in tommorow... Can't wait.

Lancair
25-03-2012, 07:39 AM
Turns out there is no mount in the anchor locker for tying on the anchor rope. Something else to be done.

My new Tournament had a thin metal ring in the anchor locker to tie on to but it was so weak looking, I reckon I couldve broken it by pulling on the rope. I had a plate and heavy gauge metal loop made and used the bolts from the bow eye to secure it inside the anchor locker. When I mentioned the weak attachment ring to the manufacturer, they said that was a safety feature ? So the eye would give way and not pull the boat under should you get the anchor snagged etc ? ? Personally I'd prefer to know it wont let go under any circumstances.

WalrusLike
25-03-2012, 08:09 AM
Yeah me too...., A deckie makes a bad anchor tie off.... I would like a chance of the boat still holding.

The safety of a inadvertent anchor drop while on plane is a worry but I reckon if that happens the boat will broach or nearly broach with even low strength ring. But the anchor will be in the locker while on the plane.

Obviously we try and avoid any of those events. 😄

WalrusLike
27-03-2012, 09:13 PM
Guys with Baysport boats... Did you do anything to seal your hatch?

I picked mine up on a rainy day and the water poured in through the hatch because there is no seal on it. I am thinking using a rubber D shaped sealing strip against the hatch lid in line with where it meets the hull. Any better ideas?

WalrusLike
27-03-2012, 09:16 PM
Oh and also.... Do you guys tow with clears on? Is it too much pressure on the above windscreen clear?

Do the sides flap about much?

AnthonyL
27-03-2012, 09:48 PM
When I tow I leave the clears on but roll up the front clear.

AnthonyL
27-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Guys with Baysport boats... Did you do anything to seal your hatch?

I picked mine up on a rainy day and the water poured in through the hatch because there is no seal on it. I am thinking using a rubber D shaped sealing strip against the hatch lid in line with where it meets the hull. Any better ideas?

Mine doesnt leak, re your battery they should have checked your battery when you bought it and had it running for you.

AnthonyL
27-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Ah.... Cross post...

That motor will be fine, dont worry.

What side of town are you on?

Argle
28-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Oh and also.... Do you guys tow with clears on? Is it too much pressure on the above windscreen clear?

Do the sides flap about much?

I would not be towing with the front clears on. Also would not be leaving the bimini up either if possible fold it down into the cockpit of the boat. It amazes me sometimes to see people flying down the highway at 100km/h with the bimini up - they are not designed to cope with those sorts of speeds imo. Take the time to put it up at the ramp - this time will allow the wheel bearings to cool a bit too.

Enjoy the new boat
Cheers

WalrusLike
28-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Yeah I am a bit confused about that.

The day I picked it up was pouring rain and the dealer said it would be fine and better to have all the camping clears on so the boat stayed dry.

It seemed to go ok at speeds up to 90 km/hr but I was worried about them and also the extra windage.

Everything got soaked anyway.

I thought it might be ok to tow with just the full length Bimini. No front side or back clears on. I figured the Bimini is nearly horizontal so should be ok??? Still unsure.

Tangles
28-03-2012, 05:50 PM
I would not be towing with the front clears on. Also would not be leaving the bimini up either if possible fold it down into the cockpit of the boat. It amazes me sometimes to see people flying down the highway at 100km/h with the bimini up - they are not designed to cope with those sorts of speeds imo. Take the time to put it up at the ramp - this time will allow the wheel bearings to cool a bit too.

Enjoy the new boat
Cheers

Good advice but I also think this depends on how far your travelling and the type of bimini you have, canbe a lot easier and less stressful to do at home than at the ramp. New boat, getting used to it, do it at home to start with in your own time,

I take the whole bimini and clears off to store in the garage and put it back on in one go, cant be bothered to zip clears on and off all the time, but i live close to the ramp and the front clears are rolled up, if i was travelling a fair way then I would, and if it was a really decent haul like Brisbane to Agnes a boat cover would be ideal,

WalrusLike
02-04-2012, 11:46 AM
Found that dropping front and extended biminis works best for towing.

Finally got boat in water. Fantastic.

The ute managed fine for towing and launch and retrieval. The outboard motor started easily when battery is not half flat.

Drove on for one recovery and winched for the second because I wanted to put new spectra cable in under pressure.

Boat motor still being run in so don't know how it goes when full throttle range is usable. Feels a little underpowered at the moment. Maybe that will change in a few hours more motoring when it's all available.

Boat is very stable at rest. Anchoring works well from front hatch. Wife was feeling secure and comfy there.

Seats are very comfy to drive in. And boat is roomy for its size.

Trailer rollers seem well set up for self centre ing but you have to go deep in over most of the wheel.

Boat seems good to drive... Cabin thumping a bit on lumpy stuff and hull bangs on falls but the video of the construction methods reassures me that all is fine with that. Tracking seems stable and low speed manoeuvres seem same as any other boat.

In other words reversing seemed unaffected by the tunnel hull. That may be just my inexperience though...
Perhaps others would find issue with it but it seemed fin

WalrusLike
02-04-2012, 11:48 AM
fine to me. (oops pressed send on iPhone again)

All up we are delighted.

I am getting dual batteries fitted this week. I don't like relying on the starter battery only.

Still_Dreamin
02-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Sounds great Walruslike. Picking my Tournament 1750 Wednesday or Thursday. Just as long as it is in time for Easter. I only went with one battery as well and starting to think should have gone dual

Shawn 66
03-04-2012, 02:37 AM
fine to me. (oops pressed send on iPhone again)

All up we are delighted.

I am getting dual batteries fitted this week. I don't like relying on the starter battery only.
And that is all that matters.
Shawn

WalrusLike
03-04-2012, 06:09 AM
..... I only went with one battery as well and starting to think should have gone dual

Dunno mate... After reading more threads about duals I am thinking maybe we didn't need to rush into dual.

Everything is low drain these days with LEDs etc so a single battery is fine for most. The extra battery weighs half a person at least. So although I still lean towards dual, I don't think you need rush the decision.

Search 'dual battery setup' and you will find food for thought.

In any case you will love having a boat... Especially a sweet looking one like a Tournament. I hope you have a 'dream' run. 😄

WalrusLike
20-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Just an update in case it's helpful to others in future.

I fold down the two biminis for towing. I have been resting the rear one on the motor with a towel bungy strapped on to protect the motor but my wife said tonight: have you tried folding it forward?

Head slap! When you do, it crosses nicely over the rear folded forward one and it all sits happily below windscreen level.

No longer worried about scratching or wearing on the motor cowling. Idiot! Wish I had thought of it.

Also note to self: Yes those damp rid things are great for drying and keeping mould out. But don't rest them on the cabin bunks!

If you are stupid enough to lumber round in there and not notice it, then you might tip it over and the slimy chemical water in the bottom of the container goes everywhere. Oops. All slimy and sticky now.

Oh well.... all part of the fun.

WalrusLike
10-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Another question popped up the other day..... What do you guys do to protect your tilt rams?

My tilt started squealing the other day, I think because I had used it two days in a row without getting it out of the water and salt crystals had built up on the ram. That's my guess anyway. It stopped and I have cleaned it all since but I was wondering if I should be oiling them or something?

Moonlighter
10-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Dob of grease right on the end, and a spray of inbox after its all been washed down with fresh water. That usually oes th trick.

Also, get yourself a grease gun and load it up with good quality marine grease. Every 6 months find every grease nipple on the engine and give em a shot at the same time you splot a shot on the trim tab ram end, especially make sure you do the nipples on the engine pivot tube.

And then check the o ring inside the nut on the port side end of the tilt tube where the steering rod comes out. A little shot of inbox in there and reassemble. Critical to make sure salt water can't get into that titl tube.

Cheers

ML

WalrusLike
10-08-2012, 10:52 PM
Thanks ML... Helpful as ever. Love your work. :)

WalrusLike
10-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Btw is the Starbrite marine grease they sell at Bias ok?

Moonlighter
11-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Don't know about that grease. Most people seem to use the Castrol boating grease (blue colour) I tend to use the Molytec blue. Both seem good. I use it on the trailer coupling Grease nipples too.

BTW has it got cable or hydraulic steering? My comment above re o ring was more directed at cable steering, although if the hyd goes thru the tilt tube it also applies there too. I learnt the hard way, the O ring disintegrated and because i didnt know to check it at least annually, salt water got into the tube and cable, result : seized steering cable on my last boat. So then had to learn the had way how to fix that!

One other suggestion, while inox is fine on outside of engine and trim rams, tabs etc, don't use it under cowl. Seems that it can adversely affect rubber and some plastic components such as spark plug boots. Recently was talking to my mechanic, Jon Eadie and he recommended giving the engine under the cowl a spray with lanolin spray, so that's what I did, a good overall spray with Ozspray industry grade lanolin. Keeps the water off, protects any non stainless bits from rust. But downside is that it attracts the Kiwis.....::)

This whole boating caper is always a learning experience, and you ask good sensible questions, which makes it easier to offer assistance. We are all still learning!

Cheers

ML

Fed
11-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Another question popped up the other day..... What do you guys do to protect your tilt rams?
Retract them.

My tilt started squealing the other day
Check your oil level.

If you're going to do stuff on your motor yourself I can't stress the value of buying a genuine manual enough Wal.

WalrusLike
11-08-2012, 10:44 AM
..... downside is that it attracts the Kiwis.....::)

Yeah that's a bad thing! :)

The joke thread reckons the price of Lamb there now is $50 an hour!

The steering is hydraulic. I trickled fluid into it while turning lock to lock but it still seems a bit lumpy? Maybe it's the prop hitting rocks etc. nah just kidding its not as smooth as I suspect it should be. Not bad just not perfect.

Retract them.... Check your oil level.
..... can't stress the value of buying a genuine manual enough Wal.

Good advice Fed, thanks. I already always leave motor down when at home. I havent checked the oil level... Will do so.

I hadnt thought to seek the steering and tilt manuals, thanks. If I can't find a online version of them I will look into getting them.

Thanks fellas.

Swanie1975
11-08-2012, 12:40 PM
hey walrus what steering system have you got? mines hydrive and i find it a bit lumpy too, it sort of jumps now and then while turning as if its slipping a little if that makes sense? i was wondering about bleeding it

cheers ryan

WalrusLike
11-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Mine is a SeaStar. I read elsewhere that after bleeding the hydraulics folks have been surprised by the improved smoothness.

I think mine has air in it but my first attempt at bleeding didn't make any difference.