PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank leaking

outwide1
27-06-2011, 12:04 PM
I beleive the aluminiun tank in my cruisecraft maybe leaking.The first signs was a fuel smell in the cabin and then by placing my finger in the lower bung hole at the rear i could smell fuel on it.Once i lifted the floor there doesnt seem to be any fuel stain etc.The smell does go away after a while and only seems to be a problem when full.Has anyone else ever had this problem with there cruisecraft?And can someone suggest a tank builder that can test the tank on the southside.
Cheers Mick

tropicrows
27-06-2011, 12:36 PM
I would be ringing Cruisecraft first, i'm sure they would like to know if one of their tanks has started leaking.

outwide1
27-06-2011, 12:42 PM
I rang them and they have suggested checking a couple of other things.
There fuel tank welder is on the northside and i need someone closer.
mick.

four_button_arnie
27-06-2011, 12:45 PM
mmmm maybe check your filler lines, breathers, maybe one of the pipe clamp thingys may have come loose. My old boat, due to constant exposure to fuel the breather line actually shrunk pulling the line off the outlet from the tank, and this was fuel approved breather line as well. I then procedued to fill my hull with 120L of premium fuel, resulting in having to drain the tank/hull wash it out air it out and then get a shipwright to muck around with it. Pain in the ass.

Id be VERY careful if there are fumes in your hull the slightest spark could turn your boat into a bomb. On a recent thread some one suggested to change the breather lines which eliminated the fuel smell.

Josh

lethal098
27-06-2011, 01:11 PM
If you can get the tank out easy enough take it to a radiator shop like Cairncross, they cleaned and pressure tested mine for me last year.
But as suggested check your filler and breather lines first.
Cheers Lee

outwide1
27-06-2011, 01:17 PM
I have checked the filler and breather lines,the cruisecraft have aluminuim pipes leading from the tank to the outside of the hull but are joined to the tank,filler and breather by hose and clamps.Have checked but will check again,im going to go throught the lot but still want to test the tank.Some where near logan/springwood area would be good.

lethal098
27-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Outwide, i know cairncross radiators have a place at Acacia ridge, alternatively do a search on yellowpages, I am sure any radiator shop can do it for you.

Cheers Lee

tropicrows
27-06-2011, 03:49 PM
How do you propose to test the tank.

If you have checked everything else first and are sure it the tank, then I would remove it from the boat and hydrostatically test it to 1 meter of head pressure. Block of all pipes except two one for filling and the other to set up a 1 meter vertical length of tubing. Don’t just turn on the mains water and walk away as mains pressure can be up to 100 PSI. Make sure all the air is expelled from the tank, and when the tank is full and water is just trickling out of the 1 meter vertical length of tubing you have your head pressure and should be able to see any leaks.

Water molecules are much smaller than petrol ones so if you have a small crack the water will be clearly seen, also I would put some food colouring in with the water.

PADDLES
28-06-2011, 08:02 AM
Hi OW, i'm assuming it was built by Tucker's up at Caboolture, I'd be giving them a buzz and asking their recommendations to test it. a tiny bit of pressure on a large surface area such as the walls of a tank ends up equalling a shedload of force and you wouldn't want to rupture it.

outwide1
28-06-2011, 12:06 PM
It was removed last night and tested hydrostatically by someone who specialize in this department.It ended up being the fuel sender of all things.So it should be back in by wednesday and ready for sunday.Going to replace all the hoses etc while we have it out.
Cheers for everyones input.
mick

Tinlegs
28-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Just had to replace the sender unit on my tank for the same reasons. If this is your problem, note where the screw holes are on the sender unit, as mine would only be reinstalled with a particular orientation, which is a proper mongrel when you get it wrong with all the fresh gasket goop all over everything...