PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy teflon for trailer???

Dean1
16-03-2011, 05:32 AM
My mate is chasing some teflon for his cat trailer to replace the skids on it. Does anyone here know the best place to buy it?

Any help is appreciated thanks,

Dean.

bbss
16-03-2011, 06:27 AM
sunquest industries main drive kawana.

finga
16-03-2011, 06:55 AM
Active Fabrications at Beenleigh if southside

oldboot
16-03-2011, 09:05 AM
I'd be interested if anybody knows someone stocking blue skid material in pieces longer than 1500mm.

I want to replace the bunks on the new trailer and they need to be at least 2 meters long.

cheers

finga
16-03-2011, 09:10 AM
What's a bunk?
For my boats I have used 2 bits to get a longer length.
2 bits seems to work better as there are not many boats with a straight surface 2m long. 2 or 3 bits seems to conform to the shape of a boat hull better I've found unless you want to 'scribe' long lengths of Teflon.

oldboot
16-03-2011, 11:09 AM
my prevous trailer had 6 seperate pieces for the bunks....but I was not over happy about that.

the rear portion of my current boat is pretty straight......maybe not the whole 2 meters.....but I need the length for the run on and to span the cross members

It origianly had that plastic bunk material..but it is too flexible over the span and does not support the boat over a wide enough area.......I realy want to make sure I am picking and supporting several ribs.

I'd more or less resigned myself to putting a join in.....I supose I'll just have to machine the ends and screw em down well.

cheers

finga
16-03-2011, 01:54 PM
What's a bunk?

griz066
16-03-2011, 01:56 PM
my prevous trailer had 6 seperate pieces for the bunks....but I was not over happy about that.

the rear portion of my current boat is pretty straight......maybe not the whole 2 meters.....but I need the length for the run on and to span the cross members

It origianly had that plastic bunk material..but it is too flexible over the span and does not support the boat over a wide enough area.......I realy want to make sure I am picking and supporting several ribs.

I'd more or less resigned myself to putting a join in.....I supose I'll just have to machine the ends and screw em down well.

cheers

All the weight should be on the keel, all other support is only to steady the boat at rest only ie no weight what so ever. If you are getting flex it may be that you have too much weight on the support. My 2 bobs worth

charleville
16-03-2011, 02:15 PM
What's a bunk?

I know what it means to debunk something. Perhaps it is the opposite of that.

;D ;D ;D

gazza2006au
16-03-2011, 02:17 PM
u can get it from ebay

mitchdemeanor
16-03-2011, 02:38 PM
All the weight should be on the keel, all other support is only to steady the boat at rest only ie no weight what so ever. If you are getting flex it may be that you have too much weight on the support. My 2 bobs worth

I thought it was 80% weight on the keel and 20% on the skids or rollers?

finga
16-03-2011, 02:45 PM

I thought it was 80% weight on the keel and 20% on the skids or rollers?
All the weight should be on the keel and the sides are there to take the wobble out.
You should have a blond one of clearance between the skids and hull if you have a longitudinal skid/keel roller type trailer otherwise it can be quite hard to get the boat off the trailer. Sometimes you won't get the boat off until a brass washer pops out your behind from pushing so hard or you have to float the boat off.

oldboot
16-03-2011, 02:59 PM

Sorry I know that is an often sprouted idea...... that the bunks should support no weight.....but I do not agree with it.

The plastic bunk material is very floopy stuff..it is good when the boat has a constantly changing hull angle...but you can not get good even support on a straight bottomed hull.

If you are going to support a significant amount on the bunks, you have to spread it over a decent area of the hull.

The prevous trailer had a 1/2 tonne boat supported on 3 rollers and very little weight on the bunks......result: significant dents in the keel

I prefeer to have the boat supported both on the keel and by the bunks over a significant area of the hull......prefereably covering several rib sections.

If you look at many modern trailers particular those for fibreglass boats..there are no keel rollers at all.

If the boat is supported on the keel then tied down by the guwals with out support of the bunks or rollers, the hull and the ribs are stressed in a manner that the boat is not designed for an in a way that can not be other than bad for the hull.

I have set up a couple of trailers where the bunks just touch when the boat is fully on.....when the boat is tied down the boat is in firm contact with the bunks.

both these boats launch and retreeve very smoothly and sit very stable on the trailer

look at many slip cradles, boat transport trucks, and dry storages.....many have no keel support and rely on bunks alone

Bunks are the flat lumps of wood that the boat rests upon.

cheers

Charlie
16-03-2011, 05:58 PM
I'd be interested if anybody knows someone stocking blue skid material in pieces longer than 1500mm.

I want to replace the bunks on the new trailer and they need to be at least 2 meters long.

cheers

A polycraft boats dealer should be able to help, mine are a about three meters long so its available.

finga
16-03-2011, 06:23 PM
The prevous trailer had a 1/2 tonne boat supported on 3 rollers and very little weight on the bunks......result: significant dents in the keel

Wouldn't it have been a better idea to put more keel rollers under the keel?

I prefeer to have the boat supported both on the keel and by the bunks over a significant area of the hull......prefereably covering several rib sections.

If you look at many modern trailers particular those for fibreglass boats..there are no keel rollers at all.
That's because a lot of modern fiberglass hulls do not have a definite keel....variable dead rise comes to mind

If the boat is supported on the keel then tied down by the guwals with out support of the bunks or rollers, the hull and the ribs are stressed in a manner that the boat is not designed for an in a way that can not be other than bad for the hull.
cheers
There's more stress on the sides of the hull when people use the ratchet tie downs then a hull flexing down a blond micky hair to meet the 'bunks'. I call them skids.

Amasingly I could not find one manual on how to set up a trailer from Australian manufacturers. Why is this so if it's so important?
But I found 1 from the UK. Read page 6 of the manual or if you don't want to I'll do a small quote
"SETTING UP THE TRAILER FOR YOUR BOAT
With a few exceptions most trailers are designed to take the
deadweight of the boat on its keel, and the side supports are merely
preventing the boat tilting sideways"
http://www.rmtrailers.co.uk/include/manual.pdf

It has been a discussed here on numerous times so a search for setting up a boat trailer should find lots of information.

Noelm
17-03-2011, 08:59 AM
almost any plastics place will be able to supply "teflon" (it is NOT teflon) in long lengths, but it is not cheap, if you go that way, make sure you explain to the shop what you want the plastic for and they can supply the correct material, the blue and red stuff you get from boat shops (with the "slot" for screws/rivets) comes from over seas in the 1.5M cut lengths, I doubt they could order in any other size, unless it was a big volume order. The weight of the boat should indeed be taken by the centre rollers/skids/whatever, the side "bunks" are to stop the boat tipping over, thats all, and the tension put on a hull by a wide ratchet tie down is extreme, make no mistake about that!

Jarrah Jack
17-03-2011, 09:17 AM
Oldboot There is a place down the road here that machines all sorts of stuff from that blue plastic teflon material. They also do boat skids and sell them on ebay. If you found them through ebay, the're in Hastings, they will be able to get the right size to you.http://cgi.ebay.com.au/6-Parallel-Boat-Trailer-Roller-BRAND-NEW-/130433847190?pt=AU_Boat_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e5e768f96

Thats them give Josh a ring he's a young bloke and very helpful.

oldboot
17-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Like many things.......it is common for "rules" of how to, to be sprouted and accepted as fact when there is no such necessity.

There are so many variations on how boats and trailers are built and the expectations on how they should sit together.

I agree that a conventional aluminium hull boat that most of us with be familiar with should have a large portion even a majority of its weight supported by the keel.....but to quote some hard and fast proportion I believe is unreasonable.

There are so many ways to set up a boat on a trailer, and quite a lot of it comes down to personal preference.

My preference is to have the rollers and the runners set up such that, as the boat is pulled up on the trailer the hull contacts the runners/bunks over the full length....as the boat comes off the trailer the runner clearance increases.

as for putting on more rollers..oh hell yeh, the new trailer has the boat sitting evenly on 5 rollers and in a bow chock, and two long bunks.

BTW..... the runners are the things screwed to the surface of the bunks to stop skuffing & damage.

Takes some time and have a look at how a lot of boats sit and travel on their trailers........soo many of them don't sit straight and move arround a hell of a lot on the trailer..........If ya just going 20 minutes to the local boat ramp on smooth roads.......probaly not a problem.

If the boat sits properly on its rollers and when tied down sits firmly on its bunks, it wont be moving much at all.

cheers

flotsom
22-03-2011, 08:51 AM
http://www.yellowpages.com.au/search/listings?clue=plastic+engineering&locationClue=Brendale+QLD&x=47&y=11

Plastic Engineering at Brendale - they do it all, well I have used them in the past and managed to get what I need, including templates required to cover a larger hole in the dash when you are fitting new radios, electronics etc. All laser cut to your drawing for the smaller stuff.