PDA

View Full Version : wetties

jake the snake
11-01-2011, 05:48 PM
gday i just got a new omer 3mm wet suit and before i dive next was trying to find out how much weight to use i weigh 80kg . any one that weighs the same with same thickness suit that could help would be great thanks.... ;)

D river
11-01-2011, 07:36 PM
If its a open cell (needs soap to get on) you'll need 6 - 8 weights. if its not open cell 2 will do

nigelr
12-01-2011, 05:54 AM
Just make sure you are still positive bouyant when fully kitted up.............

Mick
15-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Neutral boyancy or just under is what your aiming for. So when you take in one full breath you are either just floating or just submerging.
If you find your fins keep rising above your head whilst diving around for fish you might need to add weight and if you find you're using the bottom as a springboard to get back to the surface you probably have to much weight on.

Badone
15-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Mick, what you say can be true if you are diving shallow ie <15m so that you don't spook the fish by kicking too hard to leave the surface. If you are diving below 15m or are new to the sport then you should have neutral buoyancy at about 10m and you should definitely float on the surface. It is not a good practice to be neutral or negative on the surface because if you black out then you will sink and that will be that. Also after you have been in the water for a while you become less buoyant as the suit compresses. Something to be aware of. I weigh 72kgs and wear 2.5 kgs with my 3mm open cell suit so that I am neutral at 10m. Weighing yourself heavy is not safe imo.

jake the snake
16-01-2011, 07:23 PM
thanks for the help fellas

myusernam
07-06-2011, 08:08 AM
um, if you black out under water does it really matter if you float to the surface or not? I'd say you would still be rooted

Chris_2184
07-06-2011, 09:39 AM
um, if you black out under water does it really matter if you float to the surface or not? I'd say you would still be rooted

that's not the right attitude to have mate, spearfishing/freediving can be dangerous if not taken seriously and done so safely. IMO you need to be buoyant <10m as this is where most SWB occur, so floating to the surface will make it easier for your dive buddies to notice you and come to your rescue.

I wear a 3mm wettie and 3 x 3lb weights (total 4.5kgs) and I'm 84kgs, I find as long as you have the correct entry technique from the surface you won't splash or spook fish as you go down.

myusernam
07-06-2011, 11:18 AM
I spearfish and have done for ages, But I don't know about the positive bouyancy thing. Do you mean with a full breath? If you pass out and no one sees you then you're in a lot of trouble, gently floating to the surface or not. I reckon the best attitude is to not pass out.

nidrac
07-06-2011, 07:55 PM
A good way to tell when your neutral at 10m is to stop kicking on the surface of the water so your upright (standing) take a full breath the waterline should sit about your shoulders then exhale and the water should sit level with your mask. (you will sink bellow the surface but you should rise up to the correct hight once you stop bobing up and down) the majority of the time when you pass out you will regain consiousness when reaching the surface if you position the majority of your weight on your back you should surface face up and if weighed correctly your head should be above the water. however this is not garentee'd as mentioned above the besst attitude is to dive well within your limits and always dive with someone that can help straight away not diving 50m away.

Nidrac

boney-leg
08-06-2011, 05:38 PM

Nigel put this up awhile ago and this is very informative - 23:30min would suggest it does matter as long as you're with a mate!!

http://www.sydneyfreedivers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53:freediving-safety-sambas-and-blackouts&catid=16:frontpage

Si
10-06-2011, 09:17 AM
passing out generally you have limited control over. i think it would be safe practice to remain + buoyant without air in your lungs, i.e on exhale.
I spearfish and have done for ages, But I don't know about the positive bouyancy thing. Do you mean with a full breath? If you pass out and no one sees you then you're in a lot of trouble, gently floating to the surface or not. I reckon the best attitude is to not pass out.