PDA

View Full Version : Xmas Prawns?

marto78
20-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Where does everyone get there prawns for christmas? I've got a contact for some top quality cooked prawns at the right price through my partner that gets them sent down from Bundy overnight on the train but the only problem is we never know when it will happen until an hr or so before the train is due to leave. And I dont think it will happen again before chrissie, so I'm seeing if anyone out there in the land of Ausfish has any hot tips on where to buy a kilo or two prawns for saturday.
Cheers
Marto

wags on the water
20-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Secret spot up north....way up north....

fez
20-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Where abouts are you Marto78?

Northside -
Aussie Seafood House (Gympie Rd Lawnton)
Morgans - Scarborough

Southside -
Gold Coast trawler base (near Seaworld)

Gives you a start, once everyone knows where you are then the suggestions ill come thick and fast.

fez

trueblue
20-12-2010, 09:46 PM
northside strathpine

accross the road from ....:-X .... (Paisley drive intersection)

Aunty Jack
20-12-2010, 10:34 PM
I hear good things and have tasted these,
But have never brought any and that's from the prawn farm at Beenliegh.
Mined you they were free and there was lots of free cold beer flowing.
I think they were good, yep yep they were!!

marto78
21-12-2010, 05:45 AM
LOL I knew everyone would be tight lipped about their prawn suppliers :P I'm on the north side, Kedron to be exact if anyone wants to deliver??? ;D We used to get them at $26/kg from the Princess Charlotte Seafood van that used to hang out in the Farmers Joes carpark, but seeing as there is nowhere for them to park now it makes it a bit difficult to find them.
Heres another question what does everyone pay for them?

marto78
21-12-2010, 05:51 AM
I hear good things and have tasted these,
But have never brought any and that's from the prawn farm at Beenliegh.
Mined you they were free and there was lots of free cold beer flowing.
I think they were good, yep yep they were!!

Am not a big fan of farmed prawns I bought some from woolies the other wk and they were pretty tasteless.

Whitto
21-12-2010, 06:10 AM
Bought my Prawns straight off the Trawler........Green @ $25/kg on the Northside......Bargain.

BGG
21-12-2010, 06:40 AM
One of the big supermarkets has snap frozen green bananas for $14 a KG. Cook them yourself. They always turn out better IMO.

theangryangler
21-12-2010, 08:07 AM
All the prawn trawlers at shorncliffe are currently selling green and cooked bay and kings freshly caught from tents at their wharves nice prawns and good prices.... sinbad street shorncliffe, near the boat ramp and fishers coop.
steer clear of morgans unless you are keen to part with a lot of dosh as they are not cheap at all..

bugman
21-12-2010, 06:53 PM
My shop,

$21.90kg snap frozen large Nth Qld Tigers thawed for your convenience. We're selling them all over Xmas and they taste great. I'm not just saying that - they actually taste fantastic and are on the large side of large.

Brett

gr hilly
21-12-2010, 08:26 PM
i pay $32 a k but i must say they are so good i have got them from the same place for 5yrs now and bugs lobster crabs yum chrissy day i end up chiten like a pelican
happy Christmas all keep safe.
Cheers,Hilly

bondy99
22-12-2010, 08:55 AM
The prawns are not farmed in Beenleigh, they are from the Gold Coast Prawn Hatchery past the Sugar Mill towards near Rocky Point.::) Please get the facts straight.

Yeah, I also purchased and tasted these and they are very good.:)

You have to purchase direct from the producer and not from Woollies or the like. There is a big difference. The company sells directly to the public and has a lot sold to overseas also.:)

Nope, I'm not an employee of the company nor associated with it in any shape or form.

We all have likes and dislikes, I've also tasted so called wild caught prawns .i.e 3 spot king, and king prawns and they were not much chop.:(

If they were direct from the trawler i.e. caught the night before then it would be a different matter but once they have been in a shop, i.e. frozen, thawed, frozen, thawed then they turn to crap and the average John Smoith or Joe Citizen would not be the wiser...how do I know this you might ask...I used to be a master fisherman on a prawn trawlers working local and continental shelf.;D

Just my piece on this topic.

I wish all the people on this forum a Merry Christmas and all the best for 2011 :)

May 2011 be more rewarding fishing wise. 8-)

Cheers, Peter

bondy99
22-12-2010, 08:57 AM
G'day gr hilly,

Mate, you will have to sink a few pots and get some nice muddies.

Send me a pm with your details and I'll come around and have a drink or two with ya.

Merry Christmas and all the best for 2011.
Cheers, Peter

stonecold
23-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Just bought 4kg of the green banana prawns from said supermarket @$14kg....little mate behind the counter gave me half thawed for tonight and 2kg out of a frozen box for Saturday. I've cooked the 1st 2kg and I gotta say they are bloody fantastic:P ..time will tell when the critics arrive though

Spot82
23-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Straight from a friend who owns trawlers in Hervey Bay, IQF'd on the boat in 5kg boxes, $60 a box for large kings, always tasty, just defrost in the fridge with heaps of rock salt.... Also get some very nice bugs and squid off him!

Bring on the xmas feasting! Prawns, Bugs, Crays, Red Emperor and hopefully a muddy or two, gotta love an QLD xmas lunch!! Does it get any better?

gr hilly
23-12-2010, 05:46 PM
G'day gr hilly,

Mate, you will have to sink a few pots and get some nice muddies.

Send me a pm with your details and I'll come around and have a drink or two with ya.

Merry Christmas and all the best for 2011.
Cheers, Peter
Peter im still looking for that keg my girls are trying to con me into closing the shop for 4 days after Christmas BUT THE TRADE HAS BEEN DISMAL,i might miss out on the best day of the year i wont know if im closed,
have a good one Cheers,Glynn

whatscracken
23-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Trawlers at the Spit. Straight from the deep blue ocean the night before. Cooked on the way in. Can't get any better.

As for farmed prawns I am yet to have a good one.

tunaticer
23-12-2010, 07:53 PM
Bought 10kgs today off the trawlers at Cabbage Tree Creek. Very lucky to find any for sale that were not preordered. Most of these guys have also bought prawns from the gulf frozen and are selling them here off their boats because the weather and the catch rates have been shit lately.

The boat I had them oreordered to buy is not arriving until the morning and I needed them today for the xmas party at work.

sleepygreg
23-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Just got my 5kg box of large green head off kings - snap frozen on trawler this week. Lots of prawn based meals being prepared at our place over the next couple of weeks.

gr hilly
24-12-2010, 07:23 AM
i just got home from getting my seafood for tomorrow and i had to line up 40 mtrs to get in the shop never before has this happened and they are open tomorrow xmas day too from 6am to miday.

Cheers,Hilly