PDA

View Full Version : Borumba Dam info please

Barry Ehsman
15-10-2010, 10:55 AM
G'day Ausfisher's
Heading up to the dam on 30th for a week to try & catch my first Toga,,Any info at all on catching them the Bass & a feed of Redclaw would be very much appreciated.. Not sure how all this rain will effect things..

Cheers Baz

lethal098
15-10-2010, 01:27 PM
We were up there about a month ago and got 20 redclaw over a few hours, any where around the structure and you will get them, i use tinned catfood and rockmelon.

Toga, well this time of year is hard for them as it is there breeding season, as they are mouth breeders they tend to slow down on the feed. You will still pick up the occasional one. We got a nice one on a Jackall Vibe up the yabba arm.
Best of luck and persistence will pay off.

cheers Lee

Barry Ehsman
15-10-2010, 02:22 PM
We were up there about a month ago and got 20 redclaw over a few hours, any where around the structure and you will get them, i use tinned catfood and rockmelon.

Toga, well this time of year is hard for them as it is there breeding season, as they are mouth breeders they tend to slow down on the feed. You will still pick up the occasional one. We got a nice one on a Jackall Vibe up the yabba arm.
Best of luck and persistence will pay off.

cheers Lee

Thanks for that Lee i never thought about the mouth breeding bit

Chers Baz

drunkenduncan
15-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Hello Baz, plenty of water kicking around in there at the moment, havent, been up in a week or two but here's my advise , for what it is worth. We get most of our toga on fly,under the bottle brush trees , way up in the headwater, later on in the day. If your spinning for them, purple spinnerbaits or gold sub-surface during the middle of the day, Zara puppy or anything that walks like a cicada later on, for the surface bite. Some of my mates use the anthrax lures but ive never had much luck. If you can use a fly rod there are a few photos in the fly section of a suface thing we use which is a winner. Plenty of good info on the site here mate.. good luck, they are truely a magic fish.

Mike Delisser
15-10-2010, 06:03 PM
I was there for 5 days 2 weeks ago. Plenty of bass on blades & plastics but the inflow may slow them a little for a few weeks. Around the start of the timber was the pick of the spots. Spent 2 arvos chasing toga but no takers, like stated earlier they're normally tough at this time of year, after Xmas is much better.
Cheers

plastix4me
15-10-2010, 06:07 PM
Baz

I know bugger all about toga. But I was at Borumba in February and caught my first and only two.

First one was very early morning on a 65mm bubble popper (30cm+) in the back of a small bay.

Second one (53cm) was in the middle of the day caught on a small 2" clear brown Kokoda grub on a 1/32 jighead. I was throwing it tight against structure and just letting it 'waft' down. Also got another hit doing this.

Drunkenduncan mentioned the bottle brush. We were in a nice small bay that had a bottle brush off one edge and as we got closer (using the leccy) a large toga rolled and swirled straight under the tree. I then threw about 100 casts at and around that tree with no result ::)

Completely different time of year and conditions so this is probably useless info for you.... but oh well ;D

robersl
16-10-2010, 03:44 PM
barry the toga tend to go deep or up the back of small shady bays in the middle of the day if you get lillie pads do not be afraid to chuck a spinner up the back of them and let it sink in the gaps between the pads i got a 50cm toga in the middle of the day in sept doing this small purple spinners best early morn or late arvo

shane

Barry Ehsman
16-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the replies fellas will take all this info onboard,& Shane i have already got some of them purple spinnerbaits (hope they work) but if they don't, still beats working.

Cheers baz

Franco
16-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Barry send me a reminder pm after the 24th mate will be heading there next thursday for 3 days chasing toga and just trying to learn the dam a little.

NAGG
23-10-2010, 07:50 PM
yeh Baz ... as most have said - Try a surface walking lure in some of the quieter backwaters ........ just awesome

Chris

Barry Ehsman
23-10-2010, 08:07 PM
yeh Baz ... as most have said - Try a surface walking lure in some of the quieter backwaters ........ just awesome

Chris
Thanks Chris,, cant wait to try that (this time next week)

Baz

NAGG
23-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Thanks Chris,, cant wait to try that (this time next week)

Baz

This time last year I did quite well on stick baits like lucky craft sammys (60-88mm) - others were using popers in that 60cm range.

Who knows Baz .... I might even end up there next weekend :P

Chris

Barry Ehsman
24-10-2010, 05:40 PM
This time last year I did quite well on stick baits like lucky craft sammys (60-88mm) - others were using popers in that 60cm range.

Who knows Baz .... I might even end up there next weekend :P

Chris
Thanks again Chris & if you do turn up look out for a mandarin or (Orange) Ford Territory, look forward to it or any other Ausfisher turning up.

Baz

Bud-dy
26-10-2010, 09:03 PM
You may find that there are now GATES across the boatramp and they aren't opened until 6am then shut at 6pm !! A friend went out on the weekend and saw it for himself, I am gooing out tomorrow so will confirm for myself what the ***k is going on !!
Paul

NAGG
27-10-2010, 08:11 AM
You may find that there are now GATES across the boatramp and they aren't opened until 6am then shut at 6pm !! A friend went out on the weekend and saw it for himself, I am gooing out tomorrow so will confirm for myself what the ***k is going on !!
Paul

That's a bummer if it is true:'( ......... some of the best surface fishing at Borumba happens before sunrise & after sunset

Chris

Bad_Bazza
27-10-2010, 09:14 AM
Hi Baz,
Can I suggest trying a jerkbaitas well. I have had great success with these through the day (Jackall Squirrel D67 etc). Parrallel the casts along the edge of the weeds and give 5 to 10 seconds between twitches.
Hang on because when they hit they absolutely smash it!

Bad_Bazza

tossie
27-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Paul

Gates, I didn't see any gates:-? Just got back yesterday from a very enjoyable weekend at Borumba. Fishing was tough, managed to get 8 bass in 3 days on the water, no toga but that might be because i haven't got a clue about what i am doing;D I was on the water before 6am and off after 6pm and never had to ram any gates to do it::) Anyway now i am home i can concentrate my efforts on Awoonga. Itis terrible living 10 minutes from that boat ramp:P

Cheers Shaun

Bud-dy
28-10-2010, 08:50 PM
the gates were just what I heard about, BUT I have been out6 there yesterday and thats correct NO GATES just the signs saying open 6am to 6pm ! and they have blocked off half the top parking on the grass and put bumpers to park up again down in the bottom parking area !
We caught bass on 1/4oz blades out in the main basin near the weedbank then headed up the Kingham arm to catch a 2kg yella ( on a black jackall ) and a few small bass ( 25 to 28cm) on jackalls in the trees around the second corner.
Paul

Fitzy
31-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Saratoga will certainly take surface lures, but you will catch alot more subsurface & have a much improved hookup ratio.
Can get them on any type of lure you want really, cast, trolled or jigged.

Cheers,

fitz..

Mike Delisser
01-11-2010, 10:04 PM
When - if - the gates do go in they are supposed to placed well before the ramp, somewhere between the camping ground and the lookout at the top of the hill. Borumba Bob should have some idea what's going on as he and Dawn are the only people living within 5k of the ramp and I recon he'll be the one who has to open and shut any gates if they're installed, that's unless they're automatic and on a timer.

Bud-dy
02-11-2010, 08:53 PM
I haven't heard any more about the gates BUT after the fishing the place all day Saturday I WON'T be going back there during a weekend OR school holidays !! The parking restrictions now in place are absolutely terrible AND thats with people doing the right thing and parking in the now allocated bays ! All it would need is for one or two people to park at the end not in a parking bay and the place will come to a stand still !! even now when all the parking bays were full it was almost impossible for bigger boat/trailers to turn around up the dam wall end of the parking area !!
On the fishing front there were a lot of small ( 40 to 55 cm )TOGA caught ( particularly on bait ) I didn't get a bass hit for 8 hours of fishing up in the sticks anywhere !! I tried both arms ( the Kingham is clearer than the Yabba arm ) the only bass we could find where off the big weed bank in the middle of the dam some of the club members did get a few small bass trolling around in the main basin !!
Paul

Apollo
03-11-2010, 06:31 AM
Yeah Paul, the turn at the end of the carpark can be a bit tight, but generally if everyone does the right thing it is do able. I found the biggest issue was if a long trailer rig was parked in the bay near the bottom shelter, there wasn't much room to squeeze by.

Steve