PDA

View Full Version : Woohoo!! There's water in the dam

finga
24-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Woohoo. The recent rains have been a HUGE boost to the dam levels out here.
My local (Leslie) has had a 14% boost to 26% full and Coolmunda is chockers.
You bloody beauty ;D
I don't think I've ever seen Leslie more then about 20% full in the 18 years I've been out this way
Now...next question. Is it warm enough to get some shrimps ::)
Bigger question. Where did I leave 'Junior'??
It was in the shed last time I looked. I'm nearly sure of that :-?

http://www.sunwater.com.au/__data/waterstorage/water_store.htm

mylestom
24-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Finga,

Thats great news, fished the dam a few times when we had property at Canningvale. Its not before time you got a bit of rain in that area.

Enjoy.

Regards

Trev

Steve B
24-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Great stuff Scotty.

I was in Toowoomba from 1998 to 2006 and I cant remember Leslie ever being over 1/2 full!!!! It will be a great bonus for it...and for Coolamunda..I used to love fishing at both. I reckon the schrimp will booooom!!! they used to in the outback rivers when in flood. I asume it would down there too.

Cheers steve

Bear001
24-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Great news Finga....will be great coming into summer.

We've had brilliant rain down here to:-
Lake Keepit - from 24% to 72% & rising
Split Rock - from 2.2% to 8.5%
Pindari - was about 22% back in May when we camped there for a week - its now overflowing!!!!!

Keepit Skigardens (the river end @ back of the dam) back in Dec 09
It had dropped back to the treeline in the river -about 6ft deep all the way up the river till you head out into the open water (about a 15-20min run doing 35klm)

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu131/cindymeissner/100_2470Large-1.jpg

Now spot the tree-line in the background. THis was taken last month @ 62%. So we should now be up to the old concrete ramp. Will head out for a sticky on the weekend.
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu131/cindymeissner/100_4053Large.jpg

Gunna take the whole summer to work out the dam again.
Makes the little buggers hard to find now!!!!!::)

finga
25-09-2010, 07:27 AM
And it's still raining.
Bloody Murphy. Sometimes you just have to shake his hand.
I got some sand and gravel on Wednesday to mix some concrete to build the fence the cook wants and look at what it does...rain, rain, pour down rain.

Funny you should mention a boat ramp Cindy. I was just thinking last night that I might be able to finally use the boat ramp out here. Last time I looked it was about 300m to the water from the bottom of the ramp. (maybe a little closer 300m, but not much). I don't think a boat has ever been launched from either of the ramps.

I've got a great little spot on private property in town for the shrimp traps Steve. I think there might be too much flow in the creek to try it out anytime in the next week but when she slows down in they go (the traps that is) or I might put the outriggers on the tiny tinny and go for a trawl and pretend I'm after Marlin.

We had a huge down pour yesterday (don't know how much because the rain gauge is sitting on a shelf in the shed) but it should add a lot more to the dam level.

The cook and I are going for a drive out there today to have a gander seeing I can't mix concrete :D

I even went out to the shed this morning and guess what I found?? Bloody 'Junior'. The little fella hasn't moved a bit. (I suppose he couldn't with all the crap chucked on top of him :-[)

Gees I'm in a good mood at the moment....I can't wait for the shrimps to come on :)

finga
27-09-2010, 10:54 AM
It gets better. 36% today and the creek is still flowing a gusher. You little pi$$er :D

The cook and I went for a drive on Saturday to have a gander at Leslie.
The first picture is looking down the lower boat ramp towards the water. A bit of a drive to get to the water I reckon.
The second is a looky see down the higher boat ramp. It's sole purpose at the moment is for the local lads to do circle work in their utes.

I'm very curious to see what the picture is like now. I might go for a drive later if I get this concreting of the fence posts done. :P

I'm all excited now seeing there's more water to explore :D

I tried the shrimp traps at my secret shrimp spot but too much run in the water. Bugger, but you can't have everything can you?? :-?

bdowdy
28-09-2010, 02:18 PM
great stuff..glenlyon is round 71 and still rising...great newes for all

bugman
28-09-2010, 06:19 PM
I was out at Glen Lyon a bit over a week ago. We hunt on a property that borders the dam. I've been going there for 3 years and I've never seen it as high.
And it was still flowing in. Water was coming out of the ground everywhere.
Someone - who shall remain nameless Ian (finding_time)::) even managed to get bogged and required extraction from a Land rover.

Everywhere you went the ground was sodden.

Brett

sid_fishes
28-09-2010, 06:43 PM
bullshitt
was it a troll or a landcrab

rossco
29-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Hey great to hear.Going to Glenlyon from the 15th to the 17th of October let me know how the fishing is going if you all could please.

Cheers rossco

bdowdy
29-09-2010, 02:40 PM
might see you there rossco...hi brett i hunt down that way myself,very very wet and easy to get bogged

rossco
29-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Yes be nice to catch up Brett, don't get alot of fishing time these day the joys of working in the oil and gas industry.
cheers

finga
30-09-2010, 07:09 AM
Hey great to hear.Going to Glenlyon from the 15th to the 17th of October let me know how the fishing is going if you all could please.

Cheers rossco
Call in for a cuppa if you go through Warwick.
We're about 200m off the highway.

rossco
30-09-2010, 07:26 AM
Thanks finga, I was in Warwick last weekend would of liked to have a cuppa with you and learn a bit about the fishing there as my other half is working in Warwick.
cheers rossco

bdowdy
04-10-2010, 03:15 PM
glenlyon at 80 per centsum

finga
12-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Well I'll be buggered.
I went for a drive on Saturday and went down the ramps to drive around the waters edge and guess what I found??
Another bloody ramp...and in the water :D

I never knew there were 3 ramps. The 3rd was in long grass in the middle of the paddock with no tracks to or from it.
I'll have to get the boat out and use it. It'll be the first time I've ever used a ramp at Leslie.

I took some polaroids but I'll have to figure the computer thingy out again.

PS: Up to 40% today and still on the up.

finga
17-10-2010, 06:45 AM
1/2 full today according to Sunwater and we had a deluge on Friday which will take a day or two to get to the dam. Things are really looking up for a good spring/summer.
It is so good to see people fishing all along the creeks in town. I have not seen that for years.
I'm going for a drive today to have a bopeep :D
I might even go for a fish tomorrow http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Leisures_and_Sports/leisures-and-sports-076.gif

Shawn 66
16-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Great news Finga , any chance of some more up to date photo's

finga
19-11-2010, 07:04 AM
Yep. Good excuse to go for a drive today or tomorrow.
Up to 55% now.
Would you like a picture at anything in particular?

Marlin_Mike
19-11-2010, 08:19 AM
Yep. Good excuse to go for a drive today or tomorrow.
Up to 55% now.
Would you like a picture at anything in particular?

A piccy of your sausage sangas would be nice Scotty..with Tomato Sauce please. I havent had one since the last time..........:P

Mike

finga
19-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Smarty Mike :)

I went for a drive and I've never seen as much water out at Leslie.
Thanks for asking for some pictures Tragic.
The first lot are some from the dam wall lookout and the second lot are from the ramps at the sailing club.
When I was along the wall I looked down, and bugger me, I saw a purple lure.
Do you reckon I could think of a way to get it??
Also of interest was the weed that someone mentioned.
The prevailing wind was bringing everything towards the wall and there wasn't that much weed at that moment in time.

Shawn 66
20-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Smarty Mike :)

I went for a drive and I've never seen as much water out at Leslie.
Thanks for asking for some pictures Tragic.
The first lot are some from the dam wall lookout and the second lot are from the ramps at the sailing club.
When I was along the wall I looked down, and bugger me, I saw a purple lure.
Do you reckon I could think of a way to get it??
Also of interest was the weed that someone mentioned.
The prevailing wind was bringing everything towards the wall and there wasn't that much weed at that moment in time.
Looking good Finga,
Thanks for the photo's.Counting down the days untill I can get up there.
FT