PDA

View Full Version : 15.85kg Golden Trevally

1770JOSH
09-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Big golden i picked up recently on a spear mission, put up a heck of a fight and took me for a tow..

004dam
09-08-2010, 05:19 PM
holy bloody massive

D river
09-08-2010, 05:43 PM
good size fish mate but why is it on dry land you could have shot plenty of good eating fish off that much berly just make sure you cut the chunks up really small cause if the chunks are too big the sharks shake them and get a bit too excited

TimiBoy
09-08-2010, 05:48 PM
good size fish mate but why is it on dry land you could have shot plenty of good eating fish off that much berly just make sure you cut the chunks up really small cause if the chunks are too big the sharks shake them and get a bit too excited

Not telling him he shouldn't have taken it, are you?

Damn nice fish, it'd be nice to catch one on the line, instead of these damn sharks
I keep catching!

Cheers,

Tim

wags on the water
09-08-2010, 11:54 PM
Nice golden Josh.

D river
10-08-2010, 07:08 AM
No not at all these fish are awsome fun too shoot n land but i was dropping hints at what to do with it as a photo of a sh*ty eating trav compared to a mat full of snapper or trout (depending on where you live) is no comparrison. I shoot all manner of crap eating fish but as spearo's we dont eat that rubbish we cut it up into tiny little chunks infront of our jealous line fishing buddies and then start shooting a freezer full of beautiful white flesh. Good work josh nice fish n i bet he nearly drowned you they go extremely hard ey, next time take the camera with you n get pics of both.

cuzzamundi
10-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Crikes mate that's one hell of a bruiser! Bet she tore your arm a new shoulder haha. How do you find the water vis in the warmer months off there? Have speared a couple times near the headland and it was surprisingly good! Gotta watch out for the sharks, though...seem to be a few around there. They certainly keep me on the lookout!

Cuzza

bondy99
10-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Nice fish, you would have felt that one without doubt.

Even Malcolm Douglas would be proud to have that one for his meals.

Good effort, wish I could go be that fit.

Peter

Chopper Taylor
10-08-2010, 08:22 PM
No not at all these fish are awsome fun too shoot n land but i was dropping hints at what to do with it as a photo of a sh*ty eating trav compared to a mat full of snapper or trout (depending on where you live) is no comparrison. I shoot all manner of crap eating fish but as spearo's we dont eat that rubbish we cut it up into tiny little chunks infront of our jealous line fishing buddies and then start shooting a freezer full of beautiful white flesh. Good work josh nice fish n i bet he nearly drowned you they go extremely hard ey, next time take the camera with you n get pics of both.

I know where you are coming from D River. Down this way we have these thumping silver drummer. Good for two things, giving your dog a nice shiny coat, and slicing up as burley for kings etc.

Beautiful effort on the golden btw.

1770JOSH
13-08-2010, 08:03 AM
I know what ur saying mate they aren't real flash on the chew unless u put them through the kipper box. We have a hell f alot of sharks up here so in many situations burley is not an option at all.. I wanted a photo as the fish is a fraction bigger than the current spearfishing IUSA record.. Unfortunately i didnt pass through the right chanels to claim such records, (photos on certified scales, club membership ect.):(

I will say the scraps made mighty fine crab bait and led to a great feed of muddies!
cheers
josh.

nigelr
15-08-2010, 07:33 AM
Bugger about the record Josh, you would certainly have deserved it, those fish are as strong as an ox and that one is huge! Did you get a spine shot on it?
Did real well to avoid the sharks, too, I'd imagine! Well done mate, I'll bet that was an exciting dive!
Cheers.

1770JOSH
16-08-2010, 06:39 AM
thanks nigel,
didnt quite spine him, the shot was a fraction high, after towing me for a while he took a dive for a bommie, i put a bit more pressure on my floatline, the shaft twisted up like spaggetti and he did the damage himself. got hold of the tail shortly after and the struggle was over. :) expensive but fun haha.

D river
17-08-2010, 05:53 AM
Yep bent shafts is the reason i dont try them big fellas on anymore seem some relly big GT's on the weekend at a stupidly close range n prob could have brained them but what if I didnt they would probly have destroyed my gun along with my shaft and the size of some of the sharks off the reef drop off up here is some thing to be seen, avoidinf there attention is well worth a bit of consideration.