PDA

View Full Version : Lobsters at caloundra

Noelm
29-07-2010, 09:51 AM
My son is on holidays at Caloundra at the momnet and he went for a quick dive, he got a few ripper Lobsters (Crayfish) reckons they are a breeze to get compared to the NSW ones. Anyone else do much Lobster diving around there?

Blackened
29-07-2010, 07:44 PM
G'day

Off Shelly beach Noel?

Dave

Noelm
30-07-2010, 08:25 AM
Moffat beach I think he said, I have a pretty dodgey photo from his phone, I will see if I can put it up, he got some greeny looking ones and some painted crays as well.

Noelm
30-07-2010, 08:28 AM
I was always led to believe the painted crays were not all that flash to eat (compared to our southern ones) but he reckoned there was not all that much difference, the shell on the greeny ones where as tough as steel he reckoned, is that pretty normal? but they were a cinch to catch, a cray that size down here would be a real handfull if you ever got it out of it's hole!

Blackened
30-07-2010, 08:31 AM
G'day

I was always looking to go for a dive around the southern part of the headland towards kings beach, out the northern en of shelly and towards dicky beach. All prime areas I thought.

Dave

Noelm
30-07-2010, 09:02 AM
shame he is coming home today, he could have given you a call and had another dive, biggest problem is getting the water clean enough, he was lucky, it was great when he went, I think it was Tuesday, said there was quite a few there, funny looking bottom, all brown looking smooth rocks and almost no weed at all, nothing like we are used to.

Blackened
30-07-2010, 09:06 AM
G'day

Very interesting. We have a unit on golden beach, just around the headland from where he was, so I've spent a fair bit of time up there.

How deep was he finding them?

Dave

FNQCairns
30-07-2010, 09:21 AM
I used to get a few from shelly beach many years ago. 1 or 2 a trip at the right time of the year, forget when that was, think it was pretty hot.

Noelm
30-07-2010, 09:28 AM
he got them quite shallow, the one in the picture was only about 2M deep, and one of the painted crays was caught almost where he jumped in, he was just off the Beach and swam along the headland, just looking about, saw plenty of good quality fish as well.

Noelm
30-07-2010, 09:29 AM
I reckon a dive on Brays? reef would be the go, far enough off shore to keep the hords away, and plenty of good territory.

bondy99
30-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Mate, any cray is a good cray if you can get it for free, so no complaints from me.

Peter

Noelm
30-07-2010, 02:49 PM
he has just called me from home and told me he has some painted cray meat for me to try to make my own mind up on taste. I will let you know the verdict on how they taste compared to our southern ones.

Noelm
31-07-2010, 09:07 AM
well gave the painted cray the NSW taste test, and I can tell you they are not quite as good, but certainly very close, we did a test with the two types and only I knew which was which and a couple of the family actually preferred the painted, but I liked the local southern one better. So there you go, and unbiased taste test of the two FRESH crays.

bondy99
10-08-2010, 03:00 PM
well gave the painted cray the NSW taste test, and I can tell you they are not quite as good, but certainly very close, we did a test with the two types and only I knew which was which and a couple of the family actually preferred the painted, but I liked the local southern one better. So there you go, and unbiased taste test of the two FRESH crays.

Ay Noelm,

Mate, any chance sending a couple my way to try out. ;D

I like to get my hands on some crayfish regardless of colour, can you send me some details of the ones from Caloundra?

I've got a dive suit but only snorkel in clear water, need a diving buddy also.

Cheers, Peter

sarg
20-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Thats pretty good work.

I stay in a unit up at kings beach a few times a year but i dont think i'd have the guts to go snorkling off the rocks there :)

-spiro-
09-10-2010, 11:20 PM
sarg im with you.
if i was if i was young and bullet proof id give it a go.
buggar im to old now i'll stick to the prawns and crab

goldcoast
13-11-2010, 11:05 PM
hey sarg why wouldnt you go snorkelling of there? i was thinking of giving it a go

Captain Seaweed
14-11-2010, 06:29 PM
well dont want to throw a spanner in the works but I have a mate that caught a big cray in the bay off Green Island fishing for whiting.

Noelm
18-11-2010, 02:12 PM
so there must be plenty of the buggers around there, only need some clean water and a few brave enough to give it a go.