PDA

View Full Version : New Trailer for Bayliner 175 Bowrider [18ft]

Primordius
23-07-2010, 12:45 AM
Hi Guys,

First time poster on this forum and really need some advice from fellow boaties.

I've got an 18ft Bayliner Bowrider [glass] as we used to be more into the family fun boating, but since I busted my knee i'm heading down the fishing path more and more.

Problem I have is my trailer is shot and I need a replacement for it before this awesome weather goes away. I've been looking at the Sea Trail trailers - they seem reasonably priced for a full roller trailer, but does anyone have any experiences with these? Know anything about them, IE, will they keep their value for resale?

I was initially under the impression I was up for a couple of grand for a new trailer but Sea Trails are $3,250 and a Dunbier is $4k ++ and as I'll be upgrading to a more comfortable offshore boat perhaps end of year or early next year I want to be sure the money I spend is going to return and also benefit the next owner, too.

Does anyone have suggestions as to make, model and dealerships in Brisbane that I could go through? Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

Rowdy_2002
23-07-2010, 01:11 PM
Gday Matt
If you were going to keep the boat long term then the investment in a new trailer is worthwhile however as you think you will be selling within the next 12 months it may be a better option to look for a good one secondhand. This is of course not easy as most of the secondhand ones that come around are shot.
A few months ago I was looking for a multiroller trailer to suit my 5M cruisecraft and happened upon a good trailer advertised in the trading post. As soon as I had checked it out I offered the seller cash and took possesion of a trailer that would have suited a boat at least a foot longer and heavy duty at that.
I had to do a few mods to the setup so that my boat sat on it well but I am extremely happy and should easily get my money back later this year when I sell.
I managed to sell the old one that needed $800 worth of work for $600 so the new one with RWC and new lights that I fitted ended up as only owing me $800!!

Food for thought
Greg

Jarrah Jack
23-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Rowdy is right with those figures...You won't really get your money back in that short amount of time . The trouble is finding a reasonable secondhand one.

I've just gone through the same process and refurbished one I brought off fleabay for one of my boats. You have to be quick to get them. Just missed out on a real good mackay on ebay that had an old boat on it so people missed it and the lot went for $400. I would've sunk the boat at one of my snapper spots and finished with a great trailer.:'(

Primordius
23-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Thanks for your help guys. Have been looking around at second hand ones and hopefully I will be able to get my hands on one I've been looking at for a reasonable price. Sure beats spending $4k....

My next hurdle will be figuring out how to get the boat on the new trailer - considering I can't drive the existing trailer - it's that bad now.

Fun times ahead!

Jarrah Jack
23-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Easy that one....lots of tyres under the old one as you take it off...then winch the new trailer under the boat. Don't have the trailer hooked up to the car...I got a load of mulch once and let the boat go down on that but then had to distribute the mulch.