PDA

View Full Version : noosa cat

krysha
30-05-2010, 08:22 PM
I am looking at buying a 6.8 noosa cat just looking for some feedback on them as i noticed that half way down the sponsons the v shape flaterned out to be allmost flat at the pods. I am new to cats so i dont no if this is normal or not . any information would be greatly appreciated. Brendan

brendanlymar@bigpond.com

julian1
31-05-2010, 04:37 PM
whats a 6.8 Noosacat ? are you looking at new or secondhand ? the hulls will have a rounded bottom, the earlier Noosacat were a 660 (6.6m) now called the 2300 or the 7m version now called the 2700. If this one is secondhand do you have any pic's of what it is ?

REEF KINGS
31-05-2010, 05:39 PM
If you are new to cats i would ride in a few first they vary so much and the good ones are hard to come by second hand now.

Reel Force
31-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Brendan, i have had my 2300 HT Cuddy Noosa Cat for nearly 4 years. I have twin 135 hp Honda outboards, it cruises at 25knts @ 4100rpm using 23ltr/h thats 11.5 ltr per motor. For the boat its self one word BRILLIANT you can throw any ocean at it and it will turn rough into smooth. No matter what the type of conditions i sit on 4000rpm and sit back and enjoy the ride. Yes i said sit back not stand and ride the bumps. Get yourself a test ride and enjoy.

Russo

Darren J
01-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Hi Krysha,
If the boat you are thinking of is secondhand, I think I know the one you mean. Looked at it on the weekend. Its not a "6.8" Noosa cat as the stickers say. Still an interesting boat but...
Drop me a PM.

Cheers.

krill
01-06-2010, 07:55 PM
A 2300 Noosa will have flat pods, but rounded hulls at the rear like Julian said with a ~20cm flat keel section in the middle. The flat section tapers down in width towards the fore which is eventually fully veed.

krysha
03-06-2010, 09:04 AM
the boat is second hand and has stickers on it saying 6.8 cuddy but the again it has been painted so it could be anything i guess it was origanily a soft top but he put an alloy hard top on it. the boat is on boat point for sale in QLD. Its a nice set up but the motors worry me .they were put on new in 2001 bit have only done 12 hours and have not geen started in 7 years they are johnson 115 2 strokes. i dont no if any mechanic would start them without pulling them down first for a pre purchase inspection. thanks for all your comments

cormorant
03-06-2010, 10:53 AM
No oil film lasts 7 years so there would be some surface rust I would think unless they were prepared for storage and in a very dry environment. . At 12 hours they would still be being double oiled so maybe OK. Start with a borescope down the bores on each one and the exhaust port side of the piston / rings is the other spot to look.

I have seen 5 yo motors stored dry run for years without issues

Pretty cheap to pull down far enough to confirm all is OK if you wanted to go that way , carby clean , impellers and new fuel hoses.

I have always been amazed at how much rust a 2 stroke can spit out and survive.

A run and then a leakdown with compression test would also tell you what if any damage to the bores

Pay accordingly and be cautious.