PDA

View Full Version : Update: changed the Impeller 40ph 2stroke

Debro
11-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Really appreciate all the assistance from Ausfish members.

We gained a Service Manual and purchased the Kit from a very helpful Stones Corner Marine, David Black along with hints and tips. A very obliging person.

The service went really well and quite easy, follow the instruction and diagrams and tips given by David anyone can do this, with a bit of commonsense.

I just like to do my own servicing and if changing the Impeller is required yearly, I consider that a normal service. Similar to changing the gear oil.

I also bought from David the Pump system for changing the gear oil, which makes the job a lot easier than squeezing the bottles.

thank you Stones Corner Marine and
Aus fish for your forum.

Debro

Noelm
12-04-2010, 11:07 AM
the gear oil pump is a handy gizmo huh! nothing quite like trying to squeeze that oil out of those bottles, how often you replce the water pump is not all clear cut, for some doing lots of sand/mud work, once a year is about right, but for someone who uses a deep Harbour type of ramp with no sand, and does not start the motor out of water with no flusher attached, then every couple of years is plenty

Debro
16-04-2010, 08:15 AM
the gear oil pump is a handy gizmo huh! nothing quite like trying to squeeze that oil out of those bottles, how often you replce the water pump is not all clear cut, for some doing lots of sand/mud work, once a year is about right, but for someone who uses a deep Harbour type of ramp with no sand, and does not start the motor out of water with no flusher attached, then every couple of years is plenty

When we pulled the impeller out it looked good. As you say it depends where you use it most. Our is mostly clean water, no sand.
It was nearly 4 years old. We fitted the kit and found a little groving in the plates but looked like the bottom gasket wasn't a good seal and now we notice the water squirting out of the motor is much stronger than before.

Tested it yesterday, all very good.
We didn't drain the oil when we did the job, there is no need to as we did it about 6 months ago.

So we haven't tried the new pump system yet but it certainly gotta be a lot easier than squeezing the bottle.

Thanks for your comments Noelm,
Debro

BaitThrower
16-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Yeah I had to do the impeller and top gear seals not long ago. Relatively simple process if you have some common sense about ya and some good tools.

The first time I tried squeezing gear oil out of a bottle was the same time I invested in a pump system... and the world was a much better place :)