PDA

View Full Version : keeping fish in a yak

fishyfrost
26-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Hi,
I have been thinking of doing a fishing trip offshore and was wondering how to keep fish fresh while out on a prolonged trip. my yak has a fair bit of space maybe for a small esky.. but if something of a decent size is landed. keeping it fresh would be a problem i dare say.. any advice would be greatful cheers

shrunken pojie
26-03-2010, 04:04 PM
A keeper bag might be the trick.

Fitzy
16-04-2010, 08:48 AM
This is an on-going problem with kayak fishing. Most don't take fish, so that's not an issue to them, however those that do often face the issue of having fish go off out of the water, or leaving the fish in the water thus attracting unwanted visitors (if in the rusty stuff)
I've seen people stuff fishing into hatches on kayaks. It is not a good idea to be opening day hatches while on the water.

The new Prowler Ultra has an ice box accessory that drops straight into the rear well, a good idea for those who want to get fish bigger than a bream into their yak.

Cheers,

fitzy..

Just_chips
16-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Check out the range of kayak accessories by 'Flybridge' including fish bags designed for use on kayaks. http://www.flybridge.com.au/fish_bags.html

Kev

JRJR
24-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Hi,
I have been thinking of doing a fishing trip offshore and was wondering how to keep fish fresh while out on a prolonged trip. my yak has a fair bit of space maybe for a small esky.. but if something of a decent size is landed. keeping it fresh would be a problem i dare say.. any advice would be greatful cheers

My opinion, or advice or whatever you want to call it is quite simple.
After doing a bit of off shore fishing myself if I catch something of decent size I head for home with the fish on my lap secured with a stringer through the mouth and gill. Or I place it in the back of the Kayak (still secured)
Believe me, if you catch a big fish you don't care about trying to catch more.
I don't anyway and if it is a big fish you will probably be buggered and want to head back home with your proud catch anyway.

No fancy expensive gear required. The less you need to carry on the Yak the better.

I suppose you could struggle to get it into a wet hessian bag........ if you have one big enough. :grin:

LostNearBribie
26-05-2010, 02:37 PM
Mate there is a pretty good DIY option here:

http://www.kfdu.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3829