PDA

View Full Version : Latest news..Jessica Watson comming home!!!!!!

finding_time
26-01-2010, 12:02 AM
Yep it's true, she was hit by a huge storm , wind gust over 70 knots and massive seas, the boat was knocked down 4 times and is now heading for home!

But before the i told you so brigade comes out in force::) it's not quiet what you think she's actually just past the 11 500 nm mark and is now past halfway so offically heading home ;) and the best of luck to her!

Ian

O-3
26-01-2010, 12:23 AM
About time a real thread got started;) ("Watkins" just wasn't doing it for me )

Regarding when she says "knocked down" does she mean a full capsize?
From what I read i take it as yes.

Amazing if that is the case. She talks as if it was nothing.
That would scare the crap out of me :o

No vid of the big swell yet only the smaller swell as she was rounding the cape.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2OvWpXZfDTU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2OvWpXZfDTU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

sleepygreg
26-01-2010, 12:35 AM
from what i read it a full 180 degree knockdown.....and multiply that by four. If she got through those conditions...and she did....then there isnt much than can stop her from achieving her dream. Go Jess.

Greg

O-3
26-01-2010, 12:42 AM
then there isnt much than can stop her from achieving her dream. Go Jess.

I agree, time to bring the world record home.
Still a long way to go yet though must admit.

Did you see her Father in the latest vid?
Quite touching.

Must be hard for her parents.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9N4ZGqwS9Fk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9N4ZGqwS9Fk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

mookyandlumpy
26-01-2010, 06:20 AM
did anyone see the youger american girl has set sail to do a solo round worl trip too ,
what i think will be interesting to see will be if it was about the sailing or the record if it gets broken so soon...

good luck to her hope she arrives home safe ...

maztez
26-01-2010, 06:53 AM
come on Aussie come on come on ....what a great inspiration to us Aussies and the rest of the world ....sheer guts and determination and heaps of internal fortitude ....GO JESS ...come home safe ....

trymyluck
26-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Havn't looked at hre website for a couple of days but reading and thinking about what it would be like in those sort of conditions just sent a chill down my spine. To keep going shows that she has courage a plenty. Well done Jess and keep going, the closer you get to home the more supporters and backslappers you will have for sure.
Mark

Chamelion
26-01-2010, 11:21 AM
*flips the middle finger at the naysayers*... Not mature, I know.. I really don't care. Go Jess :D

Hornet Rider
26-01-2010, 01:53 PM
This is not directed at anyone in particular, but can we drop the 'naysayer' theme please? It's divisive & counter productive. Anyone who had doubts about Jessica's ability or the suitability of her vessel, if those doubts were based on intimate knowledge of her competency & vessel integrity, has a place to speak out, but if that doubt was fueled by the Press, hearsay, uneducated guess work, group think, misinformation or similar, then that stuff needs to be filed as opinion. Tall poppy is a blight that inflicts the Aussie culture, it's comes from being too cynical - some parents have a lot to answer for. Lets put a stop to it. Young Jessica is on an amazing journey of self discovery. By now she's experienced the worst that fear can offer, because during those dunkings I bet she thought she was gone, but she appears to be keeping ahead it - that's courage! She could have pulled the pin & asked for someone to come get her. She's already a champion.

cheers, HR

Chamelion
27-01-2010, 01:46 AM
Am I not allowed a little ner ner nee ner ner on Australia day? :P

Taroona
27-01-2010, 06:03 AM
Found this on Sailinganarchy.com

"The Lord's Will?"
Born again Christian Abby Sunderland headed off on Friday in her bid to become the world's youngest circumnavigator, though she's got a longer trip than the other teenaged girl currently on the high seas, and will have to push if she's to finish at a younger age than Watson.
As we've sad numerous times, the record itself is inane. After all, midshipmen younger than either girl effectively commanded square riggers 'round the horn 200 years ago. But there's a mild fascination with these kids that keeps us watching, and in Jessica Watson's case, she's a genuinely interesting girl, with a humble style and storytelling skill that's held out attention, and that of thousands of fans around the world.
But after watching this video of Abby and her family (http://www.latimes.com/videobeta/watch/?watch=5d353ed4-44f5-4358-afd9-ada9669edb68&src=front), we're left wondering if she has the slightest chance to make it. Sure, Reid Stowe proved that even the most retarded sailors can drift around the world eventually, and Abby's dopey brother Zac made it around in his many-stop voyage on an Islander 36. But Abby's sailing an Open 40 - not the kind of forgiving ride the others have - with a questionable history, and she has precious few days practicing or qualifying the boat for the kind of heavy weather she is bound to face. And a flat-assed Open 40 is an entirely different beast when running downwind in the Southern Ocean in 60 knots and 10m waves like Jess did the other day. Jess got knocked down a few times (http://www.examiner.com/x-7657-SF-Boating-Examiner~y2010m1d24-Jessica-Watson-survives-hurricaneforce-winds-in-the-South-Atlantic) and took it all in stride with a wisdom far beyond her years, but an Open 40 like Abby's is harder to control and far more likely to pitch pole, and does anyone think the inexperienced Abby can handle that? Even more unnerving is her family's reliance on God and prayer to help them get to the end of this one - not the traditional place that solo sailors look for inspiration, and not someone likely to lay down the storm when she needs it. And we just can't help but be put off the her comment that her doing this is "The Lord's will." So if she fails miserably, or worse, is that too the Lord's will? Puuleeese...
Realistically, if her sat phone and e-mail hold up, Abby should have all the advice she needs from a large group of supporters to make it around the world. And to us, a young girl accomplishing a solo RTW is a net positive for mainstream exposure (http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Weekend/16-year-california-girl-sets-sail-youngest-circumnavigate/story?id=9644059) to our sport and not a bad thing at all. But there's something creepy about the whole thing, and we don't know if it's the bible-thumping, the weird brother-sister dynamic, or Abby's ridiculous line of commemorative shoes, boots, and shirts (http://www.abby16.com/). Whatever it is that is making us so uneasy, we hope Abby doesn't end up doing the one thing guaranteed to get top exposure in the world media...dying. Thread here (http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=102689&st=0&gopid=2688588&#entry2688588).

01/25/10

Jarrah Jack
27-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Good to read how Jessica has gained the respect of the sailing community. It appears that she has chosen the right yacht to do the trip in and it is set up to handle the conditions......If the US girl has got a yacht that is likely to pitch pole because of the stern design then no amount of sailing experience good remedy that....Pitchpole is going end over end..imagine that.

PADDLES
27-01-2010, 04:14 PM
is there a world record available for a four year old to circumnavigate the globe in a tinny? my 4yo is asking way too many questions at the moment and i need some peace and quiet for a while .............. how do they make chocolate yogurt dad? ................. who makes bread dad? ............... dad, why do we have legs?

finga
28-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Who???

I'm sorry but if she was doing the trip for self discovery why was every second (it seemed) recorded and broadcast to the world??

I thought self descovery was about finding yourself without the world watching every moment.

Oh....Paddles. We have legs so our a$$ doesn't drag on the ground. Bandaids would hurt like hell changing them all the time

Hornet Rider
28-01-2010, 08:02 PM
[quote=finga;1124174]Who???

I'm sorry but if she was doing the trip for self discovery why was every second (it seemed) recorded and broadcast to the world??

I thought self descovery was about finding yourself without the world watching every moment.

finga,

I didn't say her intent to go for a record attempt was predicated on self discovery. Who knows what her intent was or is - maybe just to set a record, maybe make a name for herself, maybe make millions of dollars, maybe all of those. So what? What I did say was she's on an amazing journey of self discovery, it's a by-product of what she locked herself into when she set sail. The implication being she's learning things about herself she could have never otherwise discovered.

cheers, HR

Taroona
04-02-2010, 02:17 PM
From Sailing Anarchy.com

abby out

Teenaged would-be circumnavigator Abby Sunderlan (http://www.abbysunderland.com/)d has already proved many of her naysayers correct, with issues with her poorly prepared Open 40 leading to her announcement that she'd be pulling into Cabo San Lucas just days after leaving California for her 'youngest round' attempt. Abby lost data from her wind instruments almost immediately after her departure, and it seems that her team made some basic and fundamental errors in calculating Abby's power consumption. Mom and pop will meet Abby and modify her boat to better accomodate the power needs of a young girl with a huge DVD collection and 10,000 Facebook friends. Her blog - obviously written by a doting and publicity minded shore team - reassures her fans (http://soloround.blogspot.com/) that "since I'm still North of the equator I won't have to give up" on her ridiculous Guinness Book record attempt. The dubious record, which doesn't recognize a single unique skill besides age, requires her to cross the equator during her circumnavigation, and Cabo is still a long way North, though her diversion will cost a minimum of a week in total.
With the Cape Horn winter marching ever closer and Abby sure to feel the pressure of getting around sooner rather than later, is a last-minute re-fit of batteries and fuel tanks the right way to send this young girl off to round the Great Capes? Read what the builder of Abby's boat thinks (http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=102689&view=findpost&p=2702424) about that idea right here in the forum and add your opinion.
02/01/10

finding_time
04-02-2010, 02:59 PM
Taroona

I've been following that thread since the start, 2 thing strike you when you read it! 1/ that the mods on here do a great job keeping ausfish civil!!! And secondly that Abby quest was a direct result of jessica's attempt and has not been planned very well at all! She has done very little leadup/ shake down sailing in this boat( no time as she's got to beat Jessica) She's gone with a faster boat because she's late in the season and needs to get around quick ( it's an open 40 and capable boat but not renowned for non stop solo round the world trips) She is totally relient on electronics ( auto poilot- not wind vane, this plus leaving her radar and comunications on 24/7 burns power big time and they didn't do there sums om energy use) And she does't have any time to play with before winter storms become a big issue, the whole trip was planned to late! She is also already talking about not doing the Horn and going through the panama canal instead, it all just seems so unplanned.

This was always my one big issue with these attemps is that once you set a record someone will try and beat it and younger that 16 is young!

ian

Steeler
04-02-2010, 03:45 PM
I think she has done an awesome job

And yes we just love the way the mods are fair minded and keep the piece,keep up the good work Phil.

Cheers

Steve

Jarrah Jack
04-02-2010, 04:42 PM
I guess that if your call your forum sailing anarchy then you would have to accept some pretty loose behavior. Its great that the mods keep this site civil, quite a few have been banned when you read the back threads. I also read that there is some disquite on another fishing forum and a number are leaving.

Concerning the thread, if you were a betting man the odds of Abby making it would be legthening every day whilst Jess's is shortening. Well done Jess!

DTHCoCo
04-02-2010, 06:11 PM
I think she done really well to survive, but a down right idiot decision to attempt it at her age. To me her parents are thick in the head to let her go to start with, all that matters is that she returns safely. Opinons are like arse holes everyone got one.

finding_time
04-02-2010, 06:20 PM
I think she done really well to survive, but a down right idiot decision to attempt it at her age. To me her parents are thick in the head to let her go to start with, all that matters is that she returns safely. Opinons are like arse holes everyone got one.

Which one of the 2 were you refering to???? If it was Jessica i feal your being fairly harsh. she's done a whole lot more than survive imho, she's sailed over 12,000 nm solo, she's rounded Cape Horn, she's battled through a severe Southern Ocean storm, knock downs and all , and that's a whole lot more than just survive;)

Ian

GBC
04-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Last single handed flat arsed down hiller I saw in the Southern Ocean ended up upsidedown with a very scared man inside it.

Taroona
04-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Last single handed flat arsed down hiller I saw in the Southern Ocean ended up upsidedown with a very scared man inside it.

Wasn't that bulimore and the Aust navy had to pick him up.........

I had a smaller (26ft) flat bottom across the stern racer and I had a lot of difficulty sailing her single handed.

But Jessica's boat is not a bad shape at all for the sea's she's been in. Maybe a bit difficult down wind but that's about all.

Les

finding_time
04-02-2010, 09:56 PM
i think GBC was refering to Abby's open 40"

O-3
04-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Taroona....Why don't you start a new "Abby" thread??

I can't see the point of posting her progress in the Jessica Watson thread.
Just complicates things IMHO.

Taroona
05-02-2010, 05:50 AM
Taroona....Why don't you start a new "Abby" thread??

I can't see the point of posting her progress in the Jessica Watson thread.
Just complicates things IMHO.

I only put it there to show how well prepared Jessica was, that's all.

O-3
05-02-2010, 02:41 PM
No worries mate.

I thought you were going to keep posting her updates in this thread.

Cheers

Steeler
05-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Aus 1 Yanks 0

BILLY THE KID
05-02-2010, 03:57 PM
wasnt jessica watson disqualified from the " solo circum nav. record " because she had electrical problems with her batteries and had to head into port ???

Either way she has some guts going that far alone

brisbane_boy
05-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Still monitoring the Cap's website and no sign of her so shes done well sofar.

John West
05-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Ambition: Become the youngest person to sail solo, nonstop and unassisted around the world

Above quoted from her website.

Now don't get me wrong I wish Jessica the best of luck and sincerely hope she completes her attempt to sail around the world , for a 17 year old girl a phenomenal and ballsy effort.

But to claim it is unassisted Just doesn't sit comfortably with me, she has so much assistance its not funny, from her pre packed meals from her mum to her up to the minute weather reports from Bob advising her where to head , and it should be this way for a 17 year old girl.

Am I being too cynical? is technology making things too easy?, not that it is an easy task but compared to other world sailing circumnavigations is it fair?

finding_time
05-02-2010, 07:32 PM
wasnt jessica watson disqualified from the " solo circum nav. record " because she had electrical problems with her batteries and had to head into port ???

No that was the other one Abby Sunderland;) She's about to restart her attempt!;)

BB

Nice of you to stay glued to the Captin Stabbins just to check if she turns up::) ::) The family really owes you one!!!:P

John West

Mate you should read the sailanarchy threads, this subject has been done to death, technology has always been improving and the sailors of the day make use of the latest and greatest, was the first sailor to use a GPS accused of "cheating" buy his peers because they saw the Sextant as the only "REAL" way to navigate? And was infact the first to use a sextant accused of cheating by the dead reckoning crowd???? If Jessica does hold this so called record the person attempting to break it will probably have some technology that will make her/his passage even easier, it's the way the world is!!!It's not just navigation, how about the first sailor to have a wind vanes or for that matter a auto pilot??? How about self furling sails ,solar panels, diesel motors, water makers or even freeze dried foods

Mate i'm sure when the shit hit the fan down there east of Cape Horn and the wind hit 70 knots and the boat rolled down those waves all the technology in the world didn't help her at all,and she was in all sense of the word SOLO!

Ian

Mister
05-02-2010, 08:55 PM

Obviously one of the reasons why there should be two (2) very separate threads. Some people simply get very confused with who is who.

Horse
05-02-2010, 10:41 PM
I think Jessica's parents are poor examples of good parenting but Abby Sunderlands should be locked up for child abuse. Fancy setting your own daughter out there in a vessel that was not capable of maintaining its own power sources. Surely they did some sea trials. Thats even worse than setting a young kid out on a boat into a major shipping channel and getting her collected by a ship before she even starts her attempt.
The parents are the ones who drive these endevours. No young child could get organise the whole thing.
Good luck Jess. I hope the homeward journey is kind.

sleepygreg
06-02-2010, 12:12 AM
I am a huge fan of Jessica Watson. The 'Abbey' attempt is a short sighted..no doubt parent driven (as seems to be the way in the US) attempt to break a record that they have just stumbled accross.

NO solo circumnavigation is done without a lot of preparation, involving many people, regardless of whether they are chasing a record or not. It would be foolish for it to be otherwise. Jess also has a lot more solo hours up than most critics are aware of...she did NOT go into this unprepared.

How was it that the American girl only got a day or two into her trip before she a) run out of diesel ( ithought she was supposed to be sailing), and b) ran out of power? A slight miscalculation.....more like total lack of preparation/knowledge on behalf of her and her 'support crew'.

Look ...I wish Abbey the best of luck in her attempt ( i think she is gonna need it). But my money would be on Jess's preparation and base support crew to help get her home under the rules of the attempt.

In my mind she has already earned her stripes...she has conquered sailings 'everest', now she is aiming for the 'three peaks'.

Go Jess.

Greg

oldboot
06-02-2010, 09:59 AM
A sweet young girl circumnavigates the globe single handed.........I wonder what a young bloke has to do to impress a girl like that...........kriky you have to be Tarzan or something.
You'd certainly have to be pretty confident to ask a girl like that out.

cheers

Chamelion
06-02-2010, 11:56 AM
A sweet young girl circumnavigates the globe single handed.........I wonder what a young bloke has to do to impress a girl like that...........kriky you have to be Tarzan or something.
You'd certainly have to be pretty confident to ask a girl like that out.

cheers

Confident, driven, focussed... She might be single for a while, these teenagers we have in Aus at the moment are lazy and have bugger all work ethic. ::)

Horse
06-02-2010, 01:30 PM
I am a huge fan of Jessica Watson. The 'Abbey' attempt is a short sighted..no doubt parent driven (as seems to be the way in the US) attempt to break a record that they have just stumbled accross.

NO solo circumnavigation is done without a lot of preparation, involving many people, regardless of whether they are chasing a record or not. It would be foolish for it to be otherwise. Jess also has a lot more solo hours up than most critics are aware of...she did NOT go into this unprepared.

How was it that the American girl only got a day or two into her trip before she a) run out of diesel ( ithought she was supposed to be sailing), and b) ran out of power? A slight miscalculation.....more like total lack of preparation/knowledge on behalf of her and her 'support crew'.

Look ...I wish Abbey the best of luck in her attempt ( i think she is gonna need it). But my money would be on Jess's preparation and base support crew to help get her home under the rules of the attempt.

In my mind she has already earned her stripes...she has conquered sailings 'everest', now she is aiming for the 'three peaks'.

Go Jess.

Greg

The Sunderlands are pretty experienced in this sort of thing as Abbeys brother Zac held the record that Jessica is trying to break. To me it is plain stupid sending kids out there. Hundreds of cruising boats travel offshore at night each week and Jess was the only one to actually run into another ship. Why? Inexperience and overconfidence. The same with Abbeys power use. She probably stayed up all night on Facebook or something

finding_time
06-02-2010, 03:05 PM
The Sunderlands are pretty experienced in this sort of thing as Abbeys brother Zac held the record that Jessica is trying to break. To me it is plain stupid sending kids out there. Hundreds of cruising boats travel offshore at night each week and Jess was the only one to actually run into another ship. Why? Inexperience and overconfidence. The same with Abbeys power use. She probably stayed up all night on Facebook or something

Not quite Neil.

Zac's wasn't a non stop circumnavigation, he had some stops;) Lots of stops!!! :-X He also did the Panama Canal not Cape Horn.:) I'm sure this will happen with Abby aswell, i think she'll have to stops, she's just using to much power, Auto helm, radar, comunications, etc. What really suprises me is she has had NO, ZERO,ZILCH, NADA time solo in her boat before setting off!!:o:o :o She had oppertunity but didn't use it, her brother or father was always with her, even when she left port for her attempt her father was at the helm till she left the harbour then got into an inflatable???? What The??? And getting the boat only 4 months befor setting off??? All seems very rushed. Then again if Jessica's brother or dad had sailed the Mooloolaba to Sydney leg with her she may well have not had that incident either! And you have to remember that the incident happened before she actually started the attempt so you could say her attemps has been incident free!;D Well maybe!

Ian

Mister
06-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Build a bridge Horse and move on, your monotonous tone is becoming boring and repetitive apart from being negative and not very well informed.

Steeler
06-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Settle down fellas

Nedloh1
06-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Ambition: Become the youngest person to sail solo, nonstop and unassisted around the world

Now don't get me wrong I wish Jessica the best of luck and sincerely hope she completes her attempt to sail around the world , for a 17 year old girl a phenomenal and ballsy effort.

But to claim it is unassisted Just doesn't sit comfortably with me, she has so much assistance its not funny, from her pre packed meals from her mum to her up to the minute weather reports from Bob advising her where to head , and it should be this way for a 17 year old girl.

Am I being too cynical? is technology making things too easy?, not that it is an easy task but compared to other world sailing circumnavigations is it fair?

Nedloh1
06-02-2010, 07:37 PM
the only salmon john west rejects

trymyluck
06-02-2010, 11:00 PM

Maybe you are right to a point but show me where anyone has done it without some sort of assistance in preparation. She has already shown incredible courage maturity and ability way beyond her years. Yes she had a bit of a hickup to start with but hey it was good publicity wasn't it.;D I think its time for the negativity to stop and everyone get behind Jessica admire her for what she has achieved and lets hope it all goes to plan. I could only hope that if it had been one of my daughters that wanted to chase this dream that I'd have had the courage to allow it to happen.
Mark

finding_time
07-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Well the whole Abby Sunderland venture has just decended from farce to down right dangerous joke, for those that haven't followed the whole story she pulled into Cabo san lucas about 10 days after starting her "round the world solo non stop trip"! Now the whole adventure has always had a very rushed feel to it, she is trying to beat Jessica's trip and has only 5 months to do it and even less of a weather window so they have no time to spare, she never had any time solo at all in the boat before she left and that caused her to basically abandon her first attempt because she's was running out of power( auto piolot, navigation equipment, radar, internet, etc)and her solar panels, wind genorator and diesel alternator, weren't making enough to cover the usage! So now her second attempt has started 3 days later from Cabo and her big soluting to the problem is to add more batteries ( how that helps i dont know if she wasn't generating the power to top up 4 batteries how will 8 help??? And the other solution is to carry more diesel, now they could have had a bigger fuel tank made but oh yes no time got to beat Jessica!!!::) ::) So they have added 20 jerry cans and stowed them below!!!!!!!:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o Now imagine them if the boat gets knocked down in the sth Ocean:o :o The whole trip is rushed and it's rushed for only one reason to beat Jessica ! Stupid

Here's a pic of the jerry cans!

And click on this line and read some of the comments here there well worth a read! http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=102689&st=550

brisbane_boy
07-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Looks sort of familiar Ian, LOL.

finding_time
07-02-2010, 01:07 PM
:o :o Yep abit like the kc before a big trip8-)

bugman
07-02-2010, 01:27 PM
How far would you get with that many on board Rob.... Vanuatu maybe.

If there was a tragic accident in the Sunderland boat - how could the parents justify their actions and live with their conscious

finding_time
07-02-2010, 04:00 PM
If there was a tragic accident in the Sunderland boat - how could the parents justify their actions and live with their conscious

They would say it's Gods will!!;) I'm serious this has been there fall back to most of the unanswered questions, God will look after her, God will give her the strength, We pray to God she will be safe, etc It's really really scary!

And for all those that think i'm kidding about that , here's a sample from her Blog

What all the armchair experts are forgetting is that Abby and the Team led by Laurence are putting Jesus first, trusting in Him to be their guide and saviour rather than the mere opinions of fallible and mortal men. People who do not know the Lord or the power of Prayer and His calling will never understand this. But this is exactly why the Lord has called Abby to this work, because by demonstrating her faith in Him, His Power and Glory will be shown to the whole world.

As you know He will protect you.

Sister in Jesus
Ian

bugman
07-02-2010, 06:51 PM
I shake my head with even more fervour:'(

finga
07-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Will He pay the rescue bill if need be??

finding_time
07-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Will He pay the rescue bill if need be??

With any lucK he'll make something really important( but not critical) break/fail on her boat so she'll have to seek help at another port and give up the attempt;) ;) ;) One can only hope!

I really like this post from Sailing Anarchy.....

"I guess a lot of prayers to a lot of different gods by a lot of sailors over the years must have been improperly phrased, or maybe a just a bad connection? "

It about sums up the whole GOD will be my shepard stuff!

Ian

brisbane_boy
07-02-2010, 08:13 PM
Yeh what a joke, talking up there cause at this stage, any publicity is good. ill put my money down now, not a chance in hell she makes it to the end.

tigermullet
07-02-2010, 08:23 PM
They would say it's Gods will!!;) I'm serious this has been there fall back to most of the unanswered questions, God will look after her, God will give her the strength, We pray to God she will be safe, etc It's really really scary!

And for all those that think i'm kidding about that , here's a sample from her Blog

What all the armchair experts are forgetting is that Abby and the Team led by Laurence are putting Jesus first, trusting in Him to be their guide and saviour rather than the mere opinions of fallible and mortal men. People who do not know the Lord or the power of Prayer and His calling will never understand this. But this is exactly why the Lord has called Abby to this work, because by demonstrating her faith in Him, His Power and Glory will be shown to the whole world.

As you know He will protect you.

Sister in Jesus
Ian

The quote sounds more than just a 'fallback' position. Yikes! Superstition in lieu of skill, planning and preparation? This looks like the perfect beginning for a Darwin award.

Tangles
07-02-2010, 09:15 PM
I agree with Horse

though it seems that Jess is proving the doubters wrong and is doing the job, it still aint right what these parents are doing..both Jessica and Sunderland... all reminds me of those parents who did the 6 year old beauty queen pageants in the states...

hope they both get around the tennis ball but its a far cry from the pioneers.

Hillary walked up a hill first, a lot have followed, and have done it quicker, younger, fitter, or disabled, the first up a more difficult route etc..... but it doesnt take away the challenge/uncertainty of being the first, a pioneer... being the youngest in my book is just like getting a Guiness record for eating jelly beans.

still an amazing challenge and it seems that Jessica can manage the grey bits between the ears, but to hear some of the comments you would think she was the first to ever sail around the world.. great achievement personally for her but doesnt compare to the early explorers or the first around the tennis ball.

m2c

mike

Mister
08-02-2010, 08:16 AM
When will the nay sayers loose the parental excuse?

Tangles
08-02-2010, 10:45 AM
lol its called having an opinion Mister, clearly if one has an opinion different to yours you call them naysayers lol

oh and im a climate change denier and skeptic according to Rudd ( as i happen to have a differing opinion lol)

Mister
08-02-2010, 11:07 AM
The parental thing has been done to death completely along with all the why's, if's, but's, should noters, nay sayers so if she should be doing this or not has long past discussion or comment, move on other wise people like you will still be discussing the pros/cons long after she gets back probably not even realising she is back..

Tangles
08-02-2010, 11:26 AM
you moderating this thread Mister what we can and cant say? lol

i think if you read my post Mister properly, i also made the point Jessica is proving her doubters wrong and seemed up to the challenge of managing the grey matter.. and good luck to her.. but im still a naysayer mate lol

Steeler
08-02-2010, 11:44 AM
[quote=Aigutso;1128645]you moderating this thread Mister what we can and cant say? lol

i think if you read my post Mister properly, i also made the point Jessica is proving her doubters wrong and seemed up to the challenge of managing the grey matter.. and good luck to her.. but im still a naysayer mate lol[/quote

YEP !!!!!!

Horse
08-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Anyone else got a young kid they want to send out to beat what will hopefully be Jessicas new record? The simple fact of the matter is that this young girl almost died on her first night out because she failed in some fundamental areas of seamanship :-X . It sounds a lot worse in the case of Abbey Sunderland where the basic prep has not been done just so that she can try to break the record>:( .
Jessicas mother has been regularly doing the radio rounds pumping up the publicity (I heard her on 3 stations last week in 10mins with the same speel last week:P ). There is a fairly big publicity machine behind the whole thing and this should set Jessica up for a good start in life:) . I really don't want to see any more kids caught up in the whole thing and sent out to risk their lives to break these sort of records
I guess that many who aren't a parent of a teenager might have trouble understanding my point of view.

finding_time
23-02-2010, 08:29 AM
Just an update, sometime in the next few hours she'll pass the Cape of good Hope, so that's that's 2 oceans ( atlantic and pacific) and the 2 great capes ( Horn and Good Hope) done only leaving the Indian Ocean and the sth Ocean across the bottom of Aus to be completed!! If you say that quickly it doesn't sound like much!:o Anyway she's doing really well so far and hopefully there wont be to many issues on the home would run, best of luck!

ian

trymyluck
09-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Well how good is this girl going, now I know there is a lot of people out there that still disagree with her doing this but the way she has handled herself so far must surely be enough for them to say fair enough. Still a bit to do but I'm sure it will all go well. Will be some great stories for her to tell.

Mark

finding_time
25-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Well there's no real need to up date now on jessica as the news papers seem to do it every day now but there has been a big development with the girl thats chasing her around. Abby Sutherland's attempt was a very rushed affair and the whole thing was scrambled together in about 3 months and has always had a bad feel about it, i was seroiusly worried about this girl now after a false start were she had to pull into Cabo for repairs and extra fuel and batteries( AFTER ONLY 9 DAYS) and a series of issues with both her auto poilot and back up unit she's decided to head to Cape town for repairs ( A very very good thing) but there ends the non stop part of her journey so providing Jessica get through this next 2 weeks she's going to keep her unoffical record for a while yet as had Abby finished her trip she would have been the youngest as she's 5 months younger.

Abby's attempt really illustrates how well Jessica has gone both in planning and execution. Abby boat is a racer capable of 25 knots plus in the right conditions yet she has averaged less NM pre day than jessicas who s&s 34 would have a top reaching speed of 7.5 knots yet has averaged almost 5 NM per hour over the whole trip( pretty impressive) I turns out she can actually sail and sail well ( go figure!!!the media got it wrong calling her inexperienced in the beginning) I know she has won the respect of a lot of very very good sailors around the world!!!

Ian

Here's Abby Blog anoucement!
http://soloround.blogspot.com/2010/04/news.html#comments

trymyluck
25-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Well there's no real need to up date now on jessica as the news papers seem to do it every day now but there has been a big development with the girl thats chasing her around. Abby Sutherland's attempt was a very rushed affair and the whole thing was scrambled together in about 3 months and has always had a bad feel about it, i was seroiusly worried about this girl now after a false start were she had to pull into Cabo for repairs and extra fuel and batteries( AFTER ONLY 9 DAYS) and a series of issues with both her auto poilot and back up unit she's decided to head to Cape town for repairs ( A very very good thing) but there ends the non stop part of her journey so providing Jessica get through this next 2 weeks she's going to keep her unoffical record for a while yet as had Abby finished her trip she would have been the youngest as she's 5 months younger.

Abby's attempt really illustrates how well Jessica has gone both in planning and execution. Abby boat is a racer capable of 25 knots plus in the right conditions yet she has averaged less NM pre day than jessicas who s&s 34 would have a top reaching speed of 7.7 knots yet has averaged almost 5 NM per hour over the whole trip( pretty impressive) I turns out she can actually sail and sail well ( go figure!!!the media got it wrong calling her inexperienced in the beginning) I know she has won the respect of a lot of very very good sailors around the world!!!

Ian

Here's Abby Blog anoucement!
http://soloround.blogspot.com/2010/04/news.html#comments

I think Ian that experience was one thing she may have lacked a bit, but there is only one way to get it and what she lacked in experience she has proved that she made up for in ability and courage. I think she has won respect from a lot of people around the world, not just sailors. Good for her.

Mark

black runner
25-04-2010, 10:36 PM
Impressive sailing credentials for a 16 year old. The BOM 4 day forecast chart for this week will see more strings added to her bow on the planned course around the bottom of Tas.

All the best and good on her!

sleepygreg
26-04-2010, 01:39 AM
I have been following her journey from the time she left the sunny coast. With all the 'do gooders' negative posts about her being 'too young'. 'too inexperienced' (ffs...others who set the record had less experience than her before they started). She has a a great 'ground crew', obviously had a great preparation and planning for the trip, the best available equipment for her journey, and a strength of character and physical determination to do her part to succeed in her attempt. Arent they all attributes that we, in our own pursuits, deem as essential in achieving our goals? Be they work, life, recreational?

If anyone has bothered to follow her journey...as I have...via her blog and various other media...you would have to give credit to this young lady as being a fine example of someone prepared to 'have a go' at doing something special.

I wish I was able to be be in a yacht escorting her in to Sydney Harbour when she returns. Just have to watch it on the idiot box.

Greg

finding_time
30-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Home waters aren't being very kind, with one large low after another pumilling her but this is one very very tough little girl!!

Go Jessica!

brisbane_boy
30-04-2010, 05:38 PM
that looks like hell and itd be worse than the pic!

bugman
30-04-2010, 06:11 PM
That's a normal offshore day for people who have lived DOWN SOUTH.

I think the shelf in the tinny would be a possibility.

I think I'd like to be there when she sails back to the Gold Coast. She deserve all the accolades she's going to recieve.

Brett

finding_time
30-04-2010, 08:19 PM
that looks like hell and itd be worse than the pic!

According to BOM that's an 8m swell with a 4 m sea on top of it and a decent 45 knots of wind driving it along, Yep it's a hell of alot worse than the pic.

She's got till sunday morning before the next low smashes her, it 200 nm to South west Cape and her boat travels at around 6 knots in good wind 6x36 is 216 nm Go girl it would be good if she could turn the corner before the next low!

Ian

Chamelion
01-05-2010, 12:41 AM
That's a normal offshore day for people who have lived DOWN SOUTH.

I think the shelf in the tinny would be a possibility.

I think I'd like to be there when she sails back to the Gold Coast. She deserve all the accolades she's going to recieve.

Brett

You mean the sunshine coast?

STUIE63
01-05-2010, 08:38 AM
the end of the voyage will be Sydney as that is where she left from

oldboot
01-05-2010, 11:49 AM
I predict a serious outbreak of zits when she gets back home......she's too young to celebrate with a drink.......So she will be recieving lots of chocolates as welcome home gifts.

:grin:

cheers

Chamelion
09-05-2010, 01:52 AM
Anyone know if she's going to sail back to the sunshine coast from sydney or take a well deserved break and jump on a plane?

Apollo
09-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Surprise no one has mentioned the lack of ability to claim the 'round the world as the youngest sailor' title. Firstly I must say, what she has achieved is a true credit to her. I do think that her now saying that she never wanted the title nor did she ever plan to claim it is very much detrimental to her and what she has done. All along she claimed and promoted that this was her goal. She even told Jess Marting in an interview that she want to 'smash' his record. She flogged this goal to the media and her sponsors got on board because of it. What she and her parents are saying now is wrong and disrespectful. Growing up is about trust and respect - a lesson she hasn't learnt unfortunately.

Lastly I want to say what an amazing effort she has done to get around the globe. Yes, she had some luck and good fortune, but she has done a fantastic job - good on her for that.

Steve

Taroona
09-05-2010, 01:43 PM
The following from sailinganarchy.com

As you know, we loath the officious way much of this sport is run, and we speak out about it whenever warranted. So when we heard that Jessica Watson will be denied world record (http://www.smh.com.au/national/teen-sailor-jessica-watson-will-miss-out-on-world-record-20100503-u2kb.html) status of being the youngest person to sail solo, non-stop and unassisted around the world, we took a look at it and are calling bullshit, not only on the facts, but the whiners who are complaining about Watson.
It turns out that in order to meet the strict criteria of the record, she had to sail 21,600 miles, but apparently is going to come up short of that. So what? Did she not 'start and return from the same port, cross all meridians of longitude and cross the equator, as required to complete her journey'? The answer is yes, yes and yes. Yet in order to claim the record, she needed to add some 2,000 miles to her tally, miles which are extraneous, unnecessary and a perfect example of the officious aspect of which we speak.
And we find it ridiculous that the wank from sail world is squawking the loudest about Watson's record not being valid. How about instead of whining like a little bitch about that the the 'official' rules were not met, just call it for what it is - she's the youngest to do what she did. Celebrate it, call it a record, and stop acting like a douche. A tall order, we know.
But who cares what he says? We think, and we bet most of you do too, that Jessica kicked ass, will meet the definitions of being the youngest person to sail solo, non-stop and unassisted around the world, and deserves official recognition for it. Screw the wankers who claim otherwise.
05/06/10

Chamelion
09-05-2010, 06:41 PM
She proved hundreds of thousands if not millions of people wrong... Flipping the bird to all who expressed negative opinions must be worth far more than an official title... Or perhaps I'm just feeling a little petty today?

toecutter
09-05-2010, 06:56 PM
hear, hear! Who could possibly forget the "She hit the ship" fiasco lol

sleepygreg
09-05-2010, 10:19 PM
whether it is written in the 'Official' records....well according to one particular sailng body...or just as a statement of fact based on performance. She has done everything she has set out to do, with a well published set of guidelines (KPI's) prior to the attempt, that are recognised by the wider sailing community. When she approached the WSSRC (or whatever they call themselves) she was told they wouldnt recognise the record because they dont award records to people under the age of 18. They mightn't.....but the public knows what she has achieved. And just WHO is going to be dockside to congratulate her on her return....the current record holder...Jesse Martin. I dont believe there has been any subterfuge or false claims about her attempt..it has all been up front and so well publicised. She did (or will have this saturday) what she set out to do...nothing more nothing less...and entertained a lot of people from around the globe along the way with her blogs and reports. I believe she has also inspired people both young and old to persue their dreams...and her encouragement of others that are on the water at the same time...Abbey Sunderland and the indian guy...cant remember his name. Rather than slag off at them....she is encouraging them and talking them up. This girl is a true credit to herself, her family and her country. I hope she makes a squillion out of it...though she will probably only get enough to put herself through UNI (which is no small $).

Greg

Apollo
10-05-2010, 06:38 AM
Greg

I am not questioning her efforts and what she was promoting herself/goal, but rather what she is saying NOW. To say that it never mattered or she always knew she wouldn't be granted the record is what I have an issue with. She had a plan, she stuck to the plan and it very much looks like she will do it. I feel it is bad form and she should have stuck to her guns that she is the youngest to claim the record and let the others argue. What she is saying now is disrespectful. It doesn't though take away from her achievement.

I hope she finishes her trip safely and she deserves all the cheers on her arrival.

Steve

Grand_Marlin
10-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Maybe she should do a lap of honour to silence the critics :shocked:

Marlin_Mike
10-05-2010, 12:36 PM
I was one of her early critics. I now think what she ahs done is incredible. To the wankers who say she wont get the record........Pi** off, no one cares what you reckon WSSRC or whatever you are.

I only have one issue with her trip...the word "Unassisted". She has cameras onboard, people check things out tell her what needs fixing etc etc............... that in my book is "assisted". Otherwise good on her I say.

Mike

Steeler
10-05-2010, 12:45 PM
I was one of her early critics. I now think what she ahs done is incredible. To the wankers who say she wont get the record........Pi** off, no one cares what you reckon WSSRC or whatever you are.

I only have one issue with her trip...the word "Unassisted". She has cameras onboard, people check things out tell her what needs fixing etc etc............... that in my book is "assisted". Otherwise good on her I say.

Mike

Me too and my very large piece of humble pie

Thunderace2
10-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Maybe she should do a lap of honour to silence the critics :shocked:

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: , Gold !!!

GBC
10-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Anyone who's ever done it knows all good yacht races finish in a commitee room with rule books at five paces...............tools.

Good on you Jess (and team), a marvellous achievement in anyone's books.

Apollo
10-05-2010, 06:53 PM
I agree Mike, they should butt out and Jessica and team should stick to their guns if they believe they have done enough. The public will be the judge and I am pretty sure they would have a similar thought to me. She went around and crossed the equator twice - sounds like an around the world trip to me.

Steve

Lovey80
10-05-2010, 08:03 PM
These guys are tools. She should take a 2000km or so detour towards NZ and back just to stick it up them. Do one more KM than required just out of spite.

Cheers

chris

black runner
10-05-2010, 08:40 PM

Mike

The unassisted question is an interesting one. With the advancement in electronics/communications, weather forecasting, boating equipment, rescue capability, I suppose over time these quests become relatively easier to achieve.

Not belittling the achievment by any stretch, but how would it be doing the same thing with limited comms (read solitude/support), nav aids, and weather forecasting.

Congratulation to her, she's certainly knows what she wants from life and goes for it. Everything else from now will seem like a walk in the park unless she choses to raise the bar.

finding_time
10-05-2010, 10:01 PM
The unassisted question is an interesting one. With the advancement in electronics/communications, weather forecasting, boating equipment, rescue capability, I suppose over time these quests become relatively easier to achieve.

Not belittling the achievment by any stretch, but how would it be doing the same thing with limited comms (read solitude/support), nav aids, and weather forecasting.

Congratulation to her, she's certainly knows what she wants from life and goes for it. Everything else from now will seem like a walk in the park unless she choses to raise the bar.

With regards to the above , when your 1500nm from the nearest land, the wind hit's 60 knots and the sea's are 12+meters and your boat has just been knocked down so far that the top of your mast is under water, having the best radio and comunications in the world mean jack shite! But yes Radio's help but the accuracy of medern weather forecasts help even more and having a good weather router will keep you out of alot of issues, mind you there are a few places where there is nowhere to run and Cape Horn and the Southern Ocean sth of the Australian Mainland spring to mind! and how far back do you go with these things??? Sailors from the year dot have always used whats available to make the passage both safer and faster do you think the guys that first used a sextant got grief from the dead reckoning crowd????

Onto the Sailworld artical......... It was just in poor taste and it timming had sour grapes all over it and i can assure all there copping heaps from the sailing community all over the world!! Jessica has completed almost 23000 nm but the way they calculate it is in straight lines eg cape horn to cape of good hope but since when has any sail boat gone in a straight line!! There is one artical online atm that has gone through alot of recent round the world attempts and they have worked out using the same formula as sailworld did for jessica that Kay Cottee actually a few NM short aswell,, get real!! The record in dispute is actually a WSSRC World Speed Sailing record circumnanigation, and that why there is a distance componet, She was never attempting to be the fastest but she has completed every other component of the route, she done it in my book !! And lets face it because of her age she was unable to hold that record anyway as the WSSRC dont recognise underage attempts :wink: It just goes to show what a shit piece Artical it was by Sail World anyway, and to think the author is a brisbane girl!!!! Tall Poppy syndrome is alive and well in Aus!!

Ian

Ps. I do have an issue with why Jessica is still out there she could have easily finish today but there keeping her out there till saturday so she comes in to a harbour full of supporters, it's tempting fate abit in my humble opinion. She should just sail straight in, she would still get a crown but it may not be as big , maye this was channel Tens decission but when you sell your soul to the devil......

PPS.

Apollo

He's a response from Jessica's team to the artical!

THE FACTS ABOUT JESSICA’S VOYAGE
05-May-2010

On behalf of Jessica and her team, we appreciate the many enquiries we have received about Jessica’s journey and feel it appropriate to provide a formal response to the claims that Jessica has not travelled far enough to claim the World Speed Sailing Racing Council (WSSRC) record, for being the youngest person to sail solo, non-stop and unassisted around the world.

Firstly, it is very important to note that the WSSRC do not recognise any voyages from sailors under the age of 18. As such, Jesse Martin’s WSSR certificate of recognition cannot ever be challenged in the context of the WSSRC criteria. As a result of the WSSR decision to discontinue recognition of age related journeys, there is no official body to recognise Jessica’s feat and therefore no official body’s rules that need to be adhered to.

The facts are as follows.

Jessica has sailed a southern hemisphere solo circumnavigation. There are some basic key requirements that she must adhere to.

‘To sail around the world, a vessel must start from and return to the same point, must cross all meridians of longitude and must cross the Equator’.

Jessica has ticked all of these boxes.

Jessica has sailed the most challenging and treacherous oceans of the world, passing the four capes (Cape Horn, Cape Agulhas, Cape Leeuwin and the Cape of SE Tasmania) and crossed the Equator twice. She has sailed around the world, non-stop, solo, unassisted and when she completes the voyage, she will be the youngest to have done that, sailing almost 23,000 nautical miles in the process. We have official TracPlus data to confirm Jessica’s exact distance upon her return, which currently sits at 22,336 nautical miles.

Jessica has never intended to claim the WSSRC certificate of recognition. Jessica and all her team are well aware that the WSSRC do not recognise voyages for those under the age of 18. She has, however, always wanted to achieve her goal of sailing around the world non-stop, solo and unassisted before her 17th birthday and therefore be the youngest person in the world to have done so.

Please note that Jesse Martin (current youngest to sail solo around the world unassisted) and the UK’s Mike Perham (current youngest to sail around the world solo, assisted) will be at the finish line in Sydney to congratulate Jessica when she arrives.

Jessica has stated the route and information on her website right from the start and all of the facts of her route have been well documented for over 12 months now.

We are pleased to be able to formally respond to this now and hope this clarifies any concerns from her supporters.

We feel Jessica has every right to enjoy the impending accolades and celebrate being the youngest person to sail solo around the world, non-stop and unassisted, when she sails back into Sydney Harbour on the weekend of 15-16 May.

Today marks day 200 of Jessica’s voyage.

-END-

finding_time
10-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Oh and i forgot, Go Jessica , your a Bloody legend!

Apollo
11-05-2010, 07:25 AM
Jessica has never intended to claim the WSSRC certificate of recognition. Jessica and all her team are well aware that the WSSRC do not recognise voyages for those under the age of 18.

-END-

Ian

This is the only bit I have issue with. She and her team promoted this trip as her getting the title and she said she wanted to smash Jesse Martin' record. This is the story sold to the public and sponsors.

Now the story has changed.

Steve

finding_time
11-05-2010, 07:41 AM
Steve

I think it was always going to be a Media event so to speak! And yes she's at this point the youngest to do it, but they have always known that it will not be recognised, this was raised many many times before she left when people were trying to get the attempts stopped by kids at that time the WSSRC made it very clear they didn't support it! It's what annoys me most about Sailworlds artical, they know it was always going to be an unrecognised yet they point out it broke the rules, HOW CAN YOU HAVE RULES ON AN UNRECOGNISED ATTEMPT?

Noelm
11-05-2010, 08:09 AM
regardless of if it recognised or not, I am going to zip out and give her a wave when she passes my area, and from way back before she ever set off, I was one of the few that reckoned she would do it and do it easy, she has a great boat and excellent shore based backup.

finding_time
11-05-2010, 08:18 AM
If i wasn't away this weekend Noel i would fly down a hitch a ride, she deserves all the support we in Australia can muster!

Mindi
11-05-2010, 08:34 AM
I think she has done really really well...congratulations to her. Some would call me a previous naysayer for my concerns about her preparedness before the voyage and when she had the collision...those concerns were valid and justified IMHO. The fact that she has pulled it off doesnt change the truth of that or prove anyone "wrong".... whatever that thinking is, it doesnt involve logic.
The argument about "assisted" because of technology is pretty thin.... do you want her to navigate with a sextant, chronometer and almanac... I dont think so.
The record breaking whinge issue is pretty thin too.... presumably had they been aware or interested they could have had her do the extra miles...if she did the tough distances in the Southern latitudes she wouldnt have had a lot of trouble going north a bit further and back....I suspect they didnt know and it got under their guard.
Where I think some people are perhaps being naive is in the motivation... this is a commercial TV and book exercise...professionally managed...well executed...etc etc...
At a personal level it's a great achievement for a young girl...congratulations to her...no matter how or why it was organised she had to do the single handed sailing and she smashed it.... mainly I am glad the trip ran more smoothly than the warm up.

I am not really concerned about a mature 16yr old doing this.... but there is a danger of escalation where in the future will we see younger and younger kids being allowed..then pushed ...into these trips and then it starts to look ugly.

ThePinkPanther
11-05-2010, 10:37 AM
I'm on the girls side all the way and sure as hell wouldn't have the courage to do likewise but in so saying it has to be remembered that she had/has enormous levels of support, even up to having her routes planned for her by "helpers" (Kiernan) and triple checked for accuracy, tremendous weather advisory services leading her every step of the way to ensure she gets into no trouble and - thanks to Furuno - the latest and greatest in electronics to ensure the same mistakes are not made again.

Kay Cottey had none of this and - though older - did it tuffer than Jessica.

But is it bad to get all the help available? Probably not but it must be nice and very reassuring for her that she is being watched and assisted every step of the way.

Still, if she were my daughter, I would be damn proud of her and most probably be glad she had so many experienced sailors sitting on her shoulder all the way.

Well done my gal!

finding_time
11-05-2010, 11:39 AM
I really dont understand why her achievments are being dragged down because of the fact shes used a weather router??? She's sailed around the world in a little over 200 days yes she did less miles than Jesse Martin but add another 30 days to make up the differance and she would have completed her trip in 240 days as oppossed to Jesse of arount 340 days the point i'm making is that jessica has REALLY SAILED WELL!! She has averaged almost 5 knots for the trip in an S&S 34:shocked: she has been far from a lame duck just being guided by the folks back home. We all know that weather forcasting is not the accurate even off brisbane how accurate do you think it is in the bottom of the indian ocean?? And to think that she AVOIDED all the bad weather because of advice back home is just silly. To put her sailing effort into perspective the other girl doing this has a boat that can go about 4 times as fast as jessicas yet she got a slower average.

If you have todays courier mail read Leisa Scotts artical on page29 it really put the issues into perspective. If you cant read it she basically says all offshore racers use weather routing and we dont diminish what they do???
I'm not having ago at Jesse Martin but Jessica sail the pants of him , he even took 3 weeks to get around the Horn any many believe a piece of drift wood would have made a faster rounding , so it's really really tough down there and she did it and did it well.

Noelm
11-05-2010, 11:46 AM
hhmm didn't know she averaged 5knots, that may seem slow to us outboard folk, but I can tell you, that average over such a huge distance is quite remarkable, and the S&S 34 (Sparkman and Stevens) is a fantastic rough weather boat.

trymyluck
11-05-2010, 01:50 PM
I've got to admit I can understand where Steve(Apollo) is coming from. It also seemed to me that they were going back on what they stated.

IMO Jessica has got the record and her support crew should have come out all guns blasing and stated that she has completed the circum-navigation according to the rules and whether its reconised by the this mob or not she holds the record. She has my vote.

Mister
11-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Wouldn't matter some would complain regardless of the end result. A bit of bad blood with some on this one. Some people are like this just plain downright negative.

The real nobodies will be the pollies who tried 2 bob each way, bleated at the start of it with unfounded political advice and now should keep their nose out of it entirely.

Apollo
11-05-2010, 07:06 PM
I don't think it is fair to compare Jesse's trip to Jessica's. Different time and weather. To say one sailed the pants off the other is not a fair statement and isn't respectful to either of these brave young person's great effort. Parked in the doldrums or working into a headwind for weeks on end puts the brakes on any average. I have done the Pittwater - Coffs race over a dozen times and have done it in times ranging fro 30hrs to 70hrs, Doesn't meant we were better in one of the other - just faced diffrent conditions. In Jessica's and Jesse's case, it wasn't a race, but rather a challenge. I read Lionheart (Jesse's book) and I look forward to reading the guaranteed Jessica's book.

For the record, I don't have a problem with the 'unassisted' aspect of her trip.

Steve

finding_time
11-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Steve

i reread my post and i wasn't trying to belittle Jesse trip at all ( although it appears i did, woops!) , just trying to point out that Jessica has really really sailed well her average speed is awesome in that boat. I was just trying to let people know that this girl can sail and is just not a puppet for the onshore weather routers who are telling her where to go and which sheet to pull!

Ian

brisbane_boy
11-05-2010, 09:49 PM
yeh she can sail alrite and has done great, since this was a spectator sport following the blog all the way and checking in on the good capt site for no event there and jessie martins name is popping up ill just say i enjoyed his trip more, it had a rawness to it and he was on the verge of madness by the end, times have changed a lot with communications. i dont think he was at the beginning as good a sailor but his true grit was more inspiring to me anyway, anyway shes done great and itll be interestin to see the frenzy that follows

black runner
11-05-2010, 10:15 PM
I don't believe anyone on here is belittling or dragging down Jessicas achievment. I have been following the journey on her web site and with one of my daughters around the same age had everything crossed that all would end well. I also don't have a problem with the unassisted aspect of the journey, just commenting that new technology and comms, if one chooses to use it, helps reduce the risk of a serious/disasterous mishap and therefore improves the chances of a successful outcome.

The ability to stay "connected" real time via the web cannot be underestimated from a psychological heath standpoint. There have been many who have "cracked" when faced with the reality of a solitary existance and at the other extreme there are those who fall in love with it and can't face the return to the masses.

All that aside, you still have to sail the boat single handed in sometimes treacherous conditions while keeping yourself healthy and that she has done exceptionally well.

Noelm
12-05-2010, 09:22 AM
I guess to a point, you need to have done some long distance boating/sailing yourself to even get a vague idea of what is really involved, let alone doing it all on your own (even though she has "phone" help) I have done heaps of long trips on yachts and I can assure you, it gets pretty spooky in the middle of the night when it is a bit blowy and you are in charge, and that is with a few others on board (but asleep), so to be totaly alone would be really spooky, especially when you consider she might be halfway across between continents, with no one for god knows how many miles in any direction, sure there is/was an element of risk involved, but so what, there is also a risk driving to work every day, good on her I reckon.

Noelm
12-05-2010, 09:25 AM
I might add, I guess there would be plenty of times when the weather is good and you are on your own, that there would not be a better place to be, no one to please but yourself, no schedule to keep, no special time for lunch, just do what you want, wear what you want, sing your favorite song at the top of your lungs, or sit in a corner and just think about whatever takes your fancy.

Mister
13-05-2010, 09:32 AM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=155501&highlight=watson

Well worth a read :grin:

Noelm
13-05-2010, 09:46 AM
yep, there was quite a few nay sayers back then huh! don't know if any have changed their minds yet, or can give credit where credit is due, but she has proved a lot of people wrong, and even more with egg on their faces!

finding_time
13-05-2010, 11:46 AM
I personally like this one, little bit over the top Scotty!

Originally Posted by Scott nthQld http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?p=1077385#post1077385)
Stupid little girl I'm afraid, MSQ released a statement yesterday saying that she was the one at fault, due to her lack of experience, and that she should not be doing it....here's a sure fire way to stop her....Charge her for the marine accident.

She shouldn't be doing it full stop, She lacks the experience, maturity and common sense to come out of it alive. At least mummy and Daddy will get a big paypacket out of it which ever way it goes.

I wonder who will be footing either the rescue, or recovery bills when this does go pear shaped!

I think i'm still on Scotty's ignore list so he wont see this post, but imho this was typical of the time when people were reacting to what they heard about this girl in the media , and at times that was very very wrong!

IAN

davez104
13-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Maybe. Sure she can sail a boat, navigate etc etc, but if thing went really bad out there, would she have the life experience to make the right decisions? I doubt it. People as young as Jessica setting off to do things like this are always going to carry a lot more risk than someone with more experience. I am happy that she has made it around, but wonder how this conversation would be going had it not ended like this. It could easily have been a tragedy.

Kudos to her for doing what she has done, but don't for a second overlook that earlier incident and the implications it could have had if it had happened during the voyage. And don't pat yourselves on the back too hard just because you turned out to be on the winning side of the argument this time, the shoe could very easily have been on the other foot.

Dave.

finding_time
13-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Maybe. Sure she can sail a boat, navigate etc etc, but if thing went really bad out there, would she have the life experience to make the right decisions? I doubt it. People as young as Jessica setting off to do things like this are always going to carry a lot more risk than someone with more experience. I am happy that she has made it around, but wonder how this conversation would be going had it not ended like this. It could easily have been a tragedy.

Kudos to her for doing what she has done, but don't for a second overlook that earlier incident and the implications it could have had if it had happened during the voyage. And don't pat yourselves on the back too hard just because you turned out to be on the winning side of the argument this time, the shoe could very easily have been on the other foot.

Dave.

Here we go again!! Why do Australians have to drag poeple down??

Dave

What your basically saying is she just got lucky !!!

And how could things have just as easily gone wrong???

Just to let you in on some info mate, she just didn't sail around the world in 15 knots of breeze, Nth east of the Faulklands Islands she had the whole kitchen sink and more thrown at her and Made all the right decissions! During the last month the Sth Ocean has made her life anything but easy as she traversed south of australia and she made all the right decissions, dont belittle her achievment by alluding she got lucky.And yes some of us on here backed her to get through and she did! Now take a look at the original post and look who backed her , many had offshore sailing experience and were basing her chance on the real facts of knowing whats it like out there, the type of boat she was in , her previous experience ( she had a fair bit but there's only one way to get more and now she's a very very experienced offshore sailor). Many off the knockers didn't have the background to make a fair assessment and relied on Mass media reports( a very dangerous thing)

Ian

davez104
13-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Whatever, just keep shooting anyone who's opinions don't align with yours.

I never said she got lucky, but maybe she did. Sure things got tough out there, as anyone would expect them to. They could have gotten a lot worse too. I'm not going to go into all the possible scenarios as there are hundreds. But when the crap really hits the fan, life experience can make a huge difference to our ability to quickly assess a situation and determine the best course of action, sailing ability has jack to do with it.

My intention was not to drag her down, I'm glad she has made it back to Australia and I acknowledge the skills that she has acquired to do what she has done, for a 16 year old it is truly remarkable. But the risks were there, they were real, it could have gone the other way.

It's very easy to stand on your soapbox and belittle others now that the race is won, not so easy to be humble in victory and accept that others don't agree with you.

Dave.

Apollo
13-05-2010, 02:08 PM
Ian

Probably 'lucky' isn't the right phase, but she was fortunate (and I, like pretty much all of us, am happy about that) that she faced non extreme conditions early in her trip and that this allowed her to build her confidence and skills that was needed when she face the tougher conditions ('the kitcken sink') later on in her trip.

This is not a criticism, but more of a welcome observation. As Dave said, it could have been much worst but we are all grateful that it wasn't.

I agree with you 100% that she is now a very experienced sailor and this was demonstrated in the last stages of her trip.

Steve

finding_time
13-05-2010, 03:07 PM
I not trying to drag people down but, i do have issues with statements like, " It wasn't a real attempt because she had access to a sat phone and internet" or " She's lucky the weather was kind " to me when you add riders like that into post it cheapens what she has achieved!

Ian

trymyluck
13-05-2010, 04:41 PM
I think that a lot of the people that were of the opinion that she wouldn't make it out of Australian waters let alone around the world made the assumption that this was never really her voyage and that she was being encouraged to do it from people around her. I think she has now proved that this was very much her dream for if her heart had not been in it she would have been back in port a long time ago. The maturity she showed when she had the incident with the ship gave most people that first clue as to her chances of completing the voyage. Shows true character when you F#@k up and still have the courage to say lets learn from it and move on.

Well done Jess.

tunaticer
13-05-2010, 05:24 PM
My opinion when she set sail on her crusade was that there is an above average chance that she will be needing rescuing somewhere in her journey at great costs to somebody and possibly her life. I did not think that she should not try for the record though and wished her well.
Now that she has made her journey safely and almost home I am glad she acheived what she has done and hope the remainder of her trip goes easily and safely to the end.
Would I encourage anybody to do this trip again? NO.
Would I talk of her as a hero and her voyage as something to be bettered? NO.
Would I watch in interest of somebody does the same journey again? YES, it is always good to see a young person develop skills that change thier lives and their futures.
I wish Jess well for her future whatever avenue she takes, But i do not want anyone to emulate her voyage for any reason and risk thier lives doing so.

PinHead
13-05-2010, 05:54 PM
I was against her going...good on her for completing the trip.
BUT...I get sick and tired of these hero and legend tags..she is neither and never will be.
She completed something she wanted to do..copngratulations to her but will it change anyones life other than her own..I doubt it.

There are a lot of kids of her age doing things that are a lot tougher than anything she has faced.

Horse
13-05-2010, 05:58 PM
It looks like she will make it home safe and sound to great public applause. She had the book deal set before she left and the Glossies won't be able to leave her alone. She will be set for life from this stunt and good luck to her. It took a lot of guts to take a vessel into those waters and there was always an element of risk attached to the attempt. Luckily she did not get into any serious trouble and will make it home to reap her well earned rewards.
I do however disagree with the fans who are holding her up a a glowing example of master seamanship. She sailed into the side of the Silver Yang on her trip to Sydney. How many other people can claim this distinction of colliding at sea? It was only the actions of the ship which meant this was a glancing blow rather than a full on collision.
I wish her well for the future but I certainly hope her massive media profile does not encourage other young inexperinced kids to take on the same stunt

gr hilly
13-05-2010, 06:09 PM
i said i would not let any of my three daughters do what this gutsy little darling has done .funny i said that because i saw one of my daughters join the A.D.F two yrs in and iraq she came home a big girl.hilly

Horse
13-05-2010, 06:42 PM
i said i would not let any of my three daughters do what this gutsy little darling has done .funny i said that because i saw one of my daughters join the A.D.F two yrs in and iraq she came home a big girl.hilly

Now there is a someone to be admired. You must be very proud

Mister
14-05-2010, 01:02 PM
I do however disagree with the fans who are holding her up a a glowing example of master seamanship. She sailed into the side of the Silver Yang on her trip to Sydney. How many other people can claim this distinction of colliding at sea?

Yeah I now hear the Chinese master seaman are practicing on the GBR, no glancing blows from now on hey :grin:

Nay sayers :rolleyes:

cormorant
14-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Its a media crapfest.

She has sailed as slow as possible up the coast is hove to just over the horizon off Sydney awaiting her 11am arrival time conveniently on a Saturday!! . Just hope she has learnt and is out of the shipping channel and has warning ystem on and checked the radar reflector is still up the mast. Her media refuse to say where she is as they are trying to make it a dramatic evening in a Huuuuuuuggggeee 3m long rolling swell ( yep nothing) . She came onto decks when she heard a helicopter this morning , as it was the wrong channel and she diddn't know as her media advisers wern't expecting anyone to find her. She waved etc . I bet if her advisors knew they would have told her to stay below decks!!!!!

She has achieved something but nothing like the people the media and her supporters are comparing her to like some who have gone before her.

Maybe her parents and media people have achieved what they want.

They can't have a engine sponser as the latest media is telling of her marvelous inovation repairing a cantankerous motor repeatably - more drama to add to the story.

Good lick to her but she won't get a dollar or eyeball time from me thanks to her media or the media in general.

Hope she lodged her naplan test!!!!

More spin than Kevvy - now that is a achievement for her backers and media team.

Mister
14-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Tall poppy syndrome is alive and ever so well :cheesy:

Steve B
14-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Its a media crapfest.

She has sailed as slow as possible up the coast is hove to just over the horizon off Sydney awaiting her 11am arrival time conveniently on a Saturday!! . Just hope she has learnt and is out of the shipping channel and has warning ystem on and checked the radar reflector is still up the mast. Her media refuse to say where she is as they are trying to make it a dramatic evening in a Huuuuuuuggggeee 3m long rolling swell ( yep nothing) . She came onto decks when she heard a helicopter this morning , as it was the wrong channel and she diddn't know as her media advisers wern't expecting anyone to find her. She waved etc . I bet if her advisors knew they would have told her to stay below decks!!!!!

She has achieved something but nothing like the people the media and her supporters are comparing her to like some who have gone before her.

Maybe her parents and media people have achieved what they want.

They can't have a engine sponser as the latest media is telling of her marvelous inovation repairing a cantankerous motor repeatably - more drama to add to the story.

Good lick to her but she won't get a dollar or eyeball time from me thanks to her media or the media in general.

Hope she lodged her naplan test!!!!

More spin than Kevvy - now that is a achievement for her backers and media team.

Cormerant, Mate I have agreed with plenty of your posts over the years, but this is a bit harsh

Media hype or not, the girl has sailed around the f&^cking world.!!!! I know fully grown men that crap their pants 5mile offshore.

Hats off to her. regardless of, media, promotion or whatever...I was originally one of the 'doubters'...plenty of us were....but I am prepared to eat humble pie...

good on ya Jessica. you have done something NO ONE ON AUSFISH has..... In my eyes now, she is a true aussie pioneer...beit that of the modern age. She is a great positive inspirational role model for youngsters, and particuarly girls....geez most of the so called 'role model' for young girls on TV these days are bitching twits on some 'I wanna be famous' reallity shows.

steve

trymyluck
14-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Cormerant, Mate I have agreed with plenty of your posts over the years, but this is terrible.

Media or not, the girl has sailed around the f&^cking world.!!!! I know fully grown men that crap their pants 5mile offshore.

Hats off to her. regardless of, media, promotion or whatever...I was originally one of the 'doubters'...plenty of us were....but I am prepared to eat humble pie...

good on ya Jessica. you have done something NO ONE ON AUSFISH has.....until you others can claim a similar or better feat....leave the girl alone. In my eyes now, she is a true aussie pioneer...beit that of the modern age.

steve

Mate

Well said, glad I wasn't the only one pissed off.
I had too walk away earlier and go down the shed and smash a few things. Its easy to belittle the efforts of others that have a go at something, even if they fail it is better then not having a go. Yes there were risks but they seemed to have identified the risks, and had procedures ready if those risks became real. Yes it has become a media event but that is not Jessica is not to blame for that, people have become interested in her voyage and good on em. Why wouldn't you pay to hear first hand some of her experiences, I know I would.

I would be proud to meet her, even prouder to know her.

Mark

Pedro Jnr
15-05-2010, 06:48 AM
This girl is F#$KING AMAZING!!!!! Us softies keep the boat in the shed if the BOM call a 15 - 20 knoter!

Maybe we should all give our boats away to teenage girls and we can all go out and buy some spice girls cd's, new clothes and text each other!!! lol

Cheers,
Pedro Jnr

ozscott
15-05-2010, 08:24 AM
She has done fantastically - but I fee for her; the first person she meets after the customs guy is Kevin Rudd.

Cheers

Blackened
15-05-2010, 10:54 AM
She has done fantastically - but I fee for her; the first person she meets after the customs guy is Kevin Rudd.

Cheers

G'day

I'd rather meet KRudd than Captain Bligh that soon after... infact, If it were me, i'd send the old witch for a swim......

But seriously, This young lady is Incredible. All of you should admire her and respect her efforts, it's been no mean feat.

How many of you would have the intestinal fortitude to do it? I think I would, however i'd probably go a bit mental....

Well done Jess.

Dave

krill
15-05-2010, 03:32 PM
This young lady is Incredible. All of you should admire her and respect her efforts, it's been no mean feat.

Hang on. It's one thing for you to admire and respect her efforts, but an entirely different thing for everybody else to have to too.

Four TV channels covering this live! All goes to prove we are developing into a nation of trivia obsessed people.

I could not give a hoot which person is next to:

(1) sail around the world solo
(2) climb Mount Everest in stubbies
(3) walk to the poles or
(4) ride the Dakar on a postie.

The is absolutely no shortage of people who are willing to risk their lives for financial reward or otherwise. In motorsport the kiddies start risking their necks racing nowadays when they are knee high.

I think I'll save my admiration or respect for the next person who develops a non-patented cure for a serious disease through countless years of skilled work and dedication, then shares the benefits at no cost with the world, as has happened many times in the history of humankind.

Taroona
15-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Hang on. It's one thing for you to admire and respect her efforts, but an entirely different thing for everybody else to have to too.

Four TV channels covering this live! All goes to prove we are developing into a nation of trivia obsessed people.

(3) walk to the poles or

The is absolutely no shortage of people who are willing to risk their lives for financial reward or otherwise. In motorsport the kiddies start risking their necks racing nowadays when they are knee high.

I think I'll save my admiration or respect for the next person who develops a non-patented cure for a serious disease through countless years of skilled work and dedication, then shares the benefits at no cost with the world, as has happened many times in the history of humankind.

What like the flu vaccine that wasn't even tested and given to little kids

Taroona
15-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Iv'e just watched the return of Jessica on TV and have nothing but admiration for what she has acheived

krill
15-05-2010, 03:52 PM
What like the flu vaccine that wasn't even tested and given to little kids

Yep, don't bother getting vaccinated against anything. Just get a copy of Watson's book, that'll see you right.

Blackened
15-05-2010, 03:52 PM

(3) walk to the poles or

G'day

Note the word "Should" , not "Must"

;)

Dave

trymyluck
15-05-2010, 05:01 PM

(3) walk to the poles or

Whats wrong with giving credit to people when they have achieved something good in their lives, what sort of message would we be giving if nobody turned up to welcome her back. Don't bother doing anything because nobody gives a hoot???????????? Maybe she should have just stayed in port and have a go at drugs or got herself pregnant just so some people don't have to feel so inadequate????

gr hilly
15-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Now there is a someone to be admired. You must be very proud
yes mate i did not ever thing i would cry.i am proud she rang me each week i could hear bombs mate thanks for your words.glynn

gr hilly
15-05-2010, 06:17 PM
KRILL WHAT HAVE YOU DONE IN YOUR LITTLE WORLD.

hilly

siegfried
15-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Kevin Rudd referred to her as a hero, she must have staged a successfull invasion of the Gallipoli penensula while she was away, what a tool, anyway I was not an avid supporter of her jaunt and still think it a ridiculous stunt. Anyway she made it now she will get a few bob and work towards world peace:LOL:

gr hilly
15-05-2010, 07:19 PM
i switched the tv off when crud the worm turned up.
hilly

krill
15-05-2010, 07:29 PM
KRILL WHAT HAVE YOU DONE IN YOUR LITTLE WORLD.

Hey, build a shrine to Watson if you like, free country.

I only got my hackles up once it was said we "should" all admire her and respect her efforts.

I just can't admire or respect something which is pointless, and dangerous.

Like the poor bloke who tried kayaking to NZ and died 35nm short.

Maybe if it was space exploration or other voyages of discovery I could warm to it. Otherwise, it's just risk taking for cash.

To those who respect and admire this, I pose these questions:

(1) Will you support a 15 year old doing this?
(2) Will you support a 14 year old doing this?
(3) Will you support a 13 year old doing this?

And so forth.

jake0
15-05-2010, 07:43 PM

I only got my hackles up once it was said we "should" all admire her and respect her efforts.

Maybe if it was space exploration or other voyages of discovery I could warm to it. Otherwise, it's just risk taking for cash.

And so forth.

very well said, who is she anyways???????:grin::grin::grin:

Marlin_Mike
15-05-2010, 07:52 PM
The telecast lost me when they said she ahd gone downstairs in the yacht to "get changed into some dry clothes"..................fully emblazoned with One HD logo Jesse Martin ahd just taken on board...............and Krudd had to get his melon on the screen.

Good on her anyway..................but please, DONT use the word HERO. Our Defence Forces are heroes, Anzacs are heros. A solo yachtswoman is NOT a hero.

IMHO only.
Mike

Black_Rat
15-05-2010, 08:39 PM
The telecast lost me when they said she ahd gone downstairs in the yacht to "get changed into some dry clothes"..................fully emblazoned with One HD logo Jesse Martin ahd just taken on board...............and Krudd had to get his melon on the screen.

Good on her anyway..................but please, DONT use the word HERO. Our Defence Forces are heroes, Anzacs are heros. A solo yachtswoman is NOT a hero.

IMHO only.
Mike

True ! she's not a hero, going on a limb here? Where ARE the so called blokes ?????????????????????????????

trymyluck
15-05-2010, 09:14 PM

And so forth.

Risk taking for cash??????

Isn't so much of life just that. Taking risks. And pointless????? well if she earns a bucket of cash from it good for her. Not so pointless after all. And most exploration and voyages of discovery were all about the reward at the end of it, be it cash, recognition or fame.

siegfried
15-05-2010, 09:40 PM

IMHO only.
Mike
Amen to that
BTW didnt that nob head in the canoe leave a wife and kid/s behind..selfishC^#t

Blackened
15-05-2010, 09:56 PM

IMHO only.
Mike

G'day

Spot on Mike, KRudd, chose the wrong words... and those of you would have seen her "shoot down the PM" by saying she disagrees with him and the use of the word hero. She's quite humble.

Let's face it, she's has a pretty big dream, prepped herself right for years previous, surrounded herself with the right gear, people and mentors and then put in the hard work herself to pull it off. Good on her.

Dave