PDA

View Full Version : Great Day

Reel Blue
23-01-2010, 07:32 PM
I have been having a ball learning about trolling skirted lures over the summer season and today the learning curve got a bit steeper with some great advice from Mitch Culcutt who was a guest on my boat for the day. Mitch makes 'Blacks Snacks' lures which I have been using almost exclusively for the last few weeks. He gave invaluable advice on lure positioning, trolling speed, knots and rigs and a multitude of other aspects of gamefishing.

The day started with a nice dollie that my son Sam caught and was quickly followed up by a wahoo that put up a good fight for his size. We came across a large school of slimies on the surface that refused to take a bait jig so we gave up on that idea and decided to troll skirts in the area. As soon as we put this plan in action a black came up on one of the lures and slapped it with its bill. At first we thought it was a big dollie as it was lit up in such electric blue colours. We only realised it was a black when we saw its bill. It then smashed the lure and hooked up solidy. We then all saw a second marlin come screaming in and hit a second lure and we had two blacks going ballistic at the back of the boat. I know that many experienced marlin fishos will have seen marlin in the spread many times but this was the fisrt time I had seen a marlin before they hit the lures. It is something i won't forget in a hurry.

My fish was smaller and I fought it and got it to the boat where Mitch grabbed its bill for a couple of quick photos. I really wanted to lift it in the boat for some better photos but Sam had already lost well over 300metres of 15kg line on a TLD 30 so we let mine go to go after Sam's.

Sam fought his marlin for a very long time until he was completly exhausted. When we got it to the double Mitch could see that his fish was belly wrapped and called it for 80kg. The marlin kept just out of reach and repeatedly powered down into the depths forcing us to work hard to get it back to the boat. Unfortunately, and probably because the fish was belly wrapped and additional forces were at work, the hook gave up and snapped in half with the marlin just below the boat.

Sam has now hooked and lost three marlin. I told him that when he does land one the previous disappointments will make it all the more special. Thanks Mitch for memorable day!

markbxy
23-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Excellent work guys i dont spose ur mate mitch would be interested in coming out on my rig and teaching me a thing or two been out several times this summer trolling and got nothing went out this morning boat was inthe water at 4am we did 180km of driving about 130km of that was trolling at about 6-7 knots we have tried a lot of rigs x raps to skirts cant seem to get a hook up.
Any help appriciated

sleepygreg
24-01-2010, 02:13 AM
Well done Reel Blue. You did the right thing taking Mitch with you, something many others would be envious of. He knows his stuff. Great pics too.

Greg

Benno1
24-01-2010, 04:11 AM
Geez those dollies are a fantastic looking fish!!! Top stuff RB...cheers for the pics and report :D

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

Fishing_Freddy
24-01-2010, 05:56 AM
Well done, sound like a memorable trip. Its a shame the young fellow lost his but like you say when he lands his first it will be worth it in the end.
Ken :beer:

honda900
24-01-2010, 08:42 AM
nice fish, well done. helps heaps when you get just that little bit of advise on lure spread, patterns and colours.

Regards
HOnda.

MitchCalcutt
24-01-2010, 11:43 AM
thank you Martin and Sam for the day out. In your report you didn't mention that Sam's arms are now 3cm longer, they must be sore today.
That was the best visual hook up I have ever seen as well.
The best advice I can give anyone is, look for structure (reef), dropoff's, current lines with temp changes and when you find a bait school stay on it and don't tell everyone you've found one.

Mitch

Fish_gutz
24-01-2010, 04:29 PM
great read , thanks for the report, I can`t wait to hook one of them Blacks. Cheers Andrew

jtpython
24-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Top Effort for him
JT

wak69
24-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Well done, its great to see the young fella getting stuck into the action, maybe next time for your billy, great report and pics.

cheers
Sam..