PDA

View Full Version : Airlie & Agnes/1770

kingtin
05-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Starting next week, I've got 6 days at Airlie beach and 4 days at 1770/Agnes water. I don't want to take too much gear so can you tell me what tackle will get the best workout from the shore? What's the main target species etc?

Is a day visit to Awoonga worth a visit without a boat?

cheers

kev

krazyfisher
05-01-2010, 03:29 PM
if I could only use one set up it would be a 8kg 7ft spin rod with something like a 8000 stradic 30-50lb braid. GT, queenies, barra most would fall to this combo.

the other combo would be something like a light soft plastic combo, bream, flat head, sooties.

I am sure others will have differant ideas.

Are you driving/flying/bus/train.

kingtin
05-01-2010, 03:45 PM
if I could only use one set up it would be a 8kg 7ft spin rod with something like a 8000 stradic 30-50lb braid. GT, queenies, barra most would fall to this combo.

the other combo would be something like a light soft plastic combo, bream, flat head, sooties.

I am sure others will have differant ideas.

Are you driving/flighting/bus/train.

I'm driving mate. Cheapest quote was $3000 for a 4 berth camper for 10 days so I'm hotelling it at half the price.

kev

krazyfisher
05-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Teemburra is worth a shot without a boat and the upper part of the pioneer river is a nice spot for a drive and to chase sooties.

If you are around the mackay area and needs some directions or spots let me know.

Lucky_Phill
05-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Kev, do a search here and you should find stacks of info.

we ( AF ) do a M & G there every year ( Agnes / 1770 ) and there are landbased options all round.

here is the link to the search page and over 100 posts on the place. Somewhere there will be a map and really good info.

cheers Phill

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/search.php?searchid=1354356

R K HILL
06-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Go to Shute Harbour, get a ferry out to South Molle or Hamilton Is and take a walk around the islands and fish the close reefs, make sure your not near the resorts as there are bugger all fish left in front of them. You can get trout, sweetlip, moses perch, cod, etc landbased from different spots around the islands. Maybe worth a trying floating a Pillie out too. Naturally you will need fairly tough gear for this. If you wanted to spend a few extra dollars, the charters can produce good results at times. The fishing directly around Airlie is poor, but I do believe there are some prehistoric flathead lurking around muddy bay and pioneer bay. Good Luck and let me know how you go ; )