PDA

View Full Version : whiting on poppers

ockoman
24-11-2009, 06:05 PM
ok guys give me the heads up am i on the right track?
iv got 2 poppers bubble pop 45/35 in the clear colour
ill be workn them over the flatts about 40/60/80cm deep
sort of a non stop retrieve depends on what the like at the time
and heres a question does it matter if its overcast or not because iv seemd to noticee when using my rover for bream that overcast is the go so does it matter for whiting?
thanks ockoman

Pete62
24-11-2009, 06:34 PM
I find whiting and bream will be more aggresive towards surface presentations if there is a little wind ruffling the surface.

A stop start (pause) will often get more interest too.

Pete

ockoman
24-11-2009, 07:15 PM
but what popper will go the best the 45 or the 35

Pete62
24-11-2009, 07:54 PM
but what popper will go the best the 45 or the 35

As with any type of artificial, what works will change from day to day, throw one for an hour then change if u r not getting the interest.

Pete

Noelm
25-11-2009, 08:28 AM
stop, start, pause is definately the way to go, especially in shallow water, also I know this is obvious, be sneaky, do not stomp about in your gumboots, flats fishing (especially in highly populated surroundings) needs a quiet approach, I sometimes approach from the deep water and cast towards the shore/flats retreiving into the deeper water.

Tim Robinson
25-11-2009, 09:36 AM
I'm only new to this also but went out with a guy who is landing 40cm fish all the time. He uses a 75mm bassday sugerpop??? something like that. clear with black stripes. Uses a very noisy walk the dog action with splashes etc to "wake em up" At times with a "follow" if the fish doesn't strike he will pause for a moment or try and get the lure moving on the one spot. He has tried many small ones but has not had much of a result so goes back to the biggy. I saw him land an undersized fish on this also so they don't mind the size. I caught some using a 55mm popper and had follows with a sammy 65 that was dark green. Love the action of the sammy and I can cast it a million miles. Need to get a silvery or clear one. The fish either are interested or not. I located a school feeding in about 2 feet of wter last week and nothing I could do would get them to even turn their heads. poppers, sx 40 minnow and tinny soft plastic jigs. just not interested.

ffejsmada
25-11-2009, 09:58 AM
stop, start, pause is definately the way to go,

Sorry, I disagree to the above.

Keep your popper moving, even after a missed strike, you can slow the retrieve down, but keep it moving.

Noelm
25-11-2009, 12:28 PM
I find that (in my area) Whiting in shallow water will almost never respond to a straight retrieve, they will hit the popper a jiffy after it stops nearly every time, so I guess there is no hard and fast rules here, give it a go, try anything and everything, but be stealthy.

ockoman
25-11-2009, 06:37 PM
thanks guys would any of you recommend any poppers for me to use

mittykneale
25-11-2009, 09:39 PM
i to agree with keeping the lure moving expecialy walking the dog plenty of lures metioned by every one all work all depends on the day