PDA

View Full Version : Moreton Squappers and a Sambo

lampuki
15-09-2009, 10:15 AM
With the weather looking so perfect, I decided to take the old man for a fish.

The most memorable thing about the trip were the sights we saw, rather than the fishing itself. There were fields of mac tuna and some long tails thrown in as well. There were plenty of whales around.....great weather, a good father son trip.

The current was awful which made fishing difficult but we managed to get an ok feed. Landed 10 squirey snaps, one reasonable Samson that was killed for the table, and others caught and released.

PAUL-H
15-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Good weather,good company and a feed of fish what more can
u ask for,sounds like a great day had good stuff.
cheers Paul

tfish
15-09-2009, 09:27 PM
gday mate. atleast you got urself a nice feed!! were u fishing wide or in close to moreton. did u fish bait or plastics? im headed that way tomorrow...hopefully current isnt to unfishable. trav

lampuki
16-09-2009, 06:58 AM
Hi Trav.

We fished wide and I landed the ambo on a jig. The snaps/squire were on bait.

Re the current, one of the ausfish members posted the following link.....

http://www.cmar.csiro.au/remotesensing/oceancurrents/Brisbane/latest.html

It would be nice if there was a more zoomed in view.....anyway, all the best and I hope you catch a feed.

Midnight
16-09-2009, 08:47 PM
Gday,
I have been using that same chart for the last 12 months as a poor mans SST.

If you go to "page" in the top right corner of your poota screen and click it to open, then go down to "zoom" and select 400% it will give you some farely accurate data to decipher.

Otherwise subscribe to seasurface.com for really good sea surface temp/colour info plus the current.

Cheers,
Myles

P.S the date and time at the left side of the chart is in UTC. So add 10 hours to that time to read it it local time. Sometimes it can be a day or 2 old, but generally, for free, i reckon it is top notch!

Angla
16-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Lampuki. I don't want to knock you but could the Aj be a Samson? Looks just a little butt headed to be the Aj.

Good pan snapper all the same.

Cheers
Chris

Here's a 120cm model Aj caught on a nuke chook off currimundi

lampuki
17-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Hi Chris.

Not could be, definitely!

I should use the right terminology and not interchange them as I do....just becuase there bag limits are combined does not mean they are the same fish.

They are distinguishable.

Nice AJ btw. I will edit this post.

Mark-P
17-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Nice feed there.. Hows the prowler treating you ??

Mark

lampuki
17-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Hi Mark.

I am finding the hull to be fantastic. One of the most stable mono hulls I have ever been in. Most of the weight is down low...i have fished 4 people from bow to stern in reasonable seas, broadside, and it was very stable. I was stoked!

By default, it wasnt really set up as a fishing rig.....so I have done a lot of customisations. I have replaced all the stainless on the boat and I am going to do a fair bit of customising in the cabin to maximise space.

Once I am finished I plan to write up a thread of what I have done.....who knows another ausfisher may find some of it useful....particualrly the contacts who did some of the work.

How is your prowler going? Have you been getting out there at all?

Mark-P
17-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Remembering mine is only the baby of the 2, i love it !
Havent been outside as yet, still working on getting the
right crew ... But a fair bit of bay stuff to date !

MP

jarhead
19-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Nice feed mate.

Wal