PDA

View Full Version : Donated fishing gear

shayned
06-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Unfortunately, I've misplaced the original thread, hence the new start.

Not long ago one of the members here, Scroman, offered up some unused rods, reels and fishing gear to go to a new home, specifically somewhere it would help, learn to fish or fishability type programs, thankfully Lucky Phil put us in touch and I have been able to take advantage of Troy's kind offer. The gear is on it's way via another member, Herc, and will be very gratefully received.

One of the current projects PRFMA is working on has the potential to see up to 2000 kids a year experience quality angling (many for the first time) in a safe, well stocked area.

One of the challenges this project faces is having adequate and suitable gear to leave stored on site to help the kids take full advantage of the project.

Having been unsuccessful with a grant application to Woolies this year (it was a long shot at best anyway, so no disrespect to Woolies is intended) and unsure where to try next, Troy's offer of the gear was a timely one.

From memory there is about 16 rods and 10 reels, some tackle boxes, handlines and storage gear. This will go a long way towards helping us out and I take my hat off to Troy for being proactive enough to offer to help. We will get the reels serviced and respooled, fortunately another good bloke we know will fix the couple of broken runners (I will have to let him know shortly, that he is helping out yet again;) ) and we will have the start of a pretty good kit for the kids.

So again thanks Troy for your thoughtful act, I'm sure the fishing gods will smile on you!!!!!

Just gotta love the Ausfish community hey??:) :) :)

Cheers,
Shayne

sleepygreg
06-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Shayne...have you tried the same approach to some of the big players in the tackle game that may want the publicity ie that boating camping and fishing mob, maybe the big snake, even shimano, daiwa etc.

When I was doing similar work with the club I was in back in Sydney, we ran disabled fishing days for the kids, days for disadvantaged kids, grey power days (aimed at those in institutionalised care). In conjunction with NSW Fisheries and a couple of other fellow clubs, we had an arsenal of gear that was donated and/or purchased at a discounted rate through the major tackle mobs...and Fisheries put in some $ from their promotional budget. It astounds me that in a state where fishing is its major recreational pastime, these things dont happen. I know times are tough, but I reckon this would be cheap advertising for the main players in the industry...and serve a worthwhile community project.

When I attack my storage unit once the house is built, I am sure there is stuff in there that I can send your way as well.

Always up for helping a worthy cause.

Cheers
Greg

sleepygreg
06-08-2009, 09:22 PM
If your still into it in about six months time (about when I should have the house finished) Put me down as a volounteer to do any fixing of rods reels etc, its part of what I used to do for a living. Happy to donate my time and the cost of parts.

Greg

robersl
06-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Maybe petion some of your local sports and rsl clubs for funding the donate to the community out of the pokie money ect they turn over no harm in writting a few letters and sending them out maybe even get on nuggets show and put the message out on the air to make the fishig community aware of it or email him he may read it out for you

Tailortaker
06-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Where abouts is the program run ?

DR
07-08-2009, 08:32 AM
Gregs comments about the larger tackle companies jogged my memory.. many moons ago I worked for one of the major Tackle companies. When the cheaper end rods were damaged in transit, ie: guides crushed, it was not worth the cost to repair them, so they went in the bin...I used to rabbit through the bins & collect all the fuji guides ;D for myself..Maybe you could enquire to do similar, have your mate repair the guides so they can be used for your charity..

Swindells
07-08-2009, 08:58 AM
If your coming up short mate, why don't you ask some of the Ausfish guys for gear, i have about 5 rod and reel combos and use only a few plus one for my girlfreind, i'd be happy to send you some of my unused gear if needed.

Cheers
Swindells

shayned
07-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Where abouts is the program run ?
This one is based on the north side of Brisbane like most things we do. Although the kids come from all over the place.

Little grey men
07-08-2009, 10:51 AM
If your coming up short mate, why don't you ask some of the Ausfish guys for gear, i have about 5 rod and reel combos and use only a few plus one for my girlfreind, i'd be happy to send you some of my unused gear if needed.

Cheers
Swindells

How much more do we need Shayne ?
I'm pretty sure I could rummage up something half decent with what I have sitting at home. I've got two unused glass rods and a nice little Pflueger spin reel just collecting dust...there must be more as well. What about terminal tackle Shayne ???

C'mon people, who else can help out with this very worthy cause.

Perhaps the mods could make this one a sticky, please

Tailortaker
07-08-2009, 05:14 PM
PM sent Mate

dazza
08-08-2009, 07:48 AM
hi shane,
happy to do a few rod repairs for you, i am not a professional but they come up ok,
what does the major dept stores do with their broken rods, recon freight back to supplier would be more than what they buy for in some cases, anyone got any contacts?
what size hooks etc are you chasing, could you put up a bit of a list, would be happy to donate to your cause
cheers
dazza

shayned
08-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks to Peter4, Tailor Taker and Sulla for the offer of help, I've sent PM's to you with my phone number.

Michael I'll catch up with you shortly.

Dazza and Greg, your help will be much appreciated. I will look into the damaged rod idea that DR floated and see where that leads us.

Ideally, we end up with around 30 kits and a store of tackle for this one.

All going well we have another site up and running in about 2 years that will help another 400 or so kids out each year with a pretty good number of these being our little disabled mates. So if we end up with any gear left over we can put it aside for this one.

Again, a big thank you to everyone that has helped, pretty bloody amazing really.

Lucky_Phill
08-08-2009, 10:49 AM
nice work..... everyone !!!!!

Cheers phill

sandbankmagnet
08-08-2009, 10:24 PM
This is great to see.

It doesn't take much to make a difference in this world for the better. The sooner we realise this the better we will be. Rumours are that Gen Z are going to be back to traditional caring and generous people. Let's hope, because the current generation Y doesn't seem to to care much for anything other than themselves.

Tailortaker
08-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Hopefullt that suggestion I PM'd you will lead to something. I also have a heap of tackle (hooks,sinkers swivels) all unused and still in the packets that I'm happy to donate since I dont use smelly bait anymore;) I got it all cheap when one of our stores burnt down. Some mates have raided it but I think I still have quite a bit there.
Cheers Grant

shayned
15-08-2009, 08:53 PM
Just a quick note of thanks to Gareth, I picked up his donated gear today and it is greatly appreciated. The extra spinning reels will match up well with the pile of rods donated earlier.

You are a good man thank you.