PDA

View Full Version : Quick belt question?

preso
22-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Are all dive belts the same width. I need one about 42mm.:P

kokomo
22-06-2009, 11:41 AM
get a rubber Rob Allen one... wont regret it

sagair
23-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Are all dive belts the same width. I need one about 42mm.:P
The belts I have are 45mm but may have started at 42mm years ago. All my gear is old so I am not sure what more modern kit is. If you have a problem with weights moving on your belt, then squash slightly to tighten them but only enough so you can still remove and replace them. cheers

gleeeza
26-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Why does it need to be 42mm?

Gleeeza

kokomo
27-07-2009, 09:55 AM
I cant streess how good a rubber belt is

FNQCairns
27-07-2009, 10:24 AM
I cant streess how good a rubber belt is

How come?

I just read your thread with the pics in it..... awesome stuff, thanks for sharing.

Hope you plan to keep adding to it.

cheers fnq

kokomo
27-07-2009, 10:32 AM
I find the rubber belts sit and grip firmly around my waste, unlike other belts where you have to pull them very tight which is uncomfortable...

the rubber belts only need to be snug and the rubber natually grips well to the wetsuit and the weights dont slip and slide anywhere..

preso
28-07-2009, 06:56 AM
The reason for the 42mm is that I made the weights. But I found a belt that works ok, with a ittle bit of adjustment to the lead.

Chopper Taylor
02-09-2009, 07:30 AM
I find the rubber belts sit and grip firmly around my waste, unlike other belts where you have to pull them very tight which is uncomfortable...

the rubber belts only need to be snug and the rubber natually grips well to the wetsuit and the weights dont slip and slide anywhere..

what about the elastic weight belts on the market Kokomo? i've seen Omer versions of the elastic, and Picasso versions of the ruber belts. but i cannot find the RA belt you mention.

kokomo
02-09-2009, 08:43 AM
http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://aycu26.webshots.com/image/42825/2000954163632138600_rs.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D58672&usg=__blq3f7A_iEXKPBgx6p1pY-FidcU=&h=278&w=400&sz=16&hl=en&start=1&sig2=1sQXMizUPwPzBrcZP7naIw&um=1&tbnid=p6uQYPN6ClLP4M:&tbnh=86&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Drob%2Ballen%2Bdive%2Bbelt%26hl%3Den%2 6rlz%3D1T4SKPB_enAU232AU233%26um%3D1&ei=EKOdStL1DZu2tAPFwawo

Chopper Taylor
06-09-2009, 07:39 PM
what about weight vests. i reckon they'd be even better still, but i am to see one that i am happy with.

maybe i'll have to get my mum to knock one up for me on the old singer sewing machine.

Badone
06-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Weight vests work fine but be aware they are a little harder to remove in a hurry. Also water can sneak into your suit under your jacket a little easier than with a belt.
Most guys who wear a vest also wear a belt without weights to stop the water entering.

boney-leg
07-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Weight vests work fine but be aware they are a little harder to remove in a hurry. Also water can sneak into your suit under your jacket a little easier than with a belt.
Most guys who wear a vest also wear a belt without weights to stop the water entering.

I've been wearing a vest for a little while now and find it to be really good. I use to get a sore lower back after diving (old age) but I find the vest seems to negate this. Was worried about how quick you can get out of one so as I go into shallow water where the boat is I practice releasing it quickly so it becomes an automatic response.

kokomo
08-09-2009, 02:08 PM
personally i wont look into one until my back plays up!

i enjoy the safety side.. also its almost more important for your buddy to know how to release your weight belt as there is a good chance that he will be the one who will be releasing it!

Badone
09-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Boney, You can't release a vest if you are unconscious. With a belt you can pull the loose end and release the buckle if you think you might not make the surface while keeping the belt around your waist. Then if you black out the belt will fall away because you go limp and release the loose end. Hopefully your suit will be buoyant enough to allow you to float to the surface. This system works... I know.
With a vest you have to make the decision to drop the vest while you are still awake which would get a little expensive in the long run. Vests, by their design, will not fall away by themselves even when unbuckled. They are great on the old back but be aware of their limitations.

boney-leg
10-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Boney, You can't release a vest if you are unconscious ...
With a vest you have to make the decision to drop the vest while you are still awake which would get a little expensive in the long run. Vests, by their design, will not fall away by themselves even when unbuckled.

Point taken Badone but what I do is quick release the waist and one shoulder strap (2 clips)and continue to surface. When I practice this the weight shifts to the remaining strapped shoulder. If I remain still it then pulls the shoulder down and falls off much like your belt does.

Prevention of course is the best option.

Badone
13-09-2009, 10:08 AM
That sounds like a good safe system Boney. I didn't know that the vests would self detach even if unstrapped. Like you said, practice it when things are good so that it's easy when things are not so good.

kokomo
13-09-2009, 10:48 PM
ill never wear a vest...

i have seen black outs.. i have had to drop a weight belt after a deep long dive..

nothing beats the standard belt IMO a weight belt is a consumable..

boney-leg
14-09-2009, 04:28 PM
ill never wear a vest...

i have seen black outs.. i have had to drop a weight belt after a deep long dive..

nothing beats the standard belt IMO a weight belt is a consumable..

If you are seeing black outs (plural) and see your belt as a consumable then maybe you're pushing the envelope a bit too far and moving towards reckless behaviour. I'm not having a go at you mate (each to their own) but just concerned about safety and the message that may send to new people who come into the sport. In my 25 years of diving I haven't seen it once and I hope I never do. This maybe because we rarely dive more than 20m but I'd like to think it's because we don't hyperventilate and know our limits.

Keep up the good work - love the photos but stay safe!!