PDA

View Full Version : Interesting return of serve...to etec

ozscott
18-06-2009, 09:23 PM
www.yamahapitmansmarine.com.au/boats2/newsview.asp?NewsID=5 (http://www.yamahapitmansmarine.com.au/boats2/newsview.asp?NewsID=5)

Found this when searching an F150 on google.

Cheers

EDIT: Dont shoot the messenger - I have a 93 Yamm 115 V4 old tech and love it and dont really give 2 hoots about whether an F150 is better than an ETEC or visa versa...just an interesting site that I thought I would share....so flame each other but not me thanks!

DR
18-06-2009, 09:34 PM
they say it themselves in the first sentence of the summary ...quote "Sometimes things don’t quite line up the way the marketing gurus would have you believe. "

do you really believe that they set up the e-tec to run at it's optimum. only a matter of trim being out or motor up or down a notch further than needed or probably any number of little, almost irrelevant things & it can change. Because they have it in print,I imagine the results would be correct, but I don't believe that they would have set up the e-tec to it's optimum, just me, look in the dictionary at cynical, see my photo..;D

Jabba_
19-06-2009, 05:27 AM
Personaly, I don't believe marketers.. I don't believe BRP set up there competition's out boards with optimum set-ups, and I don't believe Yamaha set up the E-tec to optimum set-up either..

TimiBoy
19-06-2009, 06:51 AM
How do you know when a Sales & Marketing person is lying? Watch the lips...

Still, I, like Jabba, am more than extremely dubious about the BRP videos, too. They're all s bad as each other.

Cheers,

Tim

Mindi
19-06-2009, 07:07 AM
Well the bullshit gets hit back over the net. The only thing this proves is that Yamaha have finally recruited marketers from the same place as BRP.....having given them years start. What a load of selective rubbish.
It demonstrates that a good 4 stroke is more economical than a good DI and that two good DIs are so similar that it doesnt matter (who'd have thought it..?) .... eg 0.07 lm/l on the test...well and truly within normal variations. The driver farting would have that much effect.

If you must compare equipment on cost rather than enjoyment then you have to compare on the basis of "whole of life cost" and that requires including purchase price , resale value recovered, asset financing cost, service and running costs, etc etc ....to select out fuel cost and ignore lubrication and service is just nonsense.
For a start a typical 4 stroke costs $2K-$5K more than a comparable DI and in comparison to ETEC requires $800 more servicing in the first two years......so if I buy a DI and save $4K up front and another $1K in the first two years how long is it going to take you to catch me financially with a fuel advantage of .07 km/l.........err...about 6,000 years..too silly to even estimate.

Might be better to just buy the one you like....shoddy half arsed financial comparisons are designed to mislead whoever uses them....and they ARE financial comparisons...its the "cost" button they are pressing when they talk Km/l etc....not range..who is going to plan a trip based on a theoretical range of 14km more (or less) over 340km...weather conditions will change the range on any given day by much more than that.

wonder why they did the test at 150HP where only 10% of the market lives..? Wouldnt be because they dont even have DIs in popular sizes would it..? How cynical of me....!

Nah...dont fall for this stuff.....I am shopping for a boat this week and it will likely as not be a Yammy 4 stroke... but not because of this crap....

udlman
19-06-2009, 07:11 AM
At least it was an aussie test with aussie boats. I still fail to see how a 2 stroke can out perform a 4 stroke. Just by looking at that a 4 stroke has to use at least 1/2 the fuel of a 2 stroke as it only fires every second rev.

ozscott
19-06-2009, 08:12 AM
Actually what I found amusing was this:

"Generally… that is except for the 4100 rpm to 5100 rpm where the E-TEC consumed a fraction more fuel than Yamaha’s 2-stroke 150hp outboard. Who would have thought that the E-TEC was a less fuel efficient outboard than Yamaha’s trust conventional 2-stroke?"

I dont do any trolling with my 115 V4 Yammyt. I run it usually at 4500rpm to get where Im going. This test, even if it isnt tweaked as well as it might be for BRP, shows an interesting result for the old tech motor in the same power range as the ETEC.

I assumed that ETEC and any modern DI absolutely belted traditional 2 strokes under ALL circumstances (save for purchase costs and lack of things to go wrong...) - I thought from all the marketing of the ETECs that you wouldnt even consider a traditional 2 stroke in the same sentence when it comes to fuel use...now even if the BRP wasnt set up perfectly in this test and even assume that the ETEC might have done a bit better in the hands of BRP isnt it still startling how good the traditional smoker goes in the useful just under and in WOT range....(in that size comparrison of course....I am not suggesting that my 115 uses about the same in that rev range as ETEC 115 - they are all different and that observation may only apply to the 150 v 150..I dont know).

Cheers

fishing111
19-06-2009, 09:03 AM
It's funny how Yamaha decided to include it's 2-stroke for some of the testing, saying that it was slightly better than the E-Tec in the range (4100-5100), but conceding that it's 2 stroke platform will use a little more. Then conveniently for the rest of the testing it is not mentioned again. Then it's the E-Tec that finishes 3rd for the rest of the testing. There were 4 outboards in the testing with Yamaha boasting that the E-Tec come third. This is fine, but why no figures for fourth for the rest of the test's? Could it be that Yamaha don't want to see their name at the bottom of the list, IE 4th for any of it's outboard's? If Yamaha want to be credible, why omit?

Yamaha Blasts The E-TEC Myth

http://www.yamahapitmansmarine.com.au/site_templ/img/pitmans_back_002.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:history.go(-1))

http://www.yamahapitmansmarine.com.au/boats2/ewbv60.asp?fn=%2Fuploads%2Fnews%2Fyam%5Fnews181000 7%2Ejpg&width=150&height=0 (http://javascript<b></b>:popImage('/uploads/news/yam_news1810007.jpg')) Much has been claimed recently about BRP’s E-TEC technology with dazzling claims of alleged product superiority. Yamaha decided it was time to put the record straight so conducted testing on four 150 hp outboard engines… the, Yamaha 150hp carburettor two stroke, Yamaha VMAX 150, Yamaha F150 four stroke outboard and BRP E-TEC 150

In effect Yamaha pitted all of its three technology platforms against the E-TEC. And the results sure came back different to what the E-TEC marketing people have been spruiking.

“At Yamaha we have the luxury of manufacturing three technology platforms,” said Brett Hampson, National Sales and Marketing Manager for Marine Products at Yamaha Motor Australia.

“Rather than being locked into just one form of engine system, at Yamaha we can take a broad objective look at two stroke, four stroke and our High Pressure Direct Injection VMAX engines and make head to head comparisons.”

For the E-TEC test program a single hull (Haines Hunter 6M Breeze) was in turn rigged with each of the four outboard engines. Through the test procedure, each engine was propped for optimum performance. Only then was the test process rigorously documented under controlled conditions.

With electronic and manual recording equipment on hand, each engine was put through its paces. Data was collated to deliver irrefutable information in the five key categories that are of real interest to boaters… speed, economy, km travelled per litre of fuel, best cruise consumption and distance travelled per 200 litre tank.

Speed

Not surprisingly there was very little difference between the four outboards in terms of outright speed. All engines deliver 150hp at the prop, so not surprisingly, the speed right through the rpm range proved to be very similar if not nearly identical for every engine. In the speed category there are no winners and no losers.

Economy

Fuel economy is an area of key interest for boaters. Put simply boaters want to go further on less fuel. As expected the 2 stroke Yamaha used a little more fuel than the later technology engines.

Generally… that is except for the 4100 rpm to 5100 rpm where the E-TEC consumed a fraction more fuel than Yamaha’s 2-stroke 150hp outboard. Who would have thought that the E-TEC was a less fuel efficient outboard than Yamaha’s trust conventional 2-stroke?

Above 3500 rpm Yamaha’s VMAX 150hp model consumed less fuel than E-TEC and above 4500 rpm Yamaha’s 4-stroke F150 consumed less fuel than E-TEC.

In the economy stakes E-TEC is certainly not the tearaway fuel miser that some would have you believe. Depending on what rpm range you operate your engine, Yamaha VMAX, 2 stroke and 4-stroke engines are definitely less thirsty than E-TEC.

Kilometers Per Litre

Fuel consumption figures are one thing, but ‘how much fuel it takes to travel a given distance’ is the real world translation of the fuel data.

In the bottom end of the rev range, particularly around idle, E-TEC returns okay figures. But once the throttle pushes engine RPM above 1500 rpm, Yamaha’s 4-stroke F150 leads the way. From 1500 rpm to 3500 rpm, the F150 delivers more distance for less fuel than E-TEC. From about 3500 rpm to wide open throttle, Yamaha’s VMAX 150 outguns the E-TEC again delivering greater distance travelled on less fuel.

If the majority of your boating is sub 3500 rpm, then Yamaha’s 4 stroke F150 will deliver greater distance travelled than E-TEC. If you are more of a full throttle boater, then clearly Yamaha’s VMAX 150 is the fuel efficiency choice.

So how does this data translate to a day on the water? Yamaha took each rig and found the sweet spot; the performance criteria where best cruise speed consumption was achieved.

Best Cruise Consumption

Under this test situation, the Yamaha 4-stroke F150 travelled 1.89 kilometres per litre of fuel consumed. Second best was the Yamaha VMAX 150 outboard that travelled 1.67 kilometres on a litre of fuel. E-TEC came in a clear third, travelling 1.6 kilometres on a litre of fuel. Even under cruise conditions where E-TEC is supposed to be superior, Yamaha holds a distinct advantage with both its 4-stroke and VMAX technology.

Distance Travelled Per 200 Litre Tank

This is the ultimate test for any serious blue water angler. Given a 200 litre tank of fuel on board, how far can I travel – what is my cruise range?

Boaters will go further with both Yamaha 4-stroke and VMAX power than E-TEC. The Yamaha F150 delivered a cruise range of 378 km, the Yamaha VMAX 334 km. The E-TEC 150 will take boaters just 320 km on 200 litres of fuel at optimum cruise speed.

The simple answer for blue water boaters who want to go way offshore and come home again, is to choose Yamaha 4-stroke or Yamaha VMAX ahead of E-TEC. You will benefit from going further on less fuel.

Summary.

Sometimes things don’t quite line up the way the marketing gurus would have you believe. Yamaha’s testing under Australian conditions on an Australian built hull clearly demonstrates that Yamaha 4 stroke and VMAX technology in the main delivers superior fuel consumption and performance figures to E-TEC.

With three technology platforms on offer to customers (2-stroke, 4-stroke and VMAX) Yamaha is able to provide the most appropriate power choice to suit the customer’s style of boating. BRP offers a single technology platform - E-TEC.

Yamaha outboards are available through an Australia-wide network of authorised Yamaha outboard dealers. The Yamaha range comprises trusty and dependable two stroke models from 2hp to 200hp, High Pressure Direct Injection VMAX models from 150hp to 200hp and low emission fuel efficient four stroke models from 2.5hp to the world’s largest production outboard- the 350hp V8 Yamaha F350.

Boat Sales, Neville Wilkinson Updated:18-10-2007

ozscott
19-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Mate - I noticed that too...I wonder why they bothered to include the old tech from the outset....and the fact that they dont refer to it again does them no credit, but any astute reader can see why.

BUT...the rev range they they are talking about is typical for most of my running at least in the Bay so as I say its very interesting - who would have thought?

Cheers

ozbee
19-06-2009, 10:09 AM
yamaha jumped in to grab there flagship motor the 150 which is known to be at the top of the 10% figure or slightly above. it is a very good motor but every manufacturer has its jems amongst it lines as well as its average to cut costs otherwise you would have different size cubes for every hp range. a cost that would send outboards through the roof.

STUIE63
19-06-2009, 10:35 AM
I liked this bit

If the majority of your boating is sub 3500 rpm, then Yamaha’s 4 stroke F150 will deliver greater distance travelled than E-TEC. If you are more of a full throttle boater, then clearly Yamaha’s VMAX 150 is the fuel efficiency choice.

does this mean that for cruising the direct injection motors are better than four strokes
Stuie

Mindi
19-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Mate....if you start applying critical thinking practices to marketing stuff you will go stone bonkers mad. The way you write something like this is to put all the info on the table...choose all the stuff that promotes what you want to push...and just leave out the rest....enough people swallow it hook line and sinker to make it worthwhile....dont analyse it...go fishing.!

ozscott
19-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Im still amused by the old tech....what the hell is going on there...

ozscott
19-06-2009, 11:24 AM
...its all just bollocks in the end. The fact is that if I could afford and justify say a new tech (DI or 4 stroke) 150hp I would be absolutely stoked with any of the ones on test here...I mean they are all amazing, complicated, quiet, beautiful engines arent they? Having one on the back of the boat would be a thing of beauty (way down the track out of warranty I dont want to think about how much they might cost to find and rectify faults given all that tech but thats another story)...

Also, if you say won one of these motors and had it on the back lets face it you would be swelling with pride and saying that this is the best motor EVER!!!

Cheers

CCDrifter
19-06-2009, 03:09 PM
I think they should have also compared motors on mono compared to multi hulls just to really put the cat amongst the pidgeons

RJ5023
19-06-2009, 03:51 PM
That salesman will now be able to quote this comparison to all buyers that wander into his showroom - and they might not be in a position to query the data or the methods used. He can selectively quote any part of it that applies to the product that he's trying to sell his current customer.

If he wasn't worried about Etec sales growth, why go to all this trouble to target them?

He can sell excellent Yamaha 2 stroke, 4 stroke and HPDI engines - what's he worried about?

Answer: One HPDI manufacturer - BRP. Not Honda, Suzuki, Mercury, Tohatsu et al.

Speaks volumes.

I'd be happy to buy either an Etec or a Yamaha (both excellent) - but not from him!

Cheers,
RJ

Jabba_
19-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Actually what I found amusing was this:

"Generally… that is except for the 4100 rpm to 5100 rpm where the E-TEC consumed a fraction more fuel than Yamaha’s 2-stroke 150hp outboard. Who would have thought that the E-TEC was a less fuel efficient outboard than Yamaha’s trust conventional 2-stroke?"

I dont do any trolling with my 115 V4 Yammyt. I run it usually at 4500rpm to get where Im going. This test, even if it isnt tweaked as well as it might be for BRP, shows an interesting result for the old tech motor in the same power range as the ETEC.

I assumed that ETEC and any modern DI absolutely belted traditional 2 strokes under ALL circumstances (save for purchase costs and lack of things to go wrong...) - I thought from all the marketing of the ETECs that you wouldnt even consider a traditional 2 stroke in the same sentence when it comes to fuel use...now even if the BRP wasnt set up perfectly in this test and even assume that the ETEC might have done a bit better in the hands of BRP isnt it still startling how good the traditional smoker goes in the useful just under and in WOT range....(in that size comparrison of course....I am not suggesting that my 115 uses about the same in that rev range as ETEC 115 - they are all different and that observation may only apply to the 150 v 150..I dont know).

Cheers
I don't know if I would totaly believe that Scotty..... Take the ski racers for example.... All off the racers that switch from a carby motor to the E-tec HO's are using half the amount off fuel compared to there carby motors,, and we all know there motors never come below 5000 rpm during a race...

Also the Yamie 150 is suppose to be Yamaha's gun motor putting out 165hp at the prop. Thats on the edge off the 10% rule...

stinky-stabi
19-06-2009, 04:21 PM
well with all this said im still glad i sold my 6month old efi yammy 4 banger ...and purchased the E-tec...im the first one to admit brps marketing stinks so much that it nearly turned me off the purchase ...lucky my wits came bak an i bought the better of the two ....ive owned both motors in the last 2 years an i can bet my balls that my 90 etec is more fuel effiecent than my 60 yammy efi was...dont care wot u got to say as i had em an used em ...pppfffffff...yes does sound like yamaha have employed the idiot from BRP....

dfox
19-06-2009, 04:35 PM
well with all this said im still glad i sold my 6month old efi yammy 4 banger ...and purchased the E-tec...im the first one to admit brps marketing stinks so much that it nearly turned me off the purchase ...lucky my wits came bak an i bought the better of the two ....ive owned both motors in the last 2 years an i can bet my balls that my 90 etec is more fuel effiecent than my 60 yammy efi was...dont care wot u got to say as i had em an used em ...pppfffffff...yes does sound like yamaha have employed the idiot from BRP....

So did your stabi have a 60 and you changed it to a 90?
If this is your comparison of the two then what youve stated is rubbish ...

siegfried
19-06-2009, 04:39 PM
If they were on the same boat Stink the 90 shoulda been better cause it would not have been working as hard, anyway looks like the labour partys spin docters are all working for outboard mobs ay

ozscott
19-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Jabba - Im not sure I do believe it Jabba...my surprise is probably evident in my posts! I would like to...then I can pocket some serious cash :)

Cheers

lippa
19-06-2009, 06:07 PM
as the HONDA keeps quiet and plugging away the etec and yammy boys will play!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stinky-stabi
19-06-2009, 06:57 PM
So did your stabi have a 60 and you changed it to a 90?
If this is your comparison of the two then what youve stated is rubbish ...

yeah wat ever ,,glad u knew the everything ..pmsl
it was on a 4.65 alloy pressed hull weighing 225kgs tiller steer all up it was pretty heavy on the arse end with all the weight of that 4 banger...lolololol

wetryin
19-06-2009, 08:40 PM
As a (previous) owner of an etec 115 and now the new owner of a 100 Yam I was ( I can now say) a sucker and bought an etec over yam in the first place. The yamaha offers by far better fuel consumption tham the etec not to mention the overpriced 2 stroke oil that you must use to validate warranty at $70 for 4 litres. Over a year I used 3 x 4 litre containers. Thats alot extra to tack on to the fuel bill.
Should I go into the other stuff, etecs are noiser & fumes are noticeably more particularly at low trolling speed (just my opinion)

Goldfinch
19-06-2009, 08:46 PM
The one that starts first time, every time, wins.

Any motor manufacturer that claims you don't need to have a motor serviced in the first 3 years is telling porkies as far as I'm concerned.

dfox
19-06-2009, 09:00 PM
it was on a 4.65 alloy pressed hull weighing 225kgs tiller steer all up it was pretty heavy on the arse end with all the weight of that 4 banger...lolololol

Stinky, im not after a fight but you say your glad you got rid of the 60 yammy in this post, yet you started another thread saying youve had drama's with the 90etec and maybe you should have kept the yammy?
How can you bag and engine that never failed yet praise the current one that has.
Im just surprised by your comments...

siegfried
19-06-2009, 09:03 PM
I think theres more headstones with etec on em then Yammy four stk:-X

hsv 408
19-06-2009, 09:46 PM
I thought people bought etecs when the better motors were financially out of reach;)

lippa
19-06-2009, 10:47 PM

the big tiller boat i had loved weight in the arse end. if those 75-90hp tiller hondas had been round then, i probably woulnd't have the boat i have now.;D

Mindi
20-06-2009, 02:26 PM
For ETEC owners I noticed in the new BRP dealer in Noosaville (Laguna Boating) that XD100 is $50 for 1 US Gallon....a bit under 4 litres. Actually it was 2 for $100. This makes it $13.21 a litre.

ozbee
20-06-2009, 03:36 PM
yeah and a yammie is one third cheaper same old story

stinky-stabi
20-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Stinky, im not after a fight but you say your glad you got rid of the 60 yammy in this post, yet you started another thread saying youve had drama's with the 90etec and maybe you should have kept the yammy?
How can you bag and engine that never failed yet praise the current one that has.
Im just surprised by your comments...

i did have a few niggles with my other motor an yes this one has had its hiccup, an after all is said an done like most say a motor is just a motor...lololol
i would own anything as long as it gets me there an back ...as for the oil i have used two and a half containers an done 139 hours ?????
no probs dfox hav a good w/end

finding_time
20-06-2009, 10:34 PM
4.65 alloy pressed hull weighing 225kgs tiller steer all up it was pretty heavy on the arse end with all the weight of that 4 banger...lolololol

The weight of the 4 banger hey? Stinky just to bring you up to date mate the Yami 60 4 stroke weighs in at 110 kg and a 60 e-tec weighs in at 109 kg so all were talking about is 1 kg::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) I really dont think that that is going to effect your performace all that much!;) What will effect your performance is that the e-tec displacement is 863cc with 2 cylinders and the Yami 60 4-strokes displacement is 996cc with 4 cylinders! Now if you had compared the Yami f60 and the e-tec 60 on the same boat i think you would have gone with the yami for ocean use, the extra 1kg:P would have been forgotten in a real test as it's talk on the ocean would be far superior!! Like the 150 yami the f60 yami is a gem of an engine!!;)

Ps i very much doubt that a 90 e-tec would use much less fuel than a 60 hp yami ! And as i have sais before i like the 90 e-tec but you have to be faired dinkum about your comparison!;)

ian

GBC
21-06-2009, 07:26 AM
Yamaha picked their mark well with the 150 hp range - the etec is a 4cyl towards the upper limit of it's performance for capacity against 3 lazy 6's.

I'd be taking the new 150 honda personally.

Oh and etec's have just had(having) a price rise which brings it very close in price to the top markers now in the 150 hp range (within $1300 fitted, propped and with instruments for a fair comparison against the Honda)

Mindi
21-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Yamaha picked their mark well with the 150 hp range - the etec is a 4cyl towards the upper limit of it's performance for capacity against 3 lazy 6's.

I'd be taking the new 150 honda personally.

Oh and etec's have just had(having) a price rise which brings it very close in price to the top markers now in the 150 hp range (within $1300 fitted, propped and with instruments for a fair comparison against the Honda)

Exactly... you just cant take these things seriously. They are carefully put together to mislead by comparing apples with oranges and then selecting "facts" to fit the objective....by both BRP and Yammy and by most others too I guess..?

I think one of the most offensive ads I have ever seen is the ETEC one where two smug braindeads watch a Yammy driver destroy a dock through incompetence after struggling to reverse into the water....the message is "idiots buy Yamaha"... my next motor will be much more influenced by the good advice from Ausfish members rather than garbage like that....yeah..I know.....it's "just an ad"....

Catweb
21-06-2009, 09:49 AM
I always maintain preference should be based on personal experience and sound advice from forums such as this.

My last boat was an old pressed tin 16' cuddy with a 70 Yam 2 stroke. The engine was very reliable and at the time I thought fairly economical to run. I now have a 16' Webster with a 90 Etec. The engine is much quieter, cleaner and uses a little more than half the fuel the 70 Yam used and about a quarter of the oil.

I also used to own a 2 stroke 90 Yam on a 525 Stacer CC. My 90 Etec uses less than half the fuel that motor did but at the time I was more than happy with my 90 Yam.

At this point in time I am very happy with my 90 Etec.

The marketing bods can take their crap elsewhere for mine. Heaven forbid I EVER made a buying decision on what any of them had to say!!

Mindi
21-06-2009, 10:09 AM
I always maintain preference should be based on personal experience and sound advice from forums such as this.

My last boat was an old pressed tin 16' cuddy with a 70 Yam 2 stroke. The engine was very reliable and at the time I thought fairly economical to run. I now have a 16' Webster with a 90 Etec. The engine is much quieter, cleaner and uses a little more than half the fuel the 70 Yam used and about a quarter of the oil.

I also used to own a 2 stroke 90 Yam on a 525 Stacer CC. My 90 Etec uses less than half the fuel that motor did but at the time I was more than happy with my 90 Yam.

At this point in time I am very happy with my 90 Etec.

The marketing bods can take their crap elsewhere for mine. Heaven forbid I EVER made a buying decision on what any of them had to say!!

Agree.... I have had really good Yammies including an early 150 which would have pulled out stumps, and a 90 2 Stroke which always had some sort of fuel supply problem and would suddenly stop dead when run at WOT for 10-15 minutes for no reason anyone could ever find..?.. have had an old V4 Johnno also which was old when I got it, worked perfectly for about 4 years and was still roaring along when I sold it....so I figure there is some luck in outboards as well.

Dave_H
21-06-2009, 12:57 PM
After recently purchasing a new 90hp carbied 2 stroke my only advice to anyone in the market for new outboard is to talk to the people who work on them for a living, not those sell them for a living.

Regards,

Dave.

ozscott
21-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Dave - I assume mate that you are talking about reliability of so called "old tech" versus "new tech" - if you are I couldnt agree more. If you are talking about using the boat once every week or every month and not going hundreds of ks a week then I reckon the only thing that makes sense is a carbed 2 stroke...that is of course if you dont mind some smoke (which I dont) and perhaps some extra noise (which I dont). One thing for sure...I would always be bloody worried owning a modern motor well out of warranty...but its a personal thing, if you are willing to put up with much higher costs out of warranty (no one can seriously argue against this - if you go to the 10-20 year mark there will be a host of sensors and injectors to take into account over a carbed motor) then you will buy the modern tech motor regardless.

Cheers

dreemon
21-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Just yesterday I bought a 93 yam 90 hp off ebay, a very impulsive buy, but got it for $ 2200, and thought Hmmm, wonder what I got?:-/ , I didn't even go to see if it ran, but met up with the guy and he seemed genuine, the thing was all boxed so I didn't open it till today, clean oil came out of the gearbox, pulled the plugs and they had been firing Perfect ;D , will do comp test tomarow, pulled the thermastat out and all was pretty good , just gave it all a good clean.

but like you said Ozscott, I;ll prob get it out 1 or 2 x a month and smell , noise doesn't worry me at all, but far out !! I don't even have a boat to put it on:P

Reel Blue
21-06-2009, 03:02 PM
"Yamaha picked their mark well with the 150 hp range - the etec is a 4cyl towards the upper limit of it's performance for capacity against 3 lazy 6's."

I believe that the 150 ETEC is a V6 displacing 158 cu inch, the 150 Yamaha 4 Stroke is a 4cyl displacing 163 cu inch.

Splash
21-06-2009, 03:20 PM
....... why is there always a need to bag the etec (more than any other brand) on this forum ........ ?

Splash

ozscott
21-06-2009, 03:43 PM
I think that the "need" to bag Etec is more because if its one thing that Australian's can smell a mile off and dont like its BS....and even worse than that its Yank BS! The ETEC could be the best motor in the world but if the marketing insults our intelligence we tend to rail against it...and unfortunately that also rails against the motor. We also dont like the too good to be true advertising whatever it is. I think thats all it is mate but thats just my gut feeling. BTW I didnt post up the site address to flame Etec...far from it because I like most of what I hear about them - I did it because it was interesting and of interest to boaters.

Cheers

spaniard
21-06-2009, 04:13 PM
I think that the "need" to bag Etec is more because if its one thing that Australian's can smell a mile off and dont like its BS....and even worse than that its Yank BS! The ETEC could be the best motor in the world but if the marketing insults our intelligence we tend to rail against it...and unfortunately that also rails against the motor. We also dont like the too good to be true advertising whatever it is. I think thats all it is mate but thats just my gut feeling. BTW I didnt post up the site address to flame Etec...far from it because I like most of what I hear about them - I did it because it was interesting and of interest to boaters.

Cheers

Your correct, we never had other modern 2strokes like opti,hpdi or tohatsu making outrages claims and insulting advertisments like the marketing group of brp .

Skusto
21-06-2009, 05:12 PM
so im assuming its all because of this add etec done?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-7I00cZUE0

ozscott
21-06-2009, 05:25 PM
that one probably started it matey.

They tried to use humour after that...

I think this type of mine is bigger than yours advert in absurd and it proves what we all know that instant throttle response is the domain of the 2 stroke but engine longevity, broad torque and power ranges, economy, etc are different questions.

Cheers

siegfried
21-06-2009, 05:26 PM
....... why is there always a need to bag the etec (more than any other brand) on this forum ........ ?

Splash
Because they are as reliable as second hand whipper snippers;D

OPTI
21-06-2009, 06:12 PM
notice they wont try that crap against a merc :o

finding_time
21-06-2009, 06:24 PM
notice they wont try that crap against a merc :o

Yep i did notice that! Merc probably dont have enough market share for evinrude to worry about pinching any!!!;) ;D ;D ;D ;D

OPTI
21-06-2009, 06:29 PM
blawblawblawblaw ,:D

Jabba_
21-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Actualy out off the big 4 merc market share is the lowest.. Hence why BRP went for the big fish (Yamaha) in it's marketing.. And that is from very good friend off mine who is a Yamaha dealer...

OPTI
21-06-2009, 06:52 PM
i take it thats in australia not the world

Jabba_
21-06-2009, 07:04 PM
i take it thats in australia not the world
World wide..
Apparently at the time the marketing was made Yamaha had 50% market share across the world... Again, that is why BRP targeted Yamaha in it marketing.....
Merc has it's biggest market share in the USA, but Yamaha has the biggest market share there also.....

finding_time
21-06-2009, 08:08 PM
I didn't think i was far off!

Splash
21-06-2009, 09:11 PM
All you guys are intelligent and love to analyse all things boating/fishing.

If marketing is the major reason why people slam ETEC, it's performance must not be so bad then I guess..

I won't need to remind you that ETEC have achieved very smart market exposure through their marketing by slamming other brands in an exotic way (good or bad).

This way of marketing has grabbed alot of people's attention in the boating fraternity and especially on this forum. "Any news is good news" as they say..

In turn, people's emotions are stirred and keep talking about it and the perpetual interest (good and bad) is continually generated in ETEC and on Ausfish.

IMO, for all those ETEC haters, perhaps the best way to help reduce BRP market share of 2T is not to discuss ETEC at all to anyone or add comments on this forum - so that you do not continue to generate FREE advertising to the powerful BRP marketing machine...

FWIW, I would never have taken any interest in ETEC if this ongoing fued (for several years now) had not taken place. These discussions have ignited the curiosity in me and forced me to investigate and compare this unit to it's 4T peers in the event of purchasing a brand new outboard. I'm sure I'm not alone here either...

I am not takign sides here but it is simply an observation from an interested spectator with an interest in marketing and psychology.

Splash

bennyboy
22-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Actualy out off the big 4 merc market share is the lowest.. Hence why BRP went for the big fish (Yamaha) in it's marketing.. And that is from very good friend off mine who is a Yamaha dealer...

If you check out the latest OEDA figures (Outboard Engine Distributers Association) figures you will find that Yamaha has the most market share followed by Mercury, both in the mid 30% figures, no other manufacturer holds more than 10%, Yamaha in the last quarter increased it's market share at the cost of BRP

Jabba_
22-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Thanks Benny.. I google search and only show up this http://www.oeda.com.au/
It mentions noting about market share...
Do you have the correct link...

stinky-stabi
22-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Thanks Benny.. I google search and only show up this http://www.oeda.com.au/
It mentions noting about market share...
Do you have the correct link...

im with you jabba i cannot find a thing mentioning market share......
oh yes i did etec 65% yamaha 11% seagull 9% mercury well every boat has a anchor.....just a bit of humour boyz so dont get to worked up :gossip:

so its says on the dvd...lolololol.pmsl

Greg P
22-06-2009, 08:01 PM
You want to see market share you have to pay.

http://www.erginternational.com.au/services/marine.aspx

We use ERG for our Hyd Rockbreaker sales figures but I aint got access to that info.

Wahoo
23-06-2009, 05:32 PM
haha this thread is getting goood, now i can clearly see why some people need to wear a name tag............lol

Daz